project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Faction Archives > Brazilian/FARC Forces
28 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Brazilian/FARC Forces Discussion pertaining to the PR Brazilian & FARC Forces faction

Old 2010-02-15, 14:27   #41
Z-trooper
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: [WEAPON] M60 7.62x51mm GPMG

Nice going Salmonella. Seems like you are doing everything by the book. I was happy when I saw the checkered unwrap and saw that you really considered proximity to the player and where detail was needed (like the brackets with holes on the bipod.

Keep at it mate you are doing great.

"Without geometry, life is pointless"
Old 2010-02-15, 15:18   #42
Salmonella

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.sta View Post
Holy... you work fast
if you have time anytime soon me and the Norwegian Forces could really use some help
like I said, the modeling wasn't hard, I found great amount and quality references, but now the workflow tends to slow down, I not used to texture things, I must learn some techniques, and practice a little to start in this model.

About helping other factions, we still have a lot of work and scarce manpower so I'll keep my focus on our faction for now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]motherdear View Post
looks good what is the plan with the handle ?..)
Oh no, it was made when I was trying to tile things to save texture space, but I forgot to change, thanks for reminding me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Z-trooper View Post
Nice going Salmonella. Seems like you are doing everything by the book. I was happy when I saw the checkered unwrap and saw that you really considered proximity to the player and where detail was needed (like the brackets with holes on the bipod.
Keep at it mate you are doing great.
thanks for feedback, but another questions, now about the holes;

The way bundledmesh and staticmesh(tress mainly) deals with transparency are different right?
Leaves works as 2 sided faces (no back face culling), but in bundledmesh when I turn on the transparency, the back faces are no more and the gloss effect seems to be gone too.
Theres any way of keeping the gloss, transparency and 2 sided faces?
Old 2010-02-15, 15:41   #43
Z-trooper
Retired PR Developer

bundlemeshes use backface culling. What I would do is copy the faces that need transparency and flip the copied faces.

I can't remember the exact shader method of having both specular and transparency maps utilized but here is a topic that you can read through that discusses it.

Alpha Channel In Bump Map? - Official BF Editor Forums

The point is that you need to assign a shader method that allows you to utilize the alpha of the diffuse texture as a transparency map and the alpha of the normal map as the specular (or is it the other way around, hehe).

Take a look through the topic and see if you can figure it out, if not I'll give it a re-read.

Old 2010-02-15, 23:09   #44
Salmonella

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Z-trooper View Post
I can't remember the exact shader method of having both specular and transparency maps utilized but here is a topic that you can read through that discusses it.
forget it, I just figure out what I was doing wrong, for some reason I was saving the normals in dtx1 (no alpha).

now I need some help of any military advisor

in 90% of pics I found, handheld M60 uses free ammo belt, and theres no realistc ammo belt in BF, so I guess is better use ammo boxes, but the few pics using ammoboxes are from airsoft models like this, or only in vehicles.

can I use it as a reference? is it too unreal to be used?
Old 2010-02-15, 23:15   #45
Z-trooper
Retired PR Developer

In any case you need a ammo box. I think we need Eddie's input here. Probably won't be any standard solution so unless you hear anything else I'd say go for something similar to your reference.

Also make, when you make the chain of ammo, just texture the link onto the bullet casing and have a 2 sided plane attached to each bullet that will have the texture of some linkage stuff in between. The rest will be done in animation.

Old 2010-02-15, 23:36   #46
Salmonella

I don't get it, you mean modeling one bullet with the link, apart from the belt?

other question, what should I keep in separate geometries? I guess:

- belt for firing animation
- box and top cover right for reloading animation
- bipod and sight for deploying animation
- empty shell for ejection?
Old 2010-02-15, 23:40   #47
Z-trooper
Retired PR Developer

Carrying handle and trigger. Maybe even the back iron sights too. I don't know how much detail Chuc wants to go into.

Nevermind what I said about the belt links.

Keep at it.

Old 2010-02-16, 14:11   #48
Chuc
Retired PR Developer

I wouldn't worry about separating parts since I can do that when it comes to final export.

Personal Folio - http://www.studioash.net
Old 2010-02-16, 17:50   #49
Salmonella

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Chuc View Post
I wouldn't worry about separating parts since I can do that when it comes to final export.
alright then, I use Maya instead 3ds, is there a problem? The Compatibility between them inst good.
I can export perfectly to the game, the only thing, I'm not experienced with animations and weapon hierarchy, nothing that a short tutorial can't solve...

Update, I did the final touch on the Uvs and baked Ambient Occlusion and Specular.

Shots from the editor whit AO+NORMAL+SPEC, now should I move to the textures.

Old 2010-02-16, 18:01   #50
motherdear
Retired PR Developer

it actually looks really good. but for the love of god, what is happening inside the ammo area. it looks like those planes have not been uvmapped properly and therefore they got very weird AO artifacts, could also be a combination of that and bad smoothing. it is also happening on the trigger

[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto: "Talking squad level tactics in bed is actually a little known aphrodisiac"
[R-CON]Pantera : "maybe you might learn that we are not super intelligent beings chained in UKF's basement being forced to work on this".

Tags
gpmg, m60, weapon