project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2011-08-13, 22:56   #41
PFunk
Default Re: Suppressive Fire as of .95, does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemman View Post
Do you mean 20%? But yes, I agree on the whole. Leading a 10-man squad would be pretty awesome.
Yes, I failed math. And yes leading 10 men squads is pretty good, so good I'm gonna go play some 128 right now.
PFunk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 22:43   #42
Hitmanrules

For people who fully understand the deviation in the game suppression is abit worthless. When someone is firing way to quickly to accurately put a shot on you, it only gives you the confidence that you can kill them at range.

I personally don't suppress targets when I have deviation because it's harder to kill them at range. Which is always less random and dangerous than killing them in CQB.

SillySavage91's Channel - YouTube

This video by Silly Savage is possibly the best example of the deviation system done right. Why waste a clip on a guy just to keep his head down when you can pop him before he has a clue where you are?
Hitmanrules is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 12:17   #43
Mikemonster

The best suppression is a bullet to the head, lol.
Mikemonster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 16:18   #44
ChallengerCC
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacs View Post
The concept of 'suppression' in PR is irrelevant as there is no fear of death, people disregard themselves by running around corners spraying hoping to get a kill, disbarring realism totally as they know they will be able to do the same thing within minutes. This is in addition to the absolute spontaneity and randomness which plagues infantry engagements.

This translates to snipers often popping up to take a shot even though they could have the whole team firing at them, it makes little difference. I find myself popping up to shoot even if a tank is facing me, and I see others do the same in a role-reversal.

As for the physical suppression effect itself, its as good as its going to get. Until the developers find a way to make players be more content and actually reserve themselves instead of popping out into a hail of bullets we are going to continue to see people do stupid things in order to get kills.
Because of that FOB?s need to be maxed to 1-2 on each side.
And Spawntime should be increased. Also this increase usage of transport capabilitys and increas the "value" of a life.
So you can still play like in Counterstrike but i think after 3 time waiting and traveling a "long" time you think about it to play more save.
This decrease of corse the action factor. But i think it call PR not Project Action.
What i also notice since last 2 patches (moving speed) is that spreading with the weapon is now 90% of all fights.
What i think is the totaly wrong way PR did in the last patches.
Single fire is not so effective any more. I had made an video about hitboxes since the new version. Where you can see
that i hit the target opticle 5 times and he got 0 damage. This make it impossible when someon runs in front of you from one side to another, to hit him effectivly with semi automatic (single shot).
To prevent this the hitboxes need to be fixed to the moving speed of units(soldiers).

A nother thing is the centration of waepons that cause this 90% of spreading.
Best example are the IDF and German Waepons. The center there aim far to quickly. So you can run and stand and press the hole magazine in one liddl area. So the accurace while automatice fire and the centration of the gun from run to standing and shoot is far to fast.
Use an AK and you will see the big ultra super difference. And why should one gun center more then a nother one thats bulshit. And when the AK 74 has a smaler round so this gun should be more accurate even of its waight.
While firing, the spreading should be different, but not when you shoot first rounds 1-2.

So the time of centration need to be overhaled from all weapons to one and the same. Not different.

Last edited by ChallengerCC; 2011-11-03 at 16:34..
Old 2011-11-05, 08:10   #45
PFunk

Yes, single shot does feel pretty useless in short range, while its my understanding that just about any soldier will tell you that 90% of the time they're using single shot, even in CQB.
PFunk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 23:48   #46
Cavazos

Perhaps suppressive fire is overstated: Ben and Bawb's Blog: SUPPRESSIVE FIRE...DOESN'T
Cavazos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 17:02   #47
CanuckCommander

^That's a nice post.

I think the misconception about suppression comes from in-game as well as real life. People see combat videos from Afganistan and think that's how real soldiers fight and that's what they, the gamers, should do in PR as well. The main problem with that is that they never considered whether they soldiers were doing it "right" in the first place. Therefore, bad tactic is unknowingly passed by the real soldiers to gamers as well.

In my opinion, ACCURATE and POWERFUL fire is the deciding factor. What contributes to accuracy? I would say the weapons system, optics and marksmanship. What makes a weapon powerful? A weapon that does as much damage as possible with the fewest shots is a powerful weapon. The US Army is field testing the XM25 grenade launcher, an accurate air-burst and powerful weapon. If I had my way, I would issue that to every rifleman.

My philosophy is that whether in-game or in RL, rifles should play a PDW (personal defence) role, rather than a ranged-shooting role. Each squad should take the POWERFUL/1 shot weapons, including rockets, snipers, marksman, and grenade launchers. If the squad is thought of as an individual soldier, then the ACCURATE/POWERFUL long-range weapons should be the primary weapons, while the smaller caliber assault rifles should be secondary defence weapons for engagements within 50-100m. Yes I'm saying the armies of the world are doing it wrong currently. Most of the kills in Afganistan and Iraq were not attained by assault rifles anyway, instead they were by airstrikes and missiles (accurate and powerful weapons).

In game I would set my my squad as follows:

1. SL KIT (Spotter)
2. Rifleman Optic (Spotting and Ammo purposes)
3. Grenadier (1 shot 1 kill firepower philosophy)
---^That would constitute the assault team
4. LMG gunner/LAT/HAT (Depending on the map and situation)
5. Sniper/Marksman (Depending on availability)
6. Medic
---^This second half would be the support team.

If an enemy is beyond 50m, as SL I would only the sniper to engage. The riflemen are only to provide enough fire so that our sniper can shoot accurately. Other than that, riflemen are to use their optics to spot for the sniper and grenadier. This strategy guarantees the squad's high survival rate as well as high kill rate.
CanuckCommander is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 10:30   #48
Cavazos

Interesting philosphy. Another article I was reading related to this said how the most effective weapons were the .50 cal, HE grenades from grenade launchers, and sniper rifles.
Cavazos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 08:19   #49
Arnoldio
Banned

Works to some extent.

Hopefully in 1.0, with lesser deviation, popping up to take shots wont be so easy anymore...
Arnoldio is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 22:53   #50
ShockUnitBlack

Works situationally, mostly in a defensive role.
ShockUnitBlack is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, suppressive, work