project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
28 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2014-03-19, 12:25   #41
ghostfool84
Supporting Member

Default Re: WGP PR Wiki

Maybe there just a temporarely routing problem with your ISP daniel...

[KSK]
ghostfool84 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 12:26   #42
[R-DEV]​Senshi
PR:BF2 Developer
PR Server License Administrator

The responsiveness is slow if the server has to recompile the webpage, which takes the mentioned 10-15 seconds as there's quite a bunch of expensive templates being used (sometimes multiple times on a single page). The wiki does use parser and html caching, but as I'm currently changing a lot of things every now and then, the wiki becomes very sluggish during those updates. Whenever a webpage that uses one of the templates I edited gets loaded for the first time after the update it redoes the caching, causing a slow load time again.
I changed some templates that affect all pages (and will continue this the next days) , so this'll occur some more until it improves again. There's only so much we can do to improve this on the server end, as many of those templates just need to be as complex as they are, and there's some pretty expensive parser calls I can't avoid. Also, mediawiki has a horrible parsing speed performance by default, which obviously is impossible to overcome except by not using mediawiki and going for a different presentation form (which again would take quite some time to convert to, despite the benefits it'd provide).

Me and the webadmin do monitor this. He still fiddles with cache settings to improve performance (it's apparently quite an art), and I will revisit those expensive templates to try and make them more efficient. But to be honest this is kind of low priority compared to getting the content correct and up to date.

To get an idea of how horribly messy those templates are, just look at
Quelltext von Seite Vorlage:Infobox Panzer ansehen ? WGPWiki

That's what has to get processed for every single vehicle on the faction pages. I know where some of the biggest performance hogs come from (#ifexist), but it's difficult to work around these without the wiki getting spammed with nasty image redlinks.

tl;dr : Whenever a page is updated in some way, the server needs to re-cache it. This is done when the page is visited for the first time. Every subsequent visit to the page will prompt the server to simply provide the cached finished version it has stored instead of recompiling the entire page, which usually is completed fairly instantaneous.

Senshi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 12:30   #43
Dude_Nukem
Supporting Member

Daniel, I think it's your internet connection. Like you mentioned about the PRSPY site being slow, if I can remember correctly. But both sites are working perfectly fine for me. And others, I see. Btw, if its slow but still showing up, just have some patience, maybe?

On-topic: Thanks for the Wiki, it's looking good and it can be very helpful. I don't mind if it is a little bit slow.
Dude_Nukem is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 13:31   #44
Daniel
Banned
Supporting Member

Yeah, sth. wrong with my ISP, since also till few days ago for some reason Mod DB was blocked, saying "openDNS" or sth. blocked it for P2P (peer to peer??) and FILESHARING?? WTF?? xD rofl. (Anyone any ideas on this OpenDNS-blocking problem?? )

Now working fine again for some reason, but WGP wiki still taking 10 sec. "server-reaction-time" till it loads the page in 1 sec. -.-

EDIT: test now again after 10 sec. (JUST tested a minute ago) and now WGP loading in 1 sec! ! ! FIXXXED !! Thx guys for your input/help!!

Could Sbeneh be added to the wiki?

Dude, Nukem, the thing with PRspy was only SEVERAL times that it wasn't loading at all in a timeframe of 30-60 minutes occasionally (PRspy claiming "no new information", but that issue barely is there, meaning PRspy works totally fine 90-95% of the time. )
Daniel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-09, 19:39   #45
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Hi Senshi, any chance you can add

<p lang="de"> to your META data so it's easier to translate your pages in GoogleTranslate ?

Or you know, add the GoogleTranslator button to the top header for each page if you're bored. :P

Quote:
edit the header.php, add a div between body tag and wrapper div:

Code:
<body <?php body_class(); ?>>
<div id=”translation” style=”float:right”>
<?php echo do_shortcode('[google-translator]'); ?>
</div>
<div id=”wrapper” class=”hfeed”>

LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-21, 07:46   #46
[R-DEV]​Senshi
PR:BF2 Developer
PR Server License Administrator

Good idea, I'll look into it.

But I think it'd be more important to get the Wiki up to date again . As my semester is over now as well as my 5 weeks motorcycle trip in Scandinavia, there's a chance I'll find the time to finally get my reworked Mod Analyzer finalized enough to finish the most important stuff. The faction/vehicles pages (which are most outdated) will probably still stagnate, as I have little means to automate analysis of those yet. And doing it manually takes dozens of workhours (= weeks).

As is indicated on the title screen of the wiki, I'd like to convert the entire Wiki to English. The German version has outlived its usefulness; what remains of the German PR community has a sufficient grasp of the English language (especially PR & weapon terminology) to understand an English wiki.

Senshi is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
wgp, wiki