project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Squad Leader Tactics
30 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2010-06-30, 10:43   #41
Pvt.Jumper
Default Re: Terrible squad members.

How to recognize a Bad squad member :

He's constantly giving his own opinion on things, e.g where the squad should move and what to do. Usually, such people intend to ignore your direct orders and go alone in their own little world, moments after shouting for a revive.

Trigger happy. If you're moving in a stealth-like formation and someone randomly opens up on the enemy and calls the contact out only after the shot was made - you're bound to know that this will happen again. And thus, a kick is vital to fix this problem.

Players who need baby sitting. Every single time, they will follow you. No matter where you go, no matter what you say to then - they'll be there, behind you, smelling your arse.

Random kit requesters. If you clearly state NOT to take any special kits and just use the load out provided by the spawning tab - usually people end up taking a HAT, whereas your squad is initiating a rush to the enemies 1st flag. To slow them down. Even you assign a marksman kit, or a LAT kit. Players will take the more powerful versions of that kit. In this case, the Sniper and or the HAT.

How to have a good time when leading a squad :

Look for members who are excited and throw out a joke or two. In most of my cases, whenever I'm leading a squad with chilled peeps - we win. Or players who take this game fairly seriously and be as tactical as they can be.

Constantly asking for orders. To some it might seem "annoying" althought it's actually a positive thing for the SL. Believe it or not, the majority of the SL's do forget their movement plan and stick to the same place, e.g a building they've garrisoned inside. Once someone asks for further orders - a SL can quickly brief himself with the ongoing situation and get a battle plan.

Is my squad leader good or is he a rookie?

Easy to tell. If a SL is performing a rush which simply can't work. e.g rushing Jabal Al burj as US. That WILL fail. No matter what. That's, obviously, a example of a bad SL.

A good one will often stick to defensive tactics and perform slight pushes into the enemy territory. Always concentrating on huge structures to take over for a decent ammount of cover.

~ The end of wall of text! ~

I hope your eyes won't bleed out from all the reading

P.S: Don't pummel me for any grammar mistakes!
Pvt.Jumper is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-30, 12:13   #42
Jarryd_455495

Good guide jumper, but i have to disagree with the "SM giving their opinion".
Sure they are bad if they walk off in 'their own lil world' but it's still good for SM to give their ideas. Sometimes it opens a good route to you and if not it still gives you a chance to make them feel like they are part of the sqd.
HOWEVER
If they don't shut up from their plan when you start talking or talk over you thats when they are bad, they are trying to take over YOUR sqd and effect how well others can hear your orders.
And about the getting hit too much, sometimes you have to see if it was just plain stupidity or just them having a bad round, happens to everyone and some more than others.

Anyawy i usually kick if they are running off with any kit they want without any proper plan from me, had one guy run off, lose a sniper kit and when i asked him 'what he was doing now?' he replied with 'going to get the kit back' after that i gave him a quick lecture about 'how he shouldn't have done it and he should have informed someone sooner because the kits probably gone by now' then kick for someone who wanted to help the sqd(which arrived very soon and was a great help).

Can't give you anything on SM being smarta$$'s because i've never run into any (not in mine or someone else's sqd i've been in), one good thing about BigD servers and they good admining there.
Last edited by Jarryd_455495; 2010-06-30 at 12:23..
Old 2010-06-30, 18:44   #43
Pvt.Jumper

Quote:
Sure they are bad if they walk off in 'their own lil world' but it's still good for SM to give their ideas. Sometimes it opens a good route to you and if not it still gives you a chance to make them feel like they are part of the sqd.
HOWEVER
If they don't shut up from their plan when you start talking or talk over you thats when they are bad, they are trying to take over YOUR sqd and effect how well others can hear your orders.
Ehm! You don't dissagree with me. What you just said, equals to my original post!

Well, few ideas are good, but when theres too much of 'em - it'll seem that someone else is leading the squad for you. And you're just the guy with a radio, placing down FOB's..
Old 2010-06-30, 22:59   #44
Arnoldio
Banned

Fight fire with fire, be stubborn and dont yell and complain about them like "guys we cannot do this if you dont listen...".

Just repeat the same sentence again again until the guy does it. I was just playing earlier and one of my squadmates decided to go save a tank with was almost a km away. First he asked if he can go, but i said no, then i repeatedly kept saying to him to come back to the squad and defend. Told him like 10 times and when i was just about to kick him, he left. Then i needed to get 2 guys down from the hills to me. I said once, twice... five times and they came down eventually.
Arnoldio is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-30, 23:06   #45
L4gi
Server Administrator (A-N)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt.Jumper View Post
e.g rushing Jabal Al burj as US. That WILL fail. No matter what.

You are wrong. I have made it work numerous times.
L4gi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-30, 23:51   #46
BloodAce

L4gi it's not even funny anymore
BloodAce is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 11:47   #47
Pvt.Jumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4gi View Post
Unless the MEC team was 3 year olds in wheel chairs then yes, did manage to do it. Other than that, I doubt you can hold the flag with 1 squad versus two or even more. In my eyes, you rushed with one full squad which does make it insanely hard to do it. You'd have to kill everyone who enters the flag zone otherwise you'd be overrun fairly quickly. OR you rushed with two or even more squads. Which makes it fairly easy.
Old 2010-07-01, 14:26   #48
dtacs
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4gi View Post
Yep, I've been on the giving and receiving end and it screws MEC over pretty bad.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 08:12   #49
Pvt.Jumper

Must.. Resist.. Don't.. Flame.. L4gi.. Phew!
Old 2010-12-19, 12:19   #50
guru951
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portable.Cougar View Post
There are no bad squad members

Only bad Squad Leaders
I think you're right. I mean a squad member can only be a jackass if his SL allows him to be. If the squaddy is an unreliable little shit, than the kick button is clicked. If the SL does not do this than he IS a bad SL. So with that being said. There are no bad squad members, only bad SL's.

I find it funny that sometimes I will tell a squad member "when you're ready to be part of the team come on back" and than I ask the squad "what's the shape of Italy?" And than I kick them. But it's funny to me that many times that player will rejoin and follow orders and do exactly what's expected of him after I have kicked them.

guru951 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
members, squad, terrible