project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:Falklands General Discussion
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:Falklands General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality Falklands modification.

Old 2012-10-08, 00:36   #41
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Falklands feedback general

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt.LHeureux View Post
Well Rhino, the Argies bombs need to be boosted in radius and damage, because we dropped a bomb 10m away from the scimi and it didn't kill it, and sometimes we need brits infantry escape bombing runs from 40-50m away alive.
tbh that sounds right too me. Its only a 500lb bomb, and 10m is quite a long way, especially when trying to kill something that is armoured, basically only bits of shrpnal spurting out from the bomb which armour can easily stop from that distance.

Pilots can bomb more accurate than that I'm sure

Quote:
What's your input on infantry ammo? I think mags should be buffed to 9 instead of 6, because ammo right now is scarce when you need to shoot at long range without optics and binocs (which I love).
Think its fine myself, just need a good logistics chain which was vital in the war too.

Quote:
Finally, where are the Argies LVTP-7s?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-287LEgcrwk...25281%2529.jpg
http://dmn.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/w...klands-War.jpg

Also I read that somewhere :
Quote:
Argentina?s LVTP-7s went home after the initial invasion (with two losses to LAW and recoilless rifle), leaving only AML-90s as the defending armoured force, and they spent the entire war in Port Stanley.
Could this be the reason?
Yes you answered your own question there

The LVTP-7s are part of the Skirmish 32 layer for this reason.

They also only have a 50cal HMG as there only armament, nothing to take out the Scimi with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40mmrain View Post
Perhaps the T62 could stand in for the AML-90? SLower and, with a long ass reload time, but better armored with a bigger gun.
humm, possibly, but quite a lot more powerful hehe. Could only add it with a client side update so not going to happen for some time if it dose go in, which I'm not sure about yet. I think in time players will learn methods of killing it, and they need to do so

Old 2012-10-08, 01:50   #42
Wispit

Well, my thoughts so far are it's quite interesting.
Personally jets don't require too much tweaking (though i haven't spent much time on the ground) with the numbers of them it's almost a gaurantee that theres an enemy jet over the island once you get there, which means your isntantly on your toes, it also means teamwork and coordination is paramount.

But it also seems it's somewhat of a rock paper scissors arrangement.

As the harrier out turns the mirage/daggers BUT the the mirage and daggers can outrun the harriers EASILY (so long as he doesn't kill you with cannons or missiles while you run away) As for running past the harriers, thats not instantaneous you get enough time to put enough of a burst of cannons to kill them first.

The skyraider is slow but can turn on par with a harrier (i suspect it can outturn them)

And the skyhawk is on par with the harrier, but as its a bomber, you would want to have a fighter nearby to assist (teamwork....)

The nighttime side of things however, personally i don't see why there wouldn't be a big red glow coming out the arse of a jet if i'm on its tail, as it was they are practically invisible the whole time your chasing them, if it werent for the AA lock on square you wouldn't even know they are there.

And i have a query, i remember my cousin has told me that the hercs in the vietnam were "invisible" to AA due to the turboprops not emitting huge amounts of heat like a jet, is this true and if so would that be the case with the skyraider now? As while for the most part it would still get mashed by cannons it'd give it a teeny weeny bit more of an advantage especially at night as AA wouldn't see it.
Old 2012-10-08, 02:01   #43
40mmrain
Supporting Member

jet engines produce almost no visible light if the afterburners arent active. Their engines are fundamentally the same as a passegner's. Take a look at them at night.

I also agree with getting rid of the ability to lock onto the skyraider with missiles. Even though that will make the blowpipe impossible to use properly, the harriers guns are a good enough counter. That would actually make a sufficient balance against the scimitar, I think, the skyraider is good against the scimi, but gets shot down too much
Old 2012-10-08, 02:25   #44
CanuckCommander

Quote:
jet engines produce almost no visible light if the afterburners arent active. Their engines are fundamentally the same as a passegner's. Take a look at them at night.

I also agree with getting rid of the ability to lock onto the skyraider with missiles. Even though that will make the blowpipe impossible to use properly, the harriers guns are a good enough counter. That would actually make a sufficient balance against the scimitar, I think, the skyraider is good against the scimi, but gets shot down too much
About the jet engines on military planes being the same as passengers, what you said is not true. Look up high vs low bypass jet engines. Passenger jet engines are called TurboFANs with a hi-bypass ratio, meaning that most of the thrust does not come from the core of the engine, but rather from the large fan that you see in the front. Basically it is like a TurboPROP, where the thrust generating mechanism is powered by the jet turbine rather than the jet turbine being the main source of thrust.

On the other hand, fighter jets, those with afterburners (Not Harrier) use TurboJET engines with low-bypass ratios get most of their thrust from the core of the combustion chamber. Therefore, in this case, their engines can be visible at night even without the use of afterburners.

That's about as much as I know. Someone with more knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 2012-10-08, 03:15   #45
Pvt.LHeureux
-

Yeah I would also like the Skyraider to not be locked on, as it was. It's a good way to balance it, it's already so vulnerable.
Old 2012-10-08, 03:43   #46
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wispit View Post
But it also seems it's somewhat of a rock paper scissors arrangement.
Wasn't built around that, was built around the r/l capabilities of the aircraft and how they faired in r/l against each other

Quote:
The skyraider is slow but can turn on par with a harrier (i suspect it can outturn them)

And the skyhawk is on par with the harrier, but as its a bomber, you would want to have a fighter nearby to assist (teamwork....)
Skyraider can easily out turn a Harrier, but the Harrier is much faster. Its not very good to try and use it to dogfight (if you do, just spam your rockets at the Harriers and you may get lucky), your better off just trying to avoid them by flying low and out of hot zones

Quote:
And i have a query, i remember my cousin has told me that the hercs in the vietnam were "invisible" to AA due to the turboprops not emitting huge amounts of heat like a jet, is this true and if so would that be the case with the skyraider now? As while for the most part it would still get mashed by cannons it'd give it a teeny weeny bit more of an advantage especially at night as AA wouldn't see it.
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I would also like the Skyraider to not be locked on, as it was. It's a good way to balance it, it's already so vulnerable.
Ye considering it myself for the next version. As a Harrier you don't ever want to use your missiles on it, and even if you do its very unlikely to hit it (so far never had an AA missile hit one or me when I'm in it) so its only used to find it against the terrain, although the Sea Harrier's Radar would pick the thing up in r/l so ye, not sure about removing it quite yet but am considering it. One thing for sure is it needs to cost less tickets than a normal jet.

Old 2012-10-08, 07:13   #47
Pvt.LHeureux
-

When I first heard about the map and stuff, I was sure it was a 1:1 recreation of the map . But now looking at the Falklands on google maps, it's more like 1:10
Old 2012-10-08, 07:34   #48
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
When I first heard about the map and stuff, I was sure it was a 1:1 recreation of the map . But now looking at the Falklands on google maps, it's more like 1:10
Its in fact 1:30

Old 2012-10-08, 09:12   #49
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudd View Post
Might be best to dump the scimi completely for now, it was only really involved at the final actions at port Stanley anyway?
If so, maybe it could spawn after the brits have capped(whatever flags).

Old 2012-10-08, 09:23   #50
SamEEE

I think once the Scimitar is replaced by the Scorpion it will be a bit more balanced.

Tags
falklands, feedback, general