project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
22 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2017-06-23, 04:05   #31
TBob
Default Re: [HUD] Font Facelift

So at this point I've updated almost every font, the only real exceptions are the console font, the bottom right vehicle ammo count, and infantry magazine count numbers. I'm not entirely sure where the firing mode indicator is stored either. There are also a few fonts that I don't where they're used (if at all) that I didn't touch.

There may be some offsets and spacing that could use some tweaking here and there but this is in a mostly finalized state.
You can download it here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...0c4MVVWYi1kSDA

Difference in texture size totals is about 1.5Mb, this could be optimized further by doing some character culling, the duplicate fixes I've mentioned, or some other manual tweaks here and there.
TBob is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-23, 04:29   #32
[R-DEV]​Arab
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBob View Post
So at this point I've updated almost every font, the only real exceptions are the console font, the bottom right vehicle ammo count, and infantry magazine count numbers. I'm not entirely sure where the firing mode indicator is stored either. There are also a few fonts that I don't where they're used (if at all) that I didn't touch.

The firemode indicators and hud stuff are located in the menu/hud/texture/ingame/ folder somewhere. They also need to be compiled into one of the menuatlas.dds file (menuatlas1.dds iirc) if you modify them, else they won't work. The PRBuild.exe tool in our repository can generate those easily but that requires access to our repo etc. There are also some tutorials and tools to do these manually as well.

You could also just simply paste the font pictures over to the atlas and with some trial and error, manage to work it perfectly without it clipping

Not sure about the console font though.

Last edited by [R-DEV]Arab; 2017-06-23 at 04:36..
Old 2017-06-23, 05:16   #33
TBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Arab View Post
The firemode indicators and hud stuff are located in the menu/hud/texture/ingame/ folder somewhere. They also need to be compiled into one of the menuatlas.dds file (menuatlas1.dds iirc) if you modify them, else they won't work. The PRBuild.exe tool in our repository can generate those easily but that requires access to our repo etc. There are also some tutorials and tools to do these manually as well.

You could also just simply paste the font pictures over to the atlas and with some trial and error, manage to work it perfectly without it clipping

Not sure about the console font though.

I did find the fire modes on atlas0 and menu/hud/texture/ingame/weapons/icons/hud/firerate but I'll probably leave those alone for now.

The console font I believe actually uses the old 1942 format which I haven't touched. I would have to rework my generation method if I could even do it at all. Personally I don't think it would be worth it.
Old 2017-06-23, 07:32   #34
[R-DEV]​Arab
Supporting Member

ye consoles are not important

Arab is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-24, 02:30   #35
B4rr3l

Quote:
I did find the fire modes on atlas0 and menu/hud/texture/ingame/weapons/icons/hud/firerate but I'll probably leave those alone for now.

The console font I believe actually uses the old 1942 format which I haven't touched. I would have to rework my generation method if I could even do it at all. Personally I don't think it would be worth it.
Don't you guys have the script for the bmfont? with that everything would be easier, you can mess with the font creator from 1942 and use its spacing and glyphs with the BMfont offset and DDS, but both generated fonts gotta be really close in size for that to work, I don't remember right now but gotta change more stuff in bmfont also. Anyway without the script It's fucked up method and you will probably always have some minor or large issue. Just use photoshop, with accurate grid lines and that becomes an easy task.
B4rr3l is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-03, 05:32   #36
TBob

Updated the magazine and vehicle ammo numbers
Edited the OP with the most recent download and more recent screenshots.

Currently I've only done the English localization, I'd been waiting on confirmation that these are good for the finalized settings to use before generating other localisations. Languages using the standard extended Latin character set should be relatively quick to make since the settings can carry over. Some languages like Russian require a different font so may take longer. Japanese, Chinese, and Korean have a potentially prohibitively large number of glyphs.

Also I was wondering if there would be interest in including cyrillic charchaters (or potentially other things) in the vehicle hud font. I thought it might be neat to have the hud text read "3???8 HE" instead of the Romanized "3UOF8 HE".

To do any character culling I would need to know which characters are actually unwanted.

In the meantime I messed around with a redo of the main bluefor helicopter hud elements, featuring higher resolution but an overall reduction in texture usage. I also enhanced the responsiveness of variometer - previously maximum descent or ascent would only move it by a single tick mark. The right side bar I was testing using a high contrast design. The percent sign texture is replaced with a text node.

Old 2017-07-03, 05:35   #37
B4rr3l

Quote:
Updated the magazine and vehicle ammo numbers
Edited the OP with the most recent download and more recent screenshots.

Currently I've only done the English localization, I'd been waiting on confirmation that these are good for the finalized settings to use before generating other localisations. Languages using the standard extended Latin character set should be relatively quick to make since the settings can carry over. Some languages like Russian require a different font so may take longer. Japanese, Chinese, and Korean have a potentially prohibitively large number of glyphs.

Also I was wondering if there would be interest in including cyrillic charchaters (or potentially other things) in the vehicle hud font. I thought it might be neat to have the hud text read "3???8 HE" instead of the Romanized "3UOF8 HE".

To do any character culling I would need to know which characters are actually unwanted.

In the meantime I messed around with a redo of the main bluefor helicopter hud elements, featuring higher resolution but an overall reduction in texture usage. I also enhanced the responsiveness of variometer - previously maximum descent or ascent would only move it by a single tick mark. The right side bar I was testing using a high contrast design. The percent sign texture is replaced with a text node.

Very good!
B4rr3l is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-03, 08:55   #38
cribbaaa

Nice work! hopefully this will get implemented in the next version.
cribbaaa is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-03, 09:37   #39
[R-DEV]​Mr.VdHeide

Good job, keep it up!!

D.J.

Mr.VdHeide is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-05, 08:34   #40
projectmundus

Very well done!