project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
22 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2015-07-21, 07:45   #31
Cavazos
Default Re: Useless team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron366 View Post
I told the APC to stop looking for meaningless kills on the other side of the map and go help the infantry take down the cache and he just ignored me , What's up with this community ?
Trying to get the person to do what you want to do by criticizing them, will not help get the cooperation of said person.

Also, having 2 years experience in this game is great, I consider you a veteran of this game! Good on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimushroom View Post
Squad leaders not responding or doing anything is unfortunately always a problem
How very true.

Squad leaders are used to operating on their own agenda, as most rounds do not have a dedicated commander. So when one does come around, it is not a smooth transition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Walker View Post
Being the commander does not give you the right to order every player around. Its more like a Forward Air Controller role.
Last I checked, Squad Leaders were required to follow commander orders. Is that no longer present on servers?

Perhaps the commander would be better as a FAC. In my experience however, it is more effective when a commander coordinates 49 people. Otherwise the highest level of coordination you have is someone leading 5 people.
Last edited by Cavazos; 2015-07-21 at 08:27..
Old 2015-07-21, 10:06   #32
Jedimushroom
Supporting Member

Quote:
Last I checked, Squad Leaders were required to follow commander orders. Is that no longer present on servers?
I can tell you that at least on the OD-S server, and assuming a basic level of competence, the commander must be obeyed.

"God will strike him down when he checks his email and sees young Fighter has turd burgling tendancies. Could you imagine going to church knowing your son takes it up the wrong 'un?" - [R-Dev]Gaz on 'Fighter137'
Jedimushroom is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-21, 13:03   #33
Heavy Death

After a while I played some rounds after the standalone. At the release, the expected was happening. People with absolutely 0 clue, you know, the same old.

But now, they left, as planned and preached and only those who have atleast slight interest in the game have stayed. The problem I am facing is, that they do not operate efficiently. Healing, reviving and even ammo bag are a problem and in a firefight but these utmost basics need to be automatic, even with the new players. This is the gripe. If only there was a standardized tutorial of some sorts avaliable to the players since they won't bother to check the forums or search for yt vids. :/ I feel that they are great new people that can be molded into very nice independent thinking players and brilliant SLs down the road.
Heavy Death is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-21, 14:41   #34
mat552

Quote:
Originally Posted by [TP]Cavazos View Post
Not for most of them, they either have the rule on the books and no one able or willing to enforce it or the rule isn't there. I haven't seen anybody disciplined for ignoring commander orders since at least 1.0, the position has been largely vestigial since long before that.

Who needs a commander to decide strategy when mumble lets you have a SL to SL powwow any time you want? Who needs one person in charge of the map when every SL can mark it as they need to? Maybe somebody steps up to be a UAV driver but the developers have done a phenomenal job of making the CO obsolete.

I'm sure somebody will jump to tell me why I'm wrong but the results kind of speak for themselves.
Last edited by mat552; 2015-07-21 at 14:52..
Old 2015-07-21, 18:17   #35
Wing Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat552 View Post
I'm sure somebody will jump to tell me why I'm wrong but the results kind of speak for themselves.
You are right.

There is no reason too listen to the commander.

The Commander role in PR functions exactly as a Forward Air Controller would. Or any other recon role would (dare I say SNIPER?).

The commander has no authority to tell any SL anything. If there is a server that enforced fallowing commander orders, then good for them, I've never seen it.

When I run as SL myself, I have never took anything a Commander said seriously, and pretty much just used what he says and a situational update.

Your squad is engaged in an effort, and unless you agree, and see a tactical advantage, you're not going to deviate in the middle of it because a "Commander" thinks he can say so. Most other SLs seem to act the same.

Make the role a FAC, or give the Commander some functions to enforce orders, essentially give the commander of a team Admin abilities (which would never happen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedrake42 View Post
Yeah idk what everyone keeps talking about with less teamwork since standalone or whatever, I've been playing this game for like... 8 years now or something obscene and it feels the same (if not way better) than it ever has.
I would actually have to say it is better. There have been so many more new guys here that are wanting to learn and get good at it and become part of the PR-community since the Standalone.

We didn't seem to have that way back when, just influxes of people sucking and the haters, not the learners or the "good new guys" that we seem to have a lot of now.

All the new guys I've ran into now have been positive, maybe "shy" but they for the most part didn't just shoot crap at the main.

And the loan wolfs I've had to deal with for the most part came back to the squad, and I've had to do very little kicking.
Wing Walker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-21, 20:21   #36
matty1053

There has been a lot of new players that want to learn to play. But there's a lot that DON'T want to.

Majority of the new players didn't and don't want to read the manual. And that is a huge issue. Every game I have been in I have seen at least 5 chat lines... "How do I request a kit?". I had a squad yesterday of 6 new players and 5/6 wanted to learn. 4/6 read the manual. The one guy that didn't want to learn acted like he knew every mechanic of the game... which he obviously didn't. I usually ask when I'm squad leading... "Is anyone here new to PR or newer?". I don't have issues with many new players. I have issues with ones that think this is Battlefield 4 where you do what ever you want.

Again, steamroll rounds do fall on the admins a lot. Especially if it occurs 2 rounds straight.

I still think there should be a requirement to read the manual. Maybe have the manual interactive and have questions on every page.

In the kit request page... have: "How do you request kits?" (A)J (B)LMB (C)T (D)Numpad +

I just have hopes that a major youtuber like devildog doesn't post another video. As he never in one video actually led a squad properly. He just mutes mumble and takes a marksman kit. That promotes new player that watch his video... "Hey, I guess it's ok to not teamwork and just get a sniper kit!!!!!!!". Then they download PR and repeat his dumb actions.

**No offense to bluedrake as he actually teamworks and plays VERY well.
matty1053 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-21, 20:43   #37
Cavazos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimushroom View Post
I can tell you that at least on the OD-S server, and assuming a basic level of competence, the commander must be obeyed.
I know OD-S wouldn't tolerate incompetence at the commander's chair.
Cavazos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-21, 20:47   #38
Cavazos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Walker View Post
Your squad is engaged in an effort, and unless you agree, and see a tactical advantage, you're not going to deviate in the middle of it because a "Commander" thinks he can say so. Most other SLs seem to act the same.
A commander must take into consideration of the status of the squad. He cannot expect them to always be able to perform a task. And while squad leaders always know what is the best tactical advantage to them, they are not paying attention to the best tactical advantage to the team as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat552 View Post
Who needs a commander to decide strategy when mumble lets you have a SL to SL powwow any time you want? Who needs one person in charge of the map when every SL can mark it as they need to? Maybe somebody steps up to be a UAV driver but the developers have done a phenomenal job of making the CO obsolete.
That can be done as well. As a squad leader sometimes i'll coordinate with another squad, if I take the initiative on that. I've never had another squad take the initiative and asked me to coordinate with them.

Also, i've never seen an entire team coordinate through SL to SL alone. I've never even seen 3 squads coordinating together much less 9 through SL to SL. The only times i've seen teams coordinating with more than 2 squads together is when there is a commander.

There is nothing stopping multiple squads working together through SL to SL, but as it has been said, squad leaders don't deviate from their own plans unless they also think it is a good idea. And since we are human beings, we are always inclined to think our way is better than other people's way.
Last edited by Cavazos; 2015-07-21 at 20:59..
Old 2015-07-21, 23:44   #39
L4gi
Server Administrator (A-N)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [TP]Cavazos View Post
I know OD-S wouldn't tolerate incompetence at the commander's chair.
Indeed!

Personally, I strongly believe a competent commander should do just that -> command his team. Not too many people in the community have the vision needed to successfully run the show. Having a competent commander incharge of a team will yield awesome results compared to just a bunch of SLs deciding amongst themselves who is going where, since the commander can plan a few steps forward etc.
L4gi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-23, 03:18   #40
fatalsushi83

One thing I learned is that when you lead a squad, you don't usually know what's happening to each individual squad member. You may be yelling at someone who is lagging behind to move up but he may be pinned down or trying to heal himself. That's why I usually say things like "Are you able to catch up with us? What's holding you up?" instead of "Get the fu*k up here now!" The same goes for the commander. He should understand what you're squad is doing instead of getting pissed off with you if you're not following his orders. Once I even had a commander report me for "Disobeying orders and wasting assets" because I refused an order to take my squad across a kilometer of open ground that was being covered by enemy assets in order to try to take the enemy flag. Now that's a retard for you.
fatalsushi83 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
team, useless