project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
09 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2013-08-28, 23:12   #41
ghostfool84
Supporting Member

Default Re: Ask the [DEV]s a (?) - Part 2

The PR2 DEVS will release some News "soon" as stated in the PR2 Off-Topic Thread.
ghostfool84 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-28, 23:14   #42
Redamare
Supporting Member

I honestly feel instead of dumping resources into making an entire new game such as PR2, Work on Arma3 first and discontinue Arma 2 development but yes please tell us what your thoughts are

So seeing there Is already a whole PR2 Forum section
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f11...2-pc-game.html

Would there be any possibility for a PR2 Dev Blog?
Last edited by Redamare; 2013-08-28 at 23:24..
Old 2013-08-29, 01:01   #43
Spush
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redamare View Post
I honestly feel instead of dumping resources into making an entire new game such as PR2, Work on Arma3 first and discontinue Arma 2 development but yes please tell us what your thoughts are
Different teams. There's the PR:BF2 team working that strictly works on PR:BF2, then there's the PR:Arma 3 team that works on PR:ARMA 3, then there's the PR2 team that strictly works on PR2.

Spush is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-29, 02:28   #44
tankninja1

Why don't TOWs (bgm-71) get any zoom? Does the real one not even have any static zoom like the MILAN? Also doen't France use the MILAN and not the TOW (bgm-71)?
tankninja1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-29, 02:42   #45
dtacs
Supporting Member

Are there any plans to revamp Ochamchira? I know Taxi and CDR are retired but the ship/pirate combat idea looked really cool and fresh, would be a shame if it wasn't developed any further

And for that matter did anyone pick up Eyl?
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-29, 02:55   #46
AFsoccer
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacs View Post
Are there any plans to revamp Ochamchira? I know Taxi and CDR are retired but the ship/pirate combat idea looked really cool and fresh, would be a shame if it wasn't developed any further

And for that matter did anyone pick up Eyl?
Yes. It had too many bugs to stay in the release but if someone on the mapping team finds the time to update/fix, then we would certainly welcome it back. It's just that no one has the time or desire... and another good example of how hard it is to maintain this many maps and still add more... so some get removed.

What is Eyl?

AFsoccer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-29, 04:40   #47
[R-DEV]​camo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Dr Rank View Post
Its been on hold for a year and a half and will continue to be on hold for a while yet. I'm waiting for statics to be completed; I don't yet know how to model so until I get my skills up to scratch (which will be a while as I've just started to learn) or the person working on them gets them finished the map will continue to remain in stasis, and may even suffer the fate of so many maps and never see the light of day. Its best just to accept it may never happen for now, and if it does, well it'll be a bonus.
That is honestly the sadist thing i have heard for weeks, after looking at all of the screenshots i was really excited for the map, it looked really good. Is it possible to put up a critical open tasks thread to put some of the work out there for the community to do? This map seems to have quite a lot of interest so i'm sure someone would put their hand up. Or if you still don't have the right statics can you just put in placeholders until someone can get around to it?

camo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-29, 05:31   #48
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

If you have a certain picture in your mind of how you really want the map to be, you don't want to use placeholders .

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-29, 07:33   #49
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo_jnr_jnr View Post
Is it possible to put up a critical open tasks thread to put some of the work out there for the community to do? This map seems to have quite a lot of interest so i'm sure someone would put their hand up.
This isn't really something that the community can help out with tbh, where as I'm one of the biggest supporters for getting the community involved with development, making statics for BF2 is a really niche skill set that no one in the community really understands, there is about only really one other dev apart from me that understands it also and then there is the big problem with model quality and consistency. Its hard enough getting the project straight in my own head let alone trying to explain it to keep other people up to speed as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AfterDune View Post
If you have a certain picture in your mind of how you really want the map to be, you don't want to use placeholders .
Well the bigger problem is really performance.

I in fact made the Afghan v2 Static Series for Sangin, trying out the "lego system" which the mappers wanted for flexibility, before we really understood draw calls etc which resulted in seriously bad performance when used, especially on the scale Sangin was planning on using them. These statics are the main reason for Fallujahs bad performance and that map is only 1/16th the size of Sangin (although granted Sangin isn't an urban map but it would use these statics far more), with a much shorter view distance... On top of the bad performance, they also didn't look very good either and took mappers for ever to place down with also lots of little problems from them too and very unoptimized LM usage etc.

If these statics where to be used, Sangin would simply be unplayable, unless it had a really short view distance which basically means no air power and even then, the amount of memory needed for the unoptimized lightmaps would be pretty high as well so some players may not even be able to load the map.

The newer statics aim to address all these issues, but mainly performance while also looking much nicer and more realistic, but doing all of this is a serious challenge, the hardest I've ever taken on while working on PR, which is mainly down to its sheer scale.

Last edited by [R-DEV]Rhino; 2013-08-29 at 07:41..
Old 2013-08-29, 08:10   #50
dtacs
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AFsoccer View Post
What is Eyl?
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f31...enced-map.html

Would hate to see that potential for a whole new side of gameplay to go down the drain.

dtacs is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
base balls, devs, hotfix, part, shot, wounded