Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-29, 15:07   #41
=-=kittykiller
Default Re: Improved Close Support Bridges #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by =-=kittykiller View Post
i for one would love a "craziest use of CSB" picture to show the new potential. For some reason i have never been able to do them right will they only deploy at preset points?
Indeed they are only placeable at pre-set locations to 1, ensure that any placement can actually be used and it isn't floating up off the ground or not connecting to another section etc and 2, to stop players exploiting and using it in odd/strange ways.

Also might help to read this: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f19...idges-csb.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
How To Deploy a Close Support Bridge (CSB)

Since our CSBs are going to deploy very differently from our other deployable objects I'm going to write a small tutorial here on how its done

First of all you will need to grab a Logistics Truck on a conventional forces team (Militia, Taliban and Insurgents don't count), the logistics truck being the truck with the canvas over the back, for the British its the MAN truck with the canvas over the back. You can also check your Truck can deploy bridges by scrolling though the weapons and checking it has a CSB in the selection list (default key: 4). Also note with the new selection list in the logistics trucks that we have also added a "Nothing Active" weapon in slot, this is basically a safe mode to make sure you dont drop crates while on the move. We have also moved the Supply Crates to the 2nd slot (default key: 2) and added the repair drop into the selection list (default key: 3):

Once you have a Logistics Truck that can deploy a CSB, drive to a spot where you can deploy a CSB. You will be able to tell where a bridge can be deployed most of the time by a small dirt pile on the river bank or on the side of a ditch etc or in some cases there will be no dirt pile reference like when deploying a CSB over a broken part of bridge.

Now backup your logistics truck up to the place you want to deploy your CSB so that the back is facing towards where it will be placed and get it as close as possible to make sure it deploys, deploy it too far away and it will not work and you will need to go back to base to reload your CSB again so don't be afraid to get out and check your close enough.

Once you have backed up to where you want to deploy your CSB, select your CSB from your weapon list (default key: 4) and click the right mouse button (RMB) to deploy the bridge. You should hear the sound of hydraulics working but you will have no visual que for the CSB being deployed other than with the CSB "weapon" selected (default key: 4), you will see the "2" in the bottom right hand corner turn to a red "0".

A few seconds later (can sometimes take as long as 10secs), if you have deployed your CSB correctly then you will see it appear in front of your eyes, and you will be able to drive happily over it

For combination bridging, when spanning larger stretches of river you basically need to do the same things as when just placing down one bridge, but since you are deploying multiple sections you need to do it more than once.

First of all like before grab your logistics truck and drive to a location where the gap that needs to be bridged is large enough that it will take multiple CSBs to bridge and back your truck up to it like before.

Deploy the bridge like before and you will then see the first section pop up into view like before, the only difference this time that the bridge dosen't meet the other end of the river.

Now you have dropped your CSB you will need to Return to Base (RTB) and reload it at the vehicle supply and repair depo. Make sure that you fully reload the CSB before setting off by selecting the CSB in the weapon selection menu (default key: 4) and checking that it has "2" in the very bottom right of the screen. If it has a "0" or even a "1" it will not deploy a bridge.

Once you have reloaded your CSB, head back to your bridging project and back up onto the completed section of bridge. This you may find a little tricky, espically since your reversing onto it so I would suggest you also check the driving tut below and also practice driving on forwards first. But to deploy the next section of bridge you need to back up onto the completed section. Use your rear mirror view (default key: F11 or C) and back up onto the bridge. You will most likley want to get out and check just before you hit the bridge that your wheels are in line with each side, if you get it wrong you will slip down the middle and die.

Once you have backed up onto the bridge and your close to the end you can deploy your new CSB (you can be further away than I am in my last pic, I was a little too close )

And now Mr Tanky can happily cross the bridge you have just completed

How To Drive Over a Close Support Bridge (CSB)

Now I know most of you are going to laugh that I've put a tutorial on how to drive over a bridge but I'm going to laugh even harder at someone who didn't read this tutorial who ends up falling off one of these bridges and dies

First of all I would suggest you first try driving over one of these in a tank, since a tank is the easiest vehicle to drive over one of these believe it or not, simply because these where designed mainly to take tanks in r/l and as a result are the same width as a tank and you have a lot of space to play with, as well as with your driver view being in the very centre of the tank you can easily tell how far off to the left or right you are and how much you need to adjust, but this still dosen't mean you should go over one of these bridges like a bull in a china shop.

First of all drive upto the head of the bridge and line yourself up with the bridge, for your first few times you will probably want to get out and check just to make sure your all good but once you have got the hang of it you wont need to leave the protection of your tank

Once you have lined yourself up, drive over it slowly, in real life if you drive over these bridges too fast your track can kick out the bridge from under you, although this dosen't happen in game its still a good idea to do so, and just continue strait to the end, making as few adjustments as possible and any adjustments you do make, make very small ones.

Now that was the easy tank, the smaller the vehicle you go the harder it gets because there is very little room for error when driving over these. I'm really not at all surprised when a few months back when a Flood in Workington (NE England) destroyed a bridge and the Royal Engineers where sent in to build a replacement bridge to temporarily reconnect the town, why they didn't opt for these Close Support Bridges (CSB) and only built a foot bridge, because if they did we would have seen car after car falling into the river, but the News Reports didn't seem to get that point

Any ways, like with the tank before, first line your front up with the bridge, since on the landrover your sitting far on the right side, you will have yo really compensate your view to get both wheels onto the bridge and you will really need to learn where abouts your wheels are on every vehicle if you want to get over these bridges quickly without checking and making adjustments.

Once on, keep driving strait and slow like the on the tank.

If you mess it up, this is what happens and you loose a vehicle and a bunch of tickets, + maybe a few men (note: I messed it up on purpose ).

wow thanks, the PR master has spoken
Last edited by [R-DEV]Rhino; 2013-05-29 at 15:22..
Old 2013-05-31, 08:29   #42
Red Feniks

Nice work Rhino!!
Old 2013-06-25, 10:27   #43
Unhealed

ARF attacks.
Old 2013-06-25, 14:59   #44
Brooklyn-Tech

will placing CSBs give you points in 1.0??

in 0.98 a couple days ago on jabal i spent a very long time building all three possible CSBs. two over the river (which were very long) and over the main north bridge. After building all of these bridges my score was literally 0.

while i'm not the kind of guy that plays for points, i would like to be "rewarded" for doing something for the team.

what if deployed bridges generated points like deployed fobs? i doubt people wound start building them all over the place just for points, but for those that do build them it would be a nice "thank you".
Old 2013-06-27, 10:39   #45
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn-Tech View Post
will placing CSBs give you points in 1.0??

in 0.98 a couple days ago on jabal i spent a very long time building all three possible CSBs. two over the river (which were very long) and over the main north bridge. After building all of these bridges my score was literally 0.

while i'm not the kind of guy that plays for points, i would like to be "rewarded" for doing something for the team.

what if deployed bridges generated points like deployed fobs? i doubt people wound start building them all over the place just for points, but for those that do build them it would be a nice "thank you".
The simple answer is no. While we agree it would be good to reward a player for deploying CSBs with points, its not something that would be easy to code since its hard for python to track so for now at least, it wont be giving you any points sorry. But you will still be helping your team and at the end of the day points mean very little as we all know

Old 2013-06-27, 23:10   #46
[R-DEV]​UTurista
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

When discussing this subject did you guys thought of using the Heavy Helicopters to do this job as well?

Dont question the wikipedia! Just because it reports different things on different languages does not make it unreliable source!
Old 2013-06-28, 07:23   #47
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_turista_portugues View Post
When discussing this subject did you guys thought of using the Heavy Helicopters to do this job as well?
Helicopters don't carry these type of Bridges. In theory they could carry a few sections but then they would need to be put together by hand and it just wouldn't work

There is a kind of rope bridge designed to be carried by helicopters but that's for infantry use only.

Old 2013-07-08, 08:18   #48
kgjerding

let me see if I get this Right Mr. Rhino, you can now deploy CSB in a 360 degree from the truck instead of just from the back?

And, it's not that hard to reverse over a CSB, done it a million times, practice makes perfect some wise dude said once.

G.
Old 2013-07-08, 13:01   #49
Brooklyn-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgjerding View Post
let me see if I get this Right Mr. Rhino, you can now deploy CSB in a 360 degree from the truck instead of just from the back?

And, it's not that hard to reverse over a CSB, done it a million times, practice makes perfect some wise dude said once.

G.
I honestly would rather have it only deploy bridges from the back of the truck.

It created more immersion and made you feel like you're actually building something instead of driving up to a river and "poof" a magical bridge appears
Old 2013-07-08, 13:25   #50
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Ye we may have it only deploy off the back again, just got a lot of feedback that that bit was "too hard". I never had any problems with it but then I never had any real problems crossing them either before

Closed Thread

Tags
bridges, close, improved, support