project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-20, 03:15   #41
Ace42
Banned

Default Re: AK-47 Accuracy... really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human_001 View Post
I can't remember how many times I got sniped by M16 while sniping US main base at Archer from 540 meter away.

Any rifle can reach that far. Even cheap WWII submachine gun. But Light & Fast 5.56mm can't do much damage to human being at 540 meter. Sure it will kill if you are lucky enough to shoot right on forehead. Even .22 pistol will do. But with bullet only being 4grams I highly doubt if its stopping power are left if any after about 200 meter. Even more so with short barrel M4.
I'm still waiting on the PR weapon stats to be tabulated so I can compare the bleed off of damage over range.
Old 2009-05-20, 03:57   #42
waldo_ii

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderGod View Post
w
let me ask this, if PR is so realistic then why do you pull the bolt back on your rifle every time you pull it out? in REAL LIFE that would eject a live round, giving you one less round in your magazine,

IT JUST LOOKS SO BAD ASS TO CYCLE YOUR BOLT WHEN YOU PULL YOUR RIFLE OUT SO YOU FEEL LIKE YOU MEAN BUSINESS
I assume you are referring to the AR-15 animation(s). If you look at the animation, you find that the bolt isn't going back far enough to chamber/extract a round. What the avatar solder is doing is performing a simple chamber check to see if there is a round in there or not. That is how I interpret it.

Quote:
also in REAL LIFE you dont have to slap the forward assist on the M16 after inserting a new magazine
While this is true, the author of the animations has consulted with a number of military advisors who volunteer to the project before publishing his animations. Plus, even if advisors said that soldiers didn't tap the forward assist for every reload, the AR-15 reload animations have to fit a specific time frame to be on par with other weapons of similar caliber (I use the word not necessarily in terms of bullet size), tapping the forward assist is a good, fluent filler for extra time space, and may be there just for cosmetic reasons more than anything else.
Last edited by waldo_ii; 2009-05-20 at 04:08..
Old 2009-05-20, 03:57   #43
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderGod View Post
wow you guys really think this game is a 1:1 scale of real life war and guns huh?
(which they do not in PR, I guess in real life GUNS NEVER JAM BECAUSE THEY DONT IN THE GAME) or
jamming couldn't be added in this game engine
[QUOTE]
when you insert a new magazine after your old one was completely empty, also in REAL LIFE you dont have to slap the forward assist on the M16 after inserting a new magazine
Quote:
Are you an active/ex-serviceman? They do have a team of military advisors, but I'm sure Chuc asked them.
Quote:
also none of the rifles in the game ARE DOUBLE ACTION you know how when your out of ammo and you click the mouse(pulling the trigger) the weapon keeps going click click click...
I think there is only one sound slot for the action of firing while out of ammo, and its that click.

Old 2009-05-20, 04:21   #44
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

Here's a related question: does anyone even use the AK47 in-game? Whenever I play Chechens, Taliban or Insurgents everyone is using either AK74U or just the regular sights/scoped AK74 anyway.
Old 2009-05-20, 04:23   #45
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

As chech I like teh ak47 so I get an RKG, 2 dudes with RKGs and a supporting RPG can do some serious damage to armour.

Not really a fan of the ak47 (or the 74) as INS atm, since the shotgun and AKsu are both better in CQB and have RKGs.

But its a fun gun, and I prefer teh 47 to the 74 for the higher calibre.

Old 2009-05-20, 05:24   #46
dtacs
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]Cpl.Small View Post
The AK 47 is inacurate when fired automatically... it's the same in PR, just single shot, with spacing between shots and you'll be fine
No, not really.

Controlled spray at up to 40 meters is your friend.
Old 2009-05-20, 10:20   #47
deemoowoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheditor View Post
The m-16 uses the 5.56 and this goes futher than the 7.(cant remember the last bit) round the AK-47 uses. But it is not as powerful. This is one reason the M468 is in production, has range and power.
This is opposite, mate.

5.56x45 NATO has muzzle energy about 1,8 kJ and speed about 936-1000 m/s, depending on ammo type (bullet weight). Typical bullet weight is 3.56, with a heavier variant 3,95 g.

The AK's 7.62x39 has muzzle energy of about 1,9-2,05 kJ and muzzle speed of about 641-701 m/s, depending on ammo type (bullet weight) and make. Typical bullet weight is about 7,9 g.

Modern Firearms - Ammunition - Rifle and machinegun ammunition ballistics
5.56x45mm NATO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
7.62x39mm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The slightly higher energy and 2 times heavier mass of the 7.62 bullet, compared to 5.56, and lower speed of 7.62x39 M43 makes it much more stable at longer ranges, because due to lower effect of air resistance, the bullet loses speed (and kinetic energy) much slower. As range increases, energy of 5.56 drops considerably compared to 7.62x39.

AK 47 and even AK 74 is known to have very low accuracy when fired in full auto or even 3-round bursts due to its heavy and imbalanced gas bolt construction (although being a very sturdy and foolproof design). But when fired single shots, it's as accurate as the shooter, because gas bolt movement only starts when the bullet is at the tip of the barrel (so only recoil is the major problem).
Last edited by deemoowoor; 2009-05-20 at 10:32..
Old 2009-05-20, 11:05   #48
AnRK
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKJudgeX View Post
Well, it just turns out that too many people think poorly of the accuracy of the weapon without ever having fired it.
From a couple of pages ago, but you do realise how many experienced military advisers this mod has? The change for the next patch isn't based on someone watching an uninformed hollywood shoot em up and deciding that neither middle eastern combatants, or their weaponry, have the capacity to shoot accurately.
Old 2009-05-20, 11:56   #49
x.trEm*e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr2B Rudd View Post
Lol, don't let him fool ya. He's actually the biggest n00b

When I put the effort in, my squad is usually top scorer with a positive K/D,and I often get the best score, and mostly I get K/Ds of more than 2:1. But plenty of times I'm a n00b :P

my xfire is trekkyaaron if you fancy squadding up sometime.(got no xfire )
yeah I often have to bring my 2 other squaddies onto the ring and onto the right team and iGi is always bloody full... so yes mate when I´m around alone I gonna hop in for some rounds to see stats like 6 iGi´s one after another on top with figures like 3574 2378 72 2...

@topic: finally there are ppl who know what they are talking about without wikipedia and youtube
go and apply for PR DEV team as weapon and ammo pro

Quote:
Here's a related question: does anyone even use the AK47 in-game? Whenever I play Chechens, Taliban or Insurgents everyone is using either AK74U or just the regular sights/scoped AK74 anyway.
Yep I do often as chechen and as taliban, it aint bad for some more controlled stuff than aks74u... And with the new patch only one dude will be able to use aks74u in the squad so that topic here is important
Old 2009-05-20, 13:34   #50
deemoowoor

Quote:
@topic: finally there are ppl who know what they are talking about without wikipedia and youtube
go and apply for PR DEV team as weapon and ammo pro
Well, if you mean me, then I have to say I did use Wikipedia among my sources for precise data, along with http://world.guns.ru/ammo/am03-e.htm which is a great source of information about firearms on the Internet.

Despite concerns about the accuracy of Wikipedia, it is still quite useful to find basic information about almost everything, especially in scientific and technical fields. But of course, it has to be taken with a grain of salt, compared to other reputable sources and verified, if possible. Most Wikipedia articles do cite sources, so it's not always a problem.

Anyway, what I've learned is that PR is just a game with its own constraints, just like many others (America's Army, Battlefield games for ex.). You just can't model the real life that accurately and still have the game be fun to play etc. I think players can live with the fact that AK 47 shoots less accurately, especially if it's in an insurgent's hands -- you can easily imagine, that the insurgent wielding it is not well trained to use it.

I can say from my humble real life experience, that only a fraction of people can accurately shoot from different weapons. It takes considerable amount of training to shoot accurately, especially in practical combat situations -- where you have to move quickly and quietly, hide etc. You just don't get that much accuracy in real life, as you do with high-precision point-and-click devices.

If you want to see, how accurately does an average person shoot, go to a local practical shooting event. Not a high-grade one, the local one. You'll see that people will miss, shooting from a pistol even at almost point-blank distance (i.e. a couple of meters). You'll see them having their weapons fully unloaded and them staring at it without a clue, that it just needs to be reloaded. Because in real life it's not just CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-R-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK.
Last edited by deemoowoor; 2009-05-20 at 13:46..
Closed Thread

Tags
accuracy, ak47