project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
03 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2015-07-21, 04:24   #41
BeaverPeeper
Default Re: [NEW PLAYERS] Welcome to Project Reality

Hey Folks! I'm a former player of Battlefield Play 4 Free from open Beta to the very end 4 years, I'm looking forward to making Project Reality my new home, It's a little frustrating a bit getting used to the controls. I wish there more weapons to choose from, I am more of a Recon Sniping person and I would like to see Bolt Action rifle with zoom scopes, is the possible to see in this game? I would also like to know does this game unlock weapons and rank up?

Thanks,
Beavs
BeaverPeeper is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-21, 19:35   #42
Hurricane
Supporting Member

Hi there. There are absolutely no unlocks in this game, neither is there a rank assigned to players so you can not level up.

As for the narrow selection of weapons, it is an intentional choice since conventional armies do not field several kinds of assault rifles (outside of SOF units, that is). Therefore you will only have access to weapons actually fielded by the army you're playing as, such as the M4/M16 series of rifles for US armed forces, the L85 for brits, G36 for germans, Tavor/M4/Galil for isrealis etc.
Irregular forces (Iraqi insurgents, Hamas etc) tend to have a wider range of rifles to choose from in this game, everything from Mosin Nagants to AKs (obviously) and FALs, G3s, the SKS etc ... The most obscure weapon ingame I can think of is probably the MAT-49 submachine gun.

Bolt action rifles do exist in this game, either as a standard weapon of irregular forces or as actual sniper rifles with high power optics for conventional forces. Do note however that these are severely limited per team and, despite being powerful weapons, are not as useful as you might think and generally shouldn't be deployed by most players, especially new ones who didn't quite grasp the game yet. Don't take this as an offense, but just the question about the possibility to snipe suggests you did not research this game very well.

Anyway .... If you are serious about making PR your new go-to-game you will need to understand and accept such restrictions. This game isn't non-stop high intensity action such as BF2 (or BF P4F possibly) was. PR puts great emphasis on tactics, it is not uncommon to walk quite a few minutes to your next objective, and it is also pretty common to not engage enemies you've seen, really just simply ignore them, in order to stay stealthy and maneuver your squad into a certain position.
At times, PR is a really slow game. However, as soon as you see combat the pace changes drastically and firefights are usually very intense. Imo the sheer intensity of combat more than makes up for the slower part, and it actually wouldn't feel so great if you could just respawn a few seconds later right next to where you died. It gives wiping an enemy squad a real sense of accomplishment. You will value your life ingame a lot more than in more casual, fast paced shooters. It is completely up to you wether you will like this kind of game or not.

Okay, so assuming you will still give PR a shot here's some things you really should do to get the best experience out of it (and also not ruin it for everybody else):
  • Read the manual at least once carefully. Yes, it isn't exactly the most fun thing to do. Yes, it takes a while. Yes, the majority of it is actually important to grasp the basic gameplay mechanics.
  • Make sure you have a working microphone. Communication is absolutely essential in PR and text chat is no viable subsitute. Most squads will kick you if you don't respond to their Mumble (voip that comes with PR). Bonus: A lot of squads (especially on north-american servers) tend to chat and joke quite a lot during long walks. You don't want to miss out on that
  • Join a populated server, then join an infantry squad. Look for names such as Mum(ble) Inf / Mic Inf / Inf En(glish) etc.
    Say hello to them in Mumble and introduce yourself as a new player. Most squads are welcoming and will guide you through your first round and show you some tips here and there. If nobody responds or the squad is scattered across the map (easily seen by clicking on the squad name in the squad menu, they will show up as white dots), join a different one. Stick to your squad at all times unless ordered otherwise.
  • Stick to simple kits for the beginning and possibly have the squad leader assign them to you. It may be hard to resist some of the toys more specialized kits get but generally these are valuable assets to your squad/team and you will contribute nothing to them by denying them access to these.
  • Enjoy the shit out of it.

Hurricane is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-24, 05:35   #43
GoogleDrive

Hi guys.. I'm new here.. Just download the game, PR:BF2 v1.3, but unfortunatly i got some corrupted file locate at mods/pr/levels/korengal/clents.zip
so is there someone here kindly enough to help me by uploading that file from your gamedata? I can't redownload the whole game (6.7 gigs) anymore cause i'm using internt with quote limit, and i use almost all of my quote to download the game.. i'll really appreciate if you guys can help me..
ah and i already made a thread about this thing in General Discussion section. but maybe i can get higher chance to get help if i'm posting it here too..
thank you very much guys, will wait for your help
Last edited by GoogleDrive; 2015-07-24 at 05:40..
Old 2015-08-26, 14:25   #44
Nooseman
Post Re: [NEW PLAYERS] Welcome to Project Reality

Hey all. I'm new to this but a veteran of squad based tactical play, I'm going to do some extensive reading before popping in to a game, which I do not mind. I've played Arma, have played battlefield since the first one, I play well with others, and generally do pretty well with squads who give orders(Arma, bf3,4), in fact I prefer it. I learned a lot of my squad based stuff and tactics from my days of America's Army and play with some of The leaders of the anti cheat community of AA in VCO(virtual combat ops) and still am a part of the VCO family currently. I like giving out suggestions on battle plans and tactics, I'll let you know if I feel like we can take a room, building, objective, or dug in position more effectively, I can lead a squad but I'm sure this will be different then what I'm used to. I love squads who know how to bound( leap frog) from cover to cover effectively and who know how to cover multiple angels, including the rear , to keep everyone safe. I have played a lot of world war 2 online and know the importance of being well coordinated and the importance of supply and staying away from things I'm not good with( vehicles, planes, and other supply stuff) don't like to waste a kit or take up resources I have no business using. Although if The tanks handle anything like the new battle fields or SIM style games even I can do well with them, but I will wait till I can get on an empty server or something to practice if that's at All an option. I know to never stop moving, avoid tight spaces and can tell areas that are generally bad for armor , where one can easily be flanked or hit from the top, but as I said I'll have to wait and see how the game plays. I also enjoy gunning for Attack helps, and I'm also pretty effective with providing a stable platform for a gunner to shoot from, and know helicopter tactics for effective attack runs and evasive menuvers. I am a bit of a history and military buff, And have studied a lot of tactics And have watched many different documentaries. I believe a lot of the stuff I've learned about over time with my fascination and love of military and history has helpex me be a better player, squad member, and a more effective leader if I'm ever in the role which I tend not to take very often, I'd rather give support to team mates and the squad leader. I can't wait to get back out there, I do believe I've played PR in it's early days. Hope to meet some great players that I sync with and can kick some ass with. I've got 22 years of gaming under my belt out of my 28 years alive. The last 10 of that I've been pretty unstoppable in most FPS I pick up, I learn very quickly especially if I get playing with good players who are willing to up my game and give me pointers. I tend to find good players and learn from them, just like in life, show me how to do something the right way the first time and I'll never do it wrong. I know this was a long intro but I felt it was necessary to let y'all know what I'm all about and who I am, sorry if this was the wrong post to do it on. PM if you want to get some games in and don't mind showing me the ropes and get me going on the right track. See you out there.
Nooseman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-26, 14:38   #45
[R-MOD]Nate.
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Nice post there Nooseman, you definitely have the right mindset

Good luck with PR.

Quote:
I also enjoy gunning for Attack helps, and I'm also pretty effective with providing a stable platform for a gunner to shoot from, and know helicopter tactics for effective attack runs and evasive menuvers.
When it comes to CAS, I suggest you learn from PR players before adapting strategies you learned in other games or real life into PR. The same goes for vehicles. There is a lot of small things one should know about in the CAS and vehicle gameplay (how lasing works, how AA works, using vehicle smokes & IR smoke, repair system in the field, making sound checks, identifying friend from foe; it's not easy).

Enjoy!

Nate. is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-04, 18:39   #46
M1SZ3Lpl

Nice guide, now that it's standalone I'm realy looking forward to play. Small question guys, I'm pretty good pilot in every kind of sim game, how realistic flying in PR is? From what I saw it's more similar to Ace Combat rather than Lock-on :P
M1SZ3Lpl is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-04, 18:48   #47
boberczus

Well isn't Lock On, but it's far away from vanilla BF2 too. I'd say it's somewhere in the middle.
boberczus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-23, 05:19   #48
Ham Sammich

Hey all! New player here, just signed in to say "Howdy" and ask for a little advice. First off, a little background on my gaming... I've been a hardcore PC gamer since the late 1980's with no signs of slowing down yet! I used to be into online gaming, playing stuff like WoW, Planetside 1&2, Team Fortress Classic, the original Counter Strike, Operation Flashpoint, ARMA 1, Left 4 Dead, and a few other miscellaneous titles scattered in for good measure. For the record though, I consider myself to be a solo player most of the time.

The last decent team-based gaming I did was on Planetside 2, where I belonged to a squad, for about 6 months. It was a pretty well organized group of guys, but after a while, the sheer size of the game got to be rather tedious, so I quit. Honestly, when it comes to games that fall into the combat genre, I've been pretty much against any online gaming mostly because of cheaters, hackers, whiners, K/D ratio whores, lone-wolves, etc... you get the idea.

I've been watching a lot of PR videos on Youtube, mostly posted by Bluedrake42, and I'm really attracted to the organized way that the game is being played. You guys don't have any of the free-for-all crap I see with other combat games, and players really seem to make an effort to work as a team. That's the kind of online combat gaming I'm interested in. I have no problems being a regular infantryman and following orders to the best of my ability. I understand that PR has long periods where nothing is happening punctuated by moments of intense action, which I prefer over non-stop gunfire and instant respawns anyway. It reminds me of what a cop buddy of mine once said when describing what it was like to be a patrol officer, "It's 95% boredom and 5% sheer terror." (Not that there's any real comparison between an online combat game and being a cop, of course. Just sayin'.)

I've already downloaded and installed the standalone PR 1.3 client and I've played a little bit of the local co-op game with bots, but I'm still learning the basics. In fact, I'm not 100% settled on my keyboard layout just yet, so I'm definitely not ready to hit the servers!

So, I guess I'm here to ask, besides reading the manual and some of the useful posts here, is there anything I should focus on in offline "bot" mode that will help me better understand the game mechanics? I know that some features are probably best learned (and maybe only available) in an actual online game, but if there's anything good about practicing with the bots offline, I'd like to know so I can utilize it. I've already found aiming and hitting targets to be challenging, so obviously that's one I can practice offline!

Thanks guys! Hope to see you on the battlefield soon!

- H -
Last edited by Ham Sammich; 2015-09-23 at 12:27..
Old 2015-09-23, 07:16   #49
[TP]Olsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Sammich View Post
So, I guess I'm here to ask, besides reading the manual and some of the useful posts here, is there anything I should focus on in offline "bot" mode that will help me better understand the game mechanics? I know that some features are probably best learned (and maybe only available) in an actual online game, but if there's anything good about practicing with the bots offline, I'd like to know so I can utilize it. I've already found aiming and hitting targets to be challenging, so obviously that's one I can practice offline!

Thanks guys! Hope to see you on the battlefield soon!

- H -
First of all, try the different kits and get a feeling of them, get the feeling of how dangerous an automatic rifleman (AR) or a machinegunner (LMG) can be in a good spot. Earn "respect" for the different weaponry and how it can affect you in tight situations.

Practice distinguising between friend or foe!
Tips for distinguishing friend or foe: Look for "special" features of their uniform. E.g. the IDF has some huge hats on some maps making them very easy to distinguish. You can also look around at your fellow soldiers if you're in doubt whether you see an enemy or not, compare their uniforms.
Look at the guns they carry. If you have som knowlegde about guns and how they look, this can be a nice trick. US Army patrolling the forest and see a guy carrying an AK with a huge scope on? That's a russian!

Practice map awareness, use it in combination with the compass on the bottom of your monitor. If you see something you suspect is enemy, check the bearing and compare with your map. Also get used to pressing CAPS LOCK for the map rather than "M", the CAPS LOCK menu/map is far more informative and will let you mark e.g. a squad in the menu and have them light up in white on the map.
[TP]Olsen is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-23, 16:26   #50
Ham Sammich

Quote:
Originally Posted by [TP]Olsen View Post
First of all, try the different kits and get a feeling of them, get the feeling of how dangerous an automatic rifleman (AR) or a machinegunner (LMG) can be in a good spot. Earn "respect" for the different weaponry and how it can affect you in tight situations.

Practice distinguising between friend or foe!
Tips for distinguishing friend or foe: Look for "special" features of their uniform. E.g. the IDF has some huge hats on some maps making them very easy to distinguish. You can also look around at your fellow soldiers if you're in doubt whether you see an enemy or not, compare their uniforms.
Look at the guns they carry. If you have som knowlegde about guns and how they look, this can be a nice trick. US Army patrolling the forest and see a guy carrying an AK with a huge scope on? That's a russian!

Practice map awareness, use it in combination with the compass on the bottom of your monitor. If you see something you suspect is enemy, check the bearing and compare with your map. Also get used to pressing CAPS LOCK for the map rather than "M", the CAPS LOCK menu/map is far more informative and will let you mark e.g. a squad in the menu and have them light up in white on the map.
All solid tips, Olsen, thanks! Yes, I'm discovering that effective IFF is tricky. On some maps, I've been fortunate to get distinctly different color uniforms between my forces and the enemy's, but others are not so easy. I haven't yet developed the habit of checking the squad map to check the bearing of unidentified contacts, but I will work on that. (Honestly, I don't really look at the regular (M key) map because of its limitations.) I'll also make note of weapon types whenever possible since I hadn't really thought of that.

That reminds me, when I hit CAPS LOCK, the squad panel appears immediately on the left, but the map itself takes about 1~2 seconds to open up. Is that normal? I didn't notice that delay when watching videos on YT.

Thanks again!

- H -
Ham Sammich is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
players, project, reality