project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2012-05-08, 08:14   #41
bishop_smith2
Default Re: SkyJumpys MortarCalc - Mortar Calculator

Here are some more tips about the process of creating a heightmap that will work correctly with the mortar calculator.

The heightmap shouldn't look correct in GIMP. It should be upside down. And you can't save it from GIMP and expect it to work correctly with the mortar calculator. GIMP doesn't seem to save as 16-bit grayscale. It seems to save as 8-bit grayscale instead. You need to use ImageMagick, ImageJ, L3DT or Adobe Photoshop or some other program that can output 16-bit grayscale images. I have only verified that ImageMagick and ImageJ work correctly start-to-finish.

--
bishop_smith2
bishop_smith2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 04:20   #42
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I had independently figured out the prob,em I was having, I was using an old version of Photoshop, I eventually passed the heightmap files on to a friend who uses Photoshop CS5 , and he was able to correct the heightmaps in no time flat.

I used IfranView to make the top down ovreview maps, was the easiest solution i could think of.

The last bit of trouble I am having is the 1024x1024 or 1025x1025 because there seems to be a 0 column and a 0 row in the file format. As of right now I'm not sure if my heightmaps are off by 1/1024th of a pixel... which isn't usually a problem EXCEpt for very tall areas, like the cliffs of Normandy.

In the end, I got lazy and will just let that bug exist for now.

I was informed while researching the steps to update this program that another PR player has developed a separate Mortar Calculation Program that is far more refined, he added all of the suggested improvements that SkyJumpy mentioned in this thread, (except the voice commands). That is being tested right now and I should get my hands on it before the 18th of May 2012.

Thank you for the help bishop_smith2, if it wasn't for your explanation I would have never gotten my head around how to update this program. As soon as I can reckon a way to fix the 1025x1025 to 1024x1024 resize distortion, I'll update this thread again.

LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 15:52   #43
xact

LITOralis.nMd, do you have any news about the other mortar calculator?
xact is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 21:43   #44
sirfstar

This one is going to be released soon.
sirfstar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 05:17   #45
kangaroo

If I wanted Precise mortar ranges I just marked the target too note of its range, then moved the target mark back abit and forward abit to see if it changed. Depending on which one changes means I ussally add 20m ontop of the original range.
kangaroo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 11:36   #46
Predator.v2

Kangaroo, it is easier to place a exact mortar marker and guess the distance of your mortar marker to your attack marker.

This will still not give you information about height differences, which can be rather important after ~800m distance or 100m height diff.
Predator.v2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 15:49   #47
K4on
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

its pretty common what kangaroo said.

K4on is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 16:08   #48
sirfstar

I'll drop 2-3 rounds on ur head while u're moving ur marker back and forward