project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Objects
22 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2012-08-31, 13:14   #41
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Static] New House [WIP]

looking very nice

For the underside of the stairs, I would just have a single face for that, let me find an example.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 13:19   #42
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Have you considered making versions that are closed off but allow passage to upper floors? The point being to give mappers the option to have non-performance intensive sections yet a tall, mostly enterable building?

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 13:19   #43
Antol

goooood update
and nice to see Rhino with feedback

and Rudd, ofcourse
Antol is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 13:32   #44
Elirah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudd View Post
Have you considered making versions that are closed off but allow passage to upper floors? The point being to give mappers the option to have non-performance intensive sections yet a tall, mostly enterable building?
What do you mean? =)
Currently its like the T-Buildings.
Do you mean I should make them like one, so the mapper cant choose the hight of the building himself?
Elirah is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 13:36   #45
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I love the T buildings, they are awesome.

But look at them from a gameplay perspective

a 6 man (or X man) squad will usually spread out amongst say...the top 2 floors (that changes depending on situation, but I'd say that is the most common). If the building is 8 stories tall, then that's 6 floors that are empty. However because they are enterable, they are high performance impact statics; however they aren't contributing to gameplay as much as the top 2 floors.

My solution to that would be to close off 4 of those floors to become non enterable apart from the stairway; this would decrease the performance impact of the entire building considerably; both in what needs to be rendered, and what colmeshes the server has to load. This would surely be more efficient, and allows mappers to have tall buildings without as much fear of causing trouble for client FPS Being closed off, but with a working stairway means the tall enterable bits are still reachable.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 13:54   #46
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Basic example of what I would would suggest you do for the underside of your stairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudd View Post
Ye, a fully closed off or semi-closed off versions of the floors is always a good idea, as well as alternative versions with different colour rooms etc. I will also talk about interior objects at some point but that can wait for a bit, right now need to focus on getting the main building done

But ye, having every single floor, with every single room you can enter is very performance intensive , requires a lot of lightmap space and polys, and closing off a few rooms and even an entire floor is a good idea

A over extreme example of this, although without stackable floors is the vBF2 TV station building, which has most of its floors and rooms closed off, but the odd one open you can go into:

Also it has a better example on the stairs of what I meant

Old 2012-08-31, 14:08   #47
Elirah

Ahh, now I understood. Thats obviously no big deal do make them semi-enterable.
But one thing: Where this current model is the base, should I start texture them, and than make the non/semi-enterable parts or what would you recommend.
Elirah is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 14:17   #48
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elirah View Post
But one thing: Where this current model is the base, should I start texture them, and than make the non/semi-enterable parts or what would you recommend.
Ye, I would first texture, then make the non/semi enterable floors, and also alternative versions with different colour rooms etc because since one floor is done with its UVs, then to re-colour it, its just a matter of moving around some of the colour texture UVs, perhaps adding a few different crack textures in here and there and to close them up, just a matter of deleting faces, blocking off the door ways then UVing the doors

Old 2012-08-31, 22:18   #49
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Watching this process as Elihar learns to model from zero background in 3d modelling up to what is now a quite impressive building is absolutely fascinating to watch and follow Elihar on his journey.

Now to make Rhino and Rudd mad,
consider not only creating semi/non enterable alternative versions, but also to create a floor that is pre-interior carpentry finishing.

That is, (for example) the construction contractors:
HAVE installed the concrete pillars and the flooring,
HAVE NOT installed the stairwell, interior walls, 50% of the exterior walls , and none of the balcony walls.

This way, this building can be an additional construction site building, adding a pair of construction site buildings to any new maps.

The future:

Top level: Roof
Top Floor: under construction static (with ladders and plywood walls)
4th floor: under construction static (with ladders and plywood walls and construction stuff)
3rd floor: completed static
2nd floor: semi-enterable static
US 1st floor/ European ground floor: ground floor static
Elihar: Modelling god all future mappers bow before.

LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 08:27   #50
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd View Post
Now to make Rhino and Rudd mad,
consider not only creating semi/non enterable alternative versions, but also to create a floor that is pre-interior carpentry finishing.

That is, (for example) the construction contractors:
HAVE installed the concrete pillars and the flooring,
HAVE NOT installed the stairwell, interior walls, 50% of the exterior walls , and none of the balcony walls.

This way, this building can be an additional construction site building, adding a pair of construction site buildings to any new maps.

The future:

Top level: Roof
Top Floor: under construction static (with ladders and plywood walls)
4th floor: under construction static (with ladders and plywood walls and construction stuff)
3rd floor: completed static
2nd floor: semi-enterable static
US 1st floor/ European ground floor: ground floor static
Elihar: Modelling god all future mappers bow before.
That's not a simple conversion... Your better off making a new static for that.

Tags
house, poxo is ghey, static, wip