project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
28 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2008-10-23, 19:27   #41
M.Warren

Default Re: Project Reality v0.8 Improvement Compilation

Greetings,

I've decided to check up on this thread randomly out of curiosity. I've been off playing some old-school FPS shooters of mine with teamwork and tactics otherwise. I figured you'd want to know as people appear to be asking.

But yes, for the time being I've put Project Reality down. This is not because of how the gameplay is evolving to a new perspective, which is not the case. But more along the lines on how Project Reality is not being properly maintained and it's general quality.

It's also becoming clearer that to some degree that a number of developers have thier own opinions on certain aspects of gameplay over others. Essentially, it's not always along the lines of "reality" so to say, but more of the fact that it's about favoritism over other aspects of gameplay. To put it bluntly, the one that is appreciated most gets the attention, proceeding to leave the "under dog" to waste away.

From my own opinion, I've played with every single kit and/or vehicle enough to appreciate it's usefulness in it's own right. Regardless if it's fun or not, it's more about what the team needs at the right moment. This even includes sitting around in a Mobile Anti-Aicraft vehicle for 2 hours with targets appearing every 20 minutes. To spending the 15 minutes to properly deploy a minefield off of inadequate resupply vehicles.

Sadly, It appears I had went the extent to create this list under my own intrest over a span of about 48 hours for naught. Seeing that even after all that, it seems to be dumped back into my lap to be taken care of. To say the least, I'm not particularly amused. I was under the impression that if this was brought to the attention of proper officials that these details would atleast be directed to the associated person(s). I've even came across about 5 new items that should be added to this list, but it looks like that it would be in vain.

So for now, I hope you enjoy Project Reality as it is. Because in all honesty I feel that it's meerly a shred of it's true potential. Maybe we'll see some more serious approaches on Project Reality by the v0.85 release. I send my sympathy to our devoted PR followers as it seems you'll be waiting for fixes and improvements in 3 to 4 month intervals.

Oh, and another thing. I remember reading a comment someone said about PR. It was along the lines of:

Quote:
Project Reality v0.8 is a hit for all the new comers. It's also changing, and thats why a number of veteran players may no longer feel the same as they used to about PR.
The fact of the matter is; the veterans remember how it used to be sometime ago. Including how enjoyable the gameplay and teamwork was. As for the new comers... It's not suprising why they love everything about Project Reality as it is now; they simply don't know what they're missing.

Maybe we'll see a more heroic introduction of PR in the future. I'll be waiting.
Last edited by M.Warren; 2008-10-23 at 20:43..
Old 2008-10-23, 19:32   #42
DeltaFart

I wouldnt be that mean warren. I mean hes telling you how to get in contact with the proper authorites. I think its more of a if he passes it on and is asked questions about it, he won't know how to answer, where as if you do the contacting, you can explain it further if necessary and have it done faster.
DeltaFart is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 19:46   #43
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

The issue or non issue is its a team of people in there free time, as in unpaid. So we dont get to have board and office meetings. So ideas come and go. And without a paid tester team, tests get done when the testers have time. So waiting 3-4 months for fixes is quite good. Unless you all enjoy 300mb untested fixes every month.

So sorry to see you go for now but its an ever evolving mod, unlike a game, things come and go. And until the final version comes out it will continue to evolve and just like evolution somethings work some dont.

And always you can help us make the mod we all want. But dont be too mad if we blow some ideas off. You guys only see a 1/2 of the forums (The rest devoted to different PR team areas). The number of debates going on at any one time is allot.

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
CodeRedFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 21:45   #44
Drav
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Well done to Fuzzhead for taking the time to go through that and post individual answers. Im afraid I find much of what Warren mentions totally trivial, yet feel he has missed the few really critical things that need attention for 0.85

Sorry....
Drav is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 22:05   #45
Alex6714

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Warren View Post

The fact of the matter is; the veterans remember how it used to be sometime ago. Including how enjoyable the gameplay and teamwork was. As for the new comers... It's not suprising why they love everything about Project Reality as it is now; they simply don't know what they're missing.

Maybe we'll see a more heroic introduction of PR in the future. I'll be waiting.
I agree with this, I am not exactly a veteran, starting at the very beginning of 0.6 but the gameplay did feel alot better and more fun.

Teamwork happened because people wanted then, not because it was forced upon you and if not then your stuffed. It was more fun to play with people then, and I remember I could just hop on and have a great game.

Lots of clan members stopped playing at 0.7, some new ones joined and filled up the "PR" side of things, and now more have stopped playing at 0.8.

I sort of see where everyone wants PR to go, but I know a lot of people not having anything near as much fun and these aren´t "lone wolf head shot prone dive run and gun is all we want people" either, as everyone who doesn´t agree is portrayed...

But as things move on time shall tell.
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 00:36   #46
gclark03

Seeing that the DEVs weren't even striving for popularity when they developed PR up to 0.8, it's remarkable that there are enough players to quit at all without sinking the mod.

That's a testament to the quality of PR that cannot be counteracted with blind nostalgia.

0.8 is the BEST version of PR ever, but it is different from 0.6, and you're certainly right that many people have quit because of the changes with every release. However, consider yourself lucky to be a part of a mod that almost accidentally has a net player gain high enough to fill the FH2, PoE, and BGF communities combined - three times over.
gclark03 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 01:12   #47
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

Everyone has their opinion on how the game should be. And M.Warren wrote out a long and thought out response. He may not agree with the way the MOD is now but he was also respectful and took his time to let us know his opinion. Its more that I can say for a large amount of the community. (not pointing fingers)

Sorry to see you go M.Warren, hope PR will be something more to you liking in the future.

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
CodeRedFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 01:14   #48
DeltaFart

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]CodeRedFox View Post
Everyone has their opinion on how the game should be. And M.Warren wrote out a long and thought out response. He may not agree with the way the MOD is now but he was also respectful and took his time to let us know his opinion. Its more that I can say for a large amount of the community. (not pointing fingers)

Sorry to see you go M.Warren, hope PR will be something more to you liking in the future.
I agree about this. Usually you see alot of this sucks or this needs to be changed. This man has set the bar for suggestions in the amount of time he took to prepare his statements
Old 2008-11-19, 00:34   #49
M.Warren

Updated as of 11/18/08 to Project Reality v0.8 Improvement Compilation v1.5 revision.

Additions and/or alterations are highlighted in BOLD lettering in the main page. These are seen easily by scrolling through.

Added 3 new improvements:

(III. Vehicles - Armored)
1 Major Feedback. (Chinese PGZ-95 AAV)

(VII. Soldier - Tools)
1 Minor Suggestion. (Binoculars)

(VIII. Team Communication)
1 Minor Suggestion. ("Cover Me" Voice Command)
Last edited by M.Warren; 2008-12-04 at 22:07..
Old 2008-11-19, 00:41   #50
DeltaFart

might want to be more specific

Tags
compilation, improvement, project, reality, v08