project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Mapping
22 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2008-05-28, 21:25   #41
Hans Martin Slayer
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Map] The big one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]ice_killer View Post
yea can you get some pics here from the aircontrole tower ? 2 pics isto little to get a good PR model
hmm quite hard to get decent pics from the tower, that's all i could find so far wich wan't posted so far iirc:

Panoramio - Photo of КандагаÑ$, аэÑ$опоÑ$Ñ‚ 1984

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/69766...4831B75F48EF45
Hans Martin Slayer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 06:14   #42
Glimmerman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
yea can you get some pics here from the aircontrole tower ? 2 pics isto little to get a good PR model
Perhaps some of our Afghanistan vets can provide extra pictures on than that use your imagination

Glimmerman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 21:12   #43
Hans Martin Slayer
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Kandahar Airport in the bottem left of the map, with some Kandahar outskirts then in the middle of the map, Tarin Kowt (Kamp Holland FOB) with a road leading from kandahar to the FOB.
i was sitting about that map idea a bit more today (instead of preping for my final exam ) - so i got some questions about the quote to clarifiy things a bit.

i'd place kandahar airfield between bottom left and center. no need to move it to the left corner imho.

you say: with some kandahar outskirts. you mean the airfield with kandahar outskirts close to it? doesn't make sence imo since kandahar city is a good way up to the north-west from the airfield. about 18kms according to google earth.

so like i said, kandahar outskirts would be on the top-left corner, far away from the airfield.

for the fob: the map definately needs a fob close to the center, maybe slightly a bit to the south/west of the center, with the ability for helos to land there. but kamp holland is in uruzgan province (i dont have to tell you that anyways ) - so i think an 'imaginary fob' would be in order there.

just look at the map i've posted or take a look around google earth (quite high res at that area) and you'll see that the area between the mountains, where the chanel and the highway passes through - from k.a.f. to kandahar city - is begging for a fob. .

i just dont like to put a r/l fob somewhere at the completely wrong place, especially since kamp holland isn't even a fob. (the closest fob i could find so far is called 'fob rhino', located aprox 55 kms from kandahar, used by the usmc. )

anyways, just to clear things up here. nothing to really worry about yet, just collecting intel.
Old 2008-05-29, 21:31   #44
Stratolite

Quote:

Stratolite is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-30, 06:51   #45
Glimmerman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Hans Martin Slayer View Post
i was sitting about that map idea a bit more today (instead of preping for my final exam ) - so i got some questions about the quote to clarifiy things a bit.

i'd place kandahar airfield between bottom left and center. no need to move it to the left corner imho.
Correct

Quote:
you say: with some kandahar outskirts. you mean the airfield with kandahar outskirts close to it? doesn't make sence imo since kandahar city is a good way up to the north-west from the airfield. about 18kms according to google earth.
What i meant was indeed some out skirts close to it (gameplay)
Dont make the whole city but some outskirts, it doesnt have to have any weapon caches but perhaps a mayor road leading north can run through it or along the Edge of it.

Quote:
so like i said, kandahar outskirts would be on the top-left corner, far away from the airfield.
My idea suggestion is to place it in the middle left edge of the map.

[QUOTE]for the fob: the map definately needs a fob close to the center, maybe slightly a bit to the south/west of the center, with the ability for helos to land there. but kamp holland is in uruzgan province (i dont have to tell you that anyways ) - so i think an 'imaginary fob' would be in order there.[QUOTE]

I suggest in this map we combine Kandahar and Uruzgan, the edge of Kandahar province has the airfield with some outskirts and then Uruzgan Prinice starts for the rest of the map, id really like for Kamp Holland FOB to be more or less in the centre, i am judging on your mapping skills so change what ever you deem neccecery.

[QUOTE]just look at the map i've posted or take a look around google earth (quite high res at that area) and you'll see that the area between the mountains, where the chanel and the highway passes through - from k.a.f. to kandahar city - is begging for a fob. .[QUOTE]

Quote:
i just dont like to put a r/l fob somewhere at the completely wrong place, especially since kamp holland isn't even a fob. (the closest fob i could find so far is called 'fob rhino', located aprox 55 kms from kandahar, used by the usmc. )

anyways, just to clear things up here. nothing to really worry about yet, just collecting intel.
It doesnt have to be geographicly acurate, its a game

Here is my raw sketch of what i made up:

Red lines are mayor roads and the blue line is the Helmand river, green is valley green areas and yellow is desert. the rest is mountains hills etc, things like caves and small sand paths, mountain passes, placement of spawn etc. i leave to you.

What do you think?

Last edited by [R-DEV]Glimmerman; 2008-05-30 at 09:38..
Old 2008-05-30, 10:41   #46
Hans Martin Slayer
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

ok thanks! it's quite another concept then mine so far, my biggest problem with your concept is kandahar beeing too close to the airport.

but i think about it and come back to you as soon as i worked something out..
Old 2008-05-30, 11:12   #47
Glimmerman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Well perhaps kandahar can be moved to the middle left i dont mind that but what do you think of the rest?

Glimmerman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-31, 15:10   #48
MaxBooZe

I think you´ve got the skillz for drawing..
MaxBooZe is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-31, 16:32   #49
ice_killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratolite View Post

those are perfect m8
ice_killer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-31, 16:38   #50
black-wolf

Can you give us some WIP screens of the statics?
black-wolf is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
4km, big, map, poxo is ghey, uruzgan, wip