project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Modelling & Animations
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Modelling & Animations Everything but Static Objects

Old 2013-04-22, 15:30   #41
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Vehicle] KTO Rosomak

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f38...de-assets.html

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 16:21   #42
Grober

So lets do it again

Geom 1
Lod0
6153 Tris

Last edited by Grober; 2013-04-22 at 16:28..
Old 2013-04-22, 16:26   #43
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Someone needs to make that info post on how to display your models far clearer as no one seems to be able to understand it correctly...

Edged faces, with textures, at different 3D angles is best. Edged faces in clay is for when the model hasn't been textured.

Also you do realize your using the wrong version of Max to work with the BF2 export scripts? Your meant to be using Max9, not 2009, v9. You should seriously look into porting the model to the correct version and fixing up all the errors that go with that before doing any more lods.

Old 2013-04-22, 16:36   #44
Grober

Quote:
Also you do realize your using the wrong version of Max to work with the BF2 export scripts? Your meant to be using Max9, not 2009, v9.
i wont be exporting it

Quote:
You should seriously look into porting the model to the correct version and fixing up all the errors that go with that before doing any more lods.
like what errors

Grober is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 17:48   #45
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Doesnt matter who exports it, it needs to get into 3dsmax 9 somewhere in the process. If you start it in more recent version, it means backporting, in which you loose all your smoothing, and it can lead to errors such as flipped or double polys etc. Someone will have to go very carefully through after the backport the model and make sure it is all right.

EDIT: Liking the model, good to see that you welded at least some of those extruded panels on front, even though it puzzles me why you didnt weld them all

The only other thing I think you could optimize is the most inner cylinder on your wheels, i would collapse every other edge there, its too smooth now.

Rhino please post that picture, cant seem to find it myself :P

Last edited by [R-CON]lucky.BOY; 2013-04-22 at 17:58..
Old 2013-04-22, 17:58   #46
Grober

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky.BOY View Post
Doesnt matter who exports it, it needs to get into 3dsmax 9 somewhere in the process. If you start it in more recent version, it means backporting, in which you loose all your smoothing, and it can lead to errors such as flipped or double polys etc. Someone will have to go very carefully through after the backport the model and make sure it is all right.
Ok thx
will do is soon

btw can any one see some bugs in those scrrens?
Grober is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 19:25   #47
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
The only other thing I think you could optimize is the most inner cylinder on your wheels, i would collapse every other edge there, its too smooth now.

Rhino please post that picture, cant seem to find it myself :P
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...age-heavy.html

Quote:

Old 2013-04-25, 07:50   #48
ddeo
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
If it has been exported and imported well, model will be exactly the same even if it was made in completly different software, like Blender for example. Unfortunately objects will loose their origin/centre points if it was exported to .obj format, but for sure it will not loose smooth groups. Point is, even if it was exported good, model may be imported wrong because of wrong import options someone used. And to avoid flipping faces it is best to use .obj format no matter between what softwares you're converting. I had a lot of issues with it because I'm working in Blender, but after a lot of practice I've learned all import/export settings from both max and Blender. Trust me, it is possible to easly import/export even complicated models without breaking their geometry.

But on the other side I highly agree that if somebody is used to 3ds Max and he is making models for BF2 engine he should use Max 9. That way he will not need to have troubles with exporting/importing it later to Max 9, or when someone else who is using Max 9 will want to look into the model to help with something.

In short: all is possible, but not all is recommended.
ddeo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 08:04   #49
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Thats good to know, could you perhaps make a tutorial for how to corectly export/import the model?

I personally never tried to port between two 3D software, but what i know is that when i uploaded models on p3d.in (using .obj format), they always lost smoothing groups regardless of what export settings i chose, and i had to manually split edges to define hard edges.

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 08:23   #50
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Ye its very possible to port between versions, but what no one takes into account how much extra work it is that more importantly, no one wants to do as the orignal modeller hardly ever dose it since if they where going to put that effort in to get the model ingame they would have modelled in the correct version in the first place (most of the time), leaving it up to someone else to port it, which is very hard to find someone with the right skillset and time, leaving it normally to someone who doesn't know fully what they are doing and screwing it up big time, and all in all 9 times out of 10, the model never gets ingame as a result of it being made in the wrong version to start with.

Tags
kto, rosomak, vehicle, vehiclekto, wip, wippl