project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:Falklands General Discussion
09 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:Falklands General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality Falklands modification.

Old 2015-01-12, 14:56   #41
Rabbit
Default Re: So when will Falklands return?

Tis just but a weather balloon!
Old 2015-01-13, 04:55   #42
Danesh_italiano
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Sunday I see the Official PR Test Server with the map "The Falklands" and had 12 people playing...

Would some kind soul put to us some photo/video? Please?!

I only know that I know nothing. Só sei que nada sei. Sólo sé que no sé nada. So solo di non sapere nulla. Tantum scio me nihil scire. Je sais seulement que je ne sais rien. Tiedän vain, etten tiedä mitään. Ich weiss nur dass ich nichts weiss. Ek weet net dat ek niks weet nie. Wiem tylko, ?e nic nie wiem. Heoi ko ahau anake e mohio ana kahore au e mohio. Ngiyazi kuphela ukuthi angazi lutho.
Old 2015-01-13, 05:12   #43
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Well since I can't resit such an expression, here is a little something

Old 2015-01-13, 14:16   #44
Rabbit

Is that when you guys got rekt attacking port stanley?
Old 2015-01-13, 16:02   #45
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Well I wasn't attacking in that one, just flying around in circles testing out the AA effectiveness but yes I did eventually die hehe

Old 2015-02-10, 06:18   #46
Jagira

Why isn't such render distances achievable in normal PR?
Old 2015-02-10, 07:00   #47
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Mainly because the map doesn't use normal BF2 terrain and instead uses "Mesh Terrain", which is basically a massive static mesh / building. This dose have serious disadvantages like non-blending detail textures, loss of undergrowth (grass) and things like that but the big advantages are that you can for starters, have massive terrain like the Falklands have that isn't limited to 4km, and you can also have a lot more control on the optimization of the terrain which in turn, if optimized well can allow you to have a much larger VD, 3kms being the max on BF2 thou, which the map is

Old 2015-02-11, 09:30   #48
Jagira

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Mainly because the map doesn't use normal BF2 terrain and instead uses "Mesh Terrain", which is basically a massive static mesh / building. This dose have serious disadvantages like non-blending detail textures, loss of undergrowth (grass) and things like that but the big advantages are that you can for starters, have massive terrain like the Falklands have that isn't limited to 4km, and you can also have a lot more control on the optimization of the terrain which in turn, if optimized well can allow you to have a much larger VD, 3kms being the max on BF2 thou, which the map is
Thanks, I've always wondered this. It sounds amazing too. Can't wait for Falklands to come out, and good luck!
Old 2015-02-12, 03:26   #49
Barbrady

Why not make it a lower view distance and have (even) better performance?
Old 2015-02-12, 05:47   #50
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbrady View Post
Why not make it a lower view distance and have (even) better performance?
This map is largely a jet map, not entirely but largely, and the larger the VD the better jet combat you get, in both terms of Air to Air and Surface to Air. Being able to see your enemy well before your in engagement range opens the door to loads of tactics etc unlike most other PR Jet maps which is mainly a matter of hopefully stumbling on the enemy in the fog and who ever gets the first shot off normally wins...

Lowering the VD will just make the jet combat worse and take away one of the massive features of this map which is also awesome for the guys fighting on the ground too.

If players have issues with performance, which in past releases not even low gfx users did, they can reduce their VD % in their video settings if they really want to lower the VD just for themselves.

Tags
falklands, return