project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
09 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

View Poll Results: How Much Splash Damage should AtG AT Missiles Have vs Armoured Vehicles?
Little to None, as per the v1.0 Open Beta 32 21.05%
~25% so it takes 4 near misses to kill a Tank (less vs APCs) 39 25.66%
~50% so that it 2 near misses to kill a Tank (less vs APCs) 39 25.66%
~75% so it takes 1.5 near misses to kill a Tank (~1 near miss to kill an APC) 21 13.82%
100% so a near miss will kill any vehicle within a 5m (possibly smaller) radius 14 9.21%
A Near Miss should kill any Vehicle within a 10m radius like in v0.98 7 4.61%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-10-01, 20:36   #41
Celestial1
Default Re: AtG AT Missile Splash Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]Mongolian_dude View Post
Sorry Rhino, but it looks like giving the LT and LG Helfires different damage values is the only way to make the weapons act realistically if you insist on giving LG an small splash damage.
Wouldn't that still be broken, though?

1.0 reduced the splash of hellfires, which now means that soft targets not the direct target of the missile are no longer murdificated on splash, but making LT retain the old splash damage would mean that helo gunners can laze and fire LT to get the ability to wipe all of the squishy infantry within 20m again.

I guess it's mitigated the smaller the splash for LT is made but still, can result in some silly exploit tactics for gunners.
Celestial1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 03:15   #42
Jolly

When my tank doesn't have ATGM and nme's does.
I'd not dare to take the tank...
Jolly is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 11:33   #43
Mongolian_dude
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial1 View Post
Wouldn't that still be broken, though?

1.0 reduced the splash of hellfires, which now means that soft targets not the direct target of the missile are no longer murdificated on splash, but making LT retain the old splash damage would mean that helo gunners can laze and fire LT to get the ability to wipe all of the squishy infantry within 20m again.

I guess it's mitigated the smaller the splash for LT is made but still, can result in some silly exploit tactics for gunners.
Reverting the splash to the old value is likely not necessary, but a small amount of testing should give us a more fitting/realistic value than a vote on the forums.
It would also be entirely up to the gunner whether they want to waste time and ATGMs on INF like that when they (except the GER Tiger) have a perfectly capable cannon for this exact purpose.

...mongol...

Military lawyers engaged in fierce legal action.
Mongolian_dude is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 19:59   #44
chrisweb89
PR Server License Moderator

Gunner's can't lase for themselves,and even when they could no one did because the lase flies super slow and is super glitchy. Why would I attempt to lase a target for myself, when in that time I could get two manual missiles off, and with less glitchy shit going on, and when my pilot isn't hovering.

About the LTs though, they are currently broken and their only use is on inf, trucks, or very AA hot areas where you can't hold steady. They aren't reliable in any way (not the LGs are too reliable either), you shoot two missiles at a lased tank, they both track and follow the good lase and tank drives away with no damage done because of the removal of splash damage. Splash damage is what lets the laser targeted weapons work because the lase doesn't stick perfectly on the vehicle, and until lases act properly, the LTs missiles should make up for their short coming to still form an effective weapon system.
chrisweb89 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 11:01   #45
Mongolian_dude
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisweb89 View Post
Gunner's can't lase for themselves,and even when they could no one did because the lase flies super slow and is super glitchy. Why would I attempt to lase a target for myself, when in that time I could get two manual missiles off, and with less glitchy shit going on, and when my pilot isn't hovering.

About the LTs though, they are currently broken and their only use is on inf, trucks, or very AA hot areas where you can't hold steady. They aren't reliable in any way (not the LGs are too reliable either), you shoot two missiles at a lased tank, they both track and follow the good lase and tank drives away with no damage done because of the removal of splash damage. Splash damage is what lets the laser targeted weapons work because the lase doesn't stick perfectly on the vehicle, and until lases act properly, the LTs missiles should make up for their short coming to still form an effective weapon system.
But chris, thats not realistic!
What do you want, it being unrealistic and working (as RL) or it realistically not working (which is entirely unrealistic and not at all like real life) ?

Wait... wut?

Giving two different splash values is the only compromise to balance this issue out, as the ultimate goal of this mod is to provide realistic and enjoyable/logical gameplay. If we can make all the little intricacies as real as they are IRL, thats awesome, but in this instance we cant afford to do so as it entirely compromises gameplay logic, emersion and enjoyability.

Ergo? Separate dat sheet.

...mongol...

Military lawyers engaged in fierce legal action.
Mongolian_dude is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 18:23   #46
sirfstar

At least you should kill anything with 1 hit of LT missile.
Papier-mache AGM-114 - YouTube from 0:30
LT is completely useless, missile hitting the lase and doing nothing, why it's still there then?
sirfstar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 20:11   #47
Qside

bad laze.
Qside is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 20:45   #48
Inspektura43
Banned

Just get yourself a good gunner and never trust LT
Inspektura43 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 22:48   #49
sirfstar

that's the consequence of broken lase placement, not the gunner's fault. And while we had that big splash in pre-1.0 no one cared about LT, but now things are different
sirfstar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 08:38   #50
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

For our next test build we are looking at testing Mats39's improved laser physics here that should allow for lasers to stick on their targets better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats391 View Post
using RotationalPoint instead of Point as physics type seems to be a huge improvement.
For example i tested Point vs RotationalPoint both with the current 250m/s

The RotationalPoint ones stick tighter to where you aim and are more consistant. With Point they sometimes didnt stick at all while RotationalPoint did just fine.
We've yet to test this out ourselves but so far it dose look promising and providing there are no unforeseen issues with this and it works the way we hope it dose, then this should solve the big underlying issue with "Laser Targeted".

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
atg, damage, missile, splash