project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > PR Highlights > PR Dev Journal Archives > 2008
07 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-05, 23:29   #31
Tirak

Default Re: [Gameplay] Deviation modifications

Snipers are still getting shafted, after the full wait time they should get 0 deviation, a human body in BF2 may be .4 meters wide, but the head sure as heck ain't.
Old 2008-10-05, 23:38   #32
Raniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitiation View Post
well, i doesnt make any sense.... at top accuracy you can miss by a meter?
i really dont that thats the thought behind it....
That's just for one bullet. You will fire a lot, and will not be the only one shooting at your target.

Look at firefights in liveleak or youtube. When they fire, they fire a LOT.
Old 2008-10-06, 00:04   #33
Mariospeedwagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Jaymz View Post
With the values above, if he's 150m away and you're crouched and have settles for 5 seconds that's a definite hit.
After that 5 seconds he's out of view, so I have to get up, follow him and wait ANOTHER 5 seconds. I'm saying once I'm scoped in he should be dead or incapacitated in 5 seconds.

Adding the scoping in time was a great idea, and one I've always had even before 0.8 was released, however I thought it was impossible due to engine constraints. Adding even MORE deviation in addition to scoping in time was a step backwards IMO. It would have been nice to see how a minimal deviation system with the added scope time would play out in game.

Also, is it possible to make it so that once a person takes a hit, their deviation dramatically increases? Say to simulate being hit in the arms or legs? That way I'm not getting the first hit on an enemy and he just spins around and somehow deals a deathblow even though I'm patiently firing away two shot bursts at him.
Old 2008-10-06, 01:47   #34
BattleArena4

Sorry for getting a bit off topic, but what is the target audience of PR at this point? Are you looking to have a few hundred "hardcore" players or are you trying to develop something that could be viewed as commercially viable?

Beyond that, I can give your info to a friend of mine that trains Navy Seals and tactical snipers to see what he thinks of it if you like.
Old 2008-10-06, 02:48   #35
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Some brilliant shit-taking going on in here...

Deleted posts from donDoom, Noobofthenight, Emnyron and foxxravin. All of you assumed the deviation was being increased and obviously didn't read a word of the first post.

Let me put it like this,

Maximum accuracy of a standard rifle @ 250m in 0.8

0.74m away from where you aim.

Maximum accuracy of a standard rifle @ 250m with the changes posted

0.43m away from where you aim.

What's that? Almost twice as accurate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirak View Post
Snipers are still getting shafted, after the full wait time they should get 0 deviation, a human body in BF2 may be .4 meters wide, but the head sure as heck ain't.
With the changes mentioned, a sniper round will deviate 17cm @ 1000m. It's basically nothing. Couple that with the new crouch deviation for snipers i'd say you're definitely not getting "shafted".

"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Last edited by Jaymz; 2008-10-06 at 03:09..
Old 2008-10-06, 02:53   #36
Caboosehatesbabies

I'll see how this works, but it sounds good, especially the marksman rifles. I used the M14 yesterday and it was really off @.@.

I like the current deviation for everything but the marksman rifle, but this sounds like it might knock it down enough so it's not better twitch wins, but more accurate then it is now.
Old 2008-10-06, 03:08   #37
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaah_Wah View Post
Thats a bit flawed my friend.... If the bullet deviates 0.4 meters from where you aimed, we are talking about radius. If i aim at a guy (center mass) and he is 0.4 meters wide i might still miss, because his radius will be 0.2 meters, while my bullet might hit 0.4 meters away from the center.
Some misconceptions between radius and diameter (don't worry, mistakes made on my part too ). I'm pretty certain it's actually more than just 0.4m wide for a BF2 soldier. Since with the system I posted about here, it's 10/10 hit rating when they're 250m away. That's tested in-game.

"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Old 2008-10-06, 03:13   #38
Ablack77
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Jaymz View Post
What you see below is the result of myself and others assessing how the changes made for 0.8 impacted gameplay, as well as what changes needed to be made in order to keep all the benefits of the 0.8 deviation while addressing the problems.
Any chance we could get an insight of what the dev's think are the benefits and the problems caused by the deviation system?

And the proposed above changes are they in effect designed to 'tone down' or 'tone up' the deviation?

I understand your trying to achieve balance between realism and game play but what is meant by that?

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Old 2008-10-06, 03:18   #39
Durandal

I am most worried about close-range deviation (i.e. turning a corner, blasting a full clip at an enemy combatant 5m away and not hitting him once), and also very worried about sniper rifle deviation. A properly zeroed rifle in RL will have virtually no deviation whatsoever at 200-300m.
Old 2008-10-06, 03:19   #40
S.O.P

It's hard to correlate the theory and the practice just by looking at the numbers.

I read the long-winded theory behind deviation for 0.8 and we all know how well that turned out.

Any chance of dumbing it down or adding pretty pictures or video?
Closed Thread

Tags
deviation, gameplay, modifications