project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
09 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

View Poll Results: How Much Splash Damage should AtG AT Missiles Have vs Armoured Vehicles?
Little to None, as per the v1.0 Open Beta 32 21.05%
~25% so it takes 4 near misses to kill a Tank (less vs APCs) 39 25.66%
~50% so that it 2 near misses to kill a Tank (less vs APCs) 39 25.66%
~75% so it takes 1.5 near misses to kill a Tank (~1 near miss to kill an APC) 21 13.82%
100% so a near miss will kill any vehicle within a 5m (possibly smaller) radius 14 9.21%
A Near Miss should kill any Vehicle within a 10m radius like in v0.98 7 4.61%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-08-22, 12:36   #31
Raic
Default Re: AtG AT Missile Splash Damage

If CAS can affect the strike then make the damage of misses minimal. If the CAS cannot affect the hit, be it with position or angle of approach, the splash damage should be a little higher.
Raic is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 20:45   #32
ExeTick
Supporting Member

Lazes usually make me miss the target. lazes are a little bit above the vehicle and that make the hellfire land behind and do minimal damage. to kill it with LT missile you need to come in on a perfect altitude to kill it.

ExeTick is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 21:21   #33
MaSSive

Voted 25% but this could depend on type of the missile, as stated previously, and type of the vehicle.

So near miss on light armored vehicles, such as BRDM2/Hummer etc, would at least kill the crew, or driver and render vehicle useless, flipped, or damaged to the point there's no repair.

Medium armored such as some types of APCs would make maybe 2 near missed tracking the vehiclle while any next would kill it.

MBTs - 3 near misses and tank is tracked, fourth is a critical damage, only bailout will save you.

Something like that.
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 13:18   #34
Killer2354

Wait... if the missiles are different in code wise, why not make the LT missile do enough splash damage to kill if it gets a near miss because of the way lazes work in BF2 and keep the LG missiles as is? In theory, that should make it win-win since you need skill to kill with a LG while you're guaranteed at least to almost, if not kill a vehicle if you fired on a laze.
Killer2354 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 14:24   #35
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer2354 View Post
Wait... if the missiles are different in code wise, why not make the LT missile do enough splash damage to kill if it gets a near miss because of the way lazes work in BF2 and keep the LG missiles as is? In theory, that should make it win-win since you need skill to kill with a LG while you're guaranteed at least to almost, if not kill a vehicle if you fired on a laze.
This is actually a pretty brilliant idea IMO, it sorts out both problems at once! And encourages teamwork at the same time
Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 14:37   #36
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer2354 View Post
Its an idea that's been talked about before but not a route we want to take. Having the same missile magically do more damage because its being fired in a different tracking mode just doesn't make sense

From what I've seen and experienced of the Laser Targeted missiles so far is this isn't actually much of a problem, with most missiles striking the target directly, even from jets. I will admit I haven't seen too many and haven't gunned from a chopper in v1.0, but all of my AtG missiles from jets I've fired, and seen directed from both Choppers and Jets have hit, with only seeing one miss, which I'm pretty sure was an AtG missile from a jet, when I was in a tank
And tbh, that kinda hit rate represents what you have in r/l too as these missiles do miss quite a bit in r/l too

On top of this there have been some developments from Mats391 in the community modding forums with making more effective lasers, which is where the problem really lies
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f38...st-lasers.html

Last edited by [R-DEV]Rhino; 2013-09-13 at 14:42..
Old 2013-09-13, 20:16   #37
Celestial1

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
On top of this there have been some developments from Mats391 in the community modding forums with making more effective lasers, which is where the problem really lies
I think refining the laze system itself would be the best if it was feasible. Alongside Mats391's changes, if we could figure out a way to fix the lazes floating over the vehicles when they are lazed, we'd be much, much better off.

If all else fails, I'd say 50-75% damage if within like 2 meters would be pretty fair. I'm not sure how far the missiles usually miss, but the ones that I have survived from lazes being wonky were extremely, extremely close to me anyway.
Celestial1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 20:35   #38
chrisweb89
PR Server License Moderator

Rhino, the lases and LT mode is still very broken. I have seen it from pilot, and spotter view against tanks and even APCs, and they are not efficient at all. Only time to use LT as a chopper gunner would be on light light targets, or AA that is locking you. Anything else and its a waste of time because even with firing 2 you still may not get the kill on a perfectly good lase.
chrisweb89 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 10:07   #39
MaSSive

Well you dont lase so it sticks above vehicle..that's your bad. If vehicle is on the move laze in front of his path of moving and if its stick on its top, laze again or it will likely miss the target.

Usually lazing tracks very low from the side works for me, but when I gun for a gunship I dont rely on lazes at all. Usually its a waste of ammo, since no pubbies can laze effectively, so I rely on my own manual guidance.

With jets its a whole different thing. Rather than using a missile on the laze I use LGB, so if doesn't kill a tank or APC it will damage it severely.

One thing is for sure needed to change. Lazers should not be visible as target boxes by the one whos lazing. Something like Arma system of laze is when you just can see a red dot on the target if its closer than XX meters. This vanilla target box is to arcadish and can be seen by enemy. Also lazers dont take sides, so often smacktars laze their own blue guys for the lols, and reckless pilots does the damage.

Looking forward to see the change.
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 12:40   #40
Mongolian_dude
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Its an idea that's been talked about before but not a route we want to take. Having the same missile magically do more damage because its being fired in a different tracking mode just doesn't make sense

From what I've seen and experienced of the Laser Targeted missiles so far is this isn't actually much of a problem, with most missiles striking the target directly, even from jets. I will admit I haven't seen too many and haven't gunned from a chopper in v1.0, but all of my AtG missiles from jets I've fired, and seen directed from both Choppers and Jets have hit, with only seeing one miss, which I'm pretty sure was an AtG missile from a jet, when I was in a tank
And tbh, that kinda hit rate represents what you have in r/l too as these missiles do miss quite a bit in r/l too

Sorry Rhino, but it looks like giving the LT and LG Helfires different damage values is the only way to make the weapons act realistically if you insist on giving LG an small splash damage.

...mongol...

Military lawyers engaged in fierce legal action.
Mongolian_dude is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
atg, damage, missile, splash