project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2008-06-22, 14:26   #41
Angry_M0b=US=
Default Re: Modern use of minefields

This is a cumulation of peoples ideas and what i think it should be like. sorry if i dont mention your names.

The minefiled is an asset REQUESTED by the commander, he marks on the map where he wants it, when this is done an engineer can get in the mine laying truck, drive it over to the area and drop mines out fo the back, the truck should go slowly to make it realistic, and only a limited number of mines can be dropped, making the minefiled not overpowered. The mines can only be deployed in a certain radius of the the commanders request which should be on the map (maybe a smoke grenade symbol like BF Vanilla as well). If the truck goes outside this area then it cant deploy the mines, meaning the driver cant just do driving around the map placing mines where he pleases and his team mates running over them.

I surgest the size of the area mines are alowed to be deployed in and the number of mines in the are depend upon the map, maybe the number of tickets as well? to represent their resource level at the time?

the right click could be to deploy the mines, and the left click to deploy the markers for the minefield. The markes should be deployed before so he knows where he needs to deploy the mines, say 2 or 3 markers must be deployed before the mines are alowed to be deployed, which ensures the fields are marked .The number of markers would be unlimited but the mines would be, making for some dummy fields, also the markers can only be deployed in the alowed area.

The mines would have to be activated by using the wrench, meaning the mines could all be dropped as the truck goes up and down the minefield, then gets out of it, then the Engineers activate the mines, they could possibly bury the mines afterwards with the shovel. The time to bury them and activate would eb fairly long, making it worth its while, as it is a valuable asset, and needs forwards planning so the mining team can be deffended.

This would allow for the miners to chose the proportions of activated mines to dummies, which could be requested by the commander. The minefiled asset would take x amount of time to recharge acording to the map.

Alternativly the commander could have 3 types of minefilds:
Full - Consists of all live mines, no dummies which again have to be set up by the same process, but are all active when wrenched
Parcial - Consists of some dummy mines and some live mines so some dont need wrenching, again the same process, but faster.
Dummy - Consists of just dummy mines, again deployed in the same way, can be set up as just markers, so the enemy think you have buried all the mines, or some dummy mines scatered on the top.

I think this would be the most realistic way of making the minefields for are denial use. The only think that would be needed to be added is a truck with some mines in the back.
Angry_M0b=US= is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 06:21   #42
Lynx

I like the idea that a commander would approve the for placement of a minefield but this should be scalable from kashan to ejod, both maps would be great places to deploy terrain denial minefields HOWEVER the scale of the map and the bumpy terrains are something to consider. mine deployment should use different vehicles for different scales of deployment.

for example, ejod would have a shielder type of mine spreader for medium dispersion.
and kashan would have the things like the gator air deployment system, which is basicly a jet spreading anti-tank mines over a large area. which is what kashan needs to make it harder to make amour flanking attacks

I say that there should be markers(maybe), but make them small and spaced far apart so anyone so that any hard charger gets what he deserves if he isn't vigilant
Lynx is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 01:23   #43
foxxravin

i like this idea very much!
foxxravin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 11:51   #44
Tte.oteo

Good suggestion, i read the thread and i belive there are many good ideas, some kits like a engineer need to be checked in PR, only a little bit....
In my opinion the new equipment that you want for this kit its perfect, mainfields, barret 0,50 cal... etc etc but after this change i would put him other name, this is not a engineer its a sapper... many armies have a Special Units Of Sappers, they are like the green berets but with other work behind the enemy lines.

really good suggestion...i hope will see on the frontlines. Regards to all
Tte.oteo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 11:55   #45
Tartantyco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tte.oteo View Post
Good suggestion, i read the thread and i belive there are many good ideas, some kits like a engineer need to be checked in PR, only a little bit....
In my opinion the new equipment that you want for this kit its perfect, mainfields, barret 0,50 cal... etc etc but after this change i would put him other name, this is not a engineer its a sapper... many armies have a Special Units Of Sappers, they are like the green berets but with other work behind the enemy lines.

really good suggestion...i hope will see on the frontlines. Regards to all
-Sapper and Engineer are interchangable, the specific designation depends on the army in question. Engineer is the correct name.
Tartantyco is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 17:43   #46
Psyko

i must have missed this thread. Its a great idea. but in order for me to understand it's feasability i need to know more about minefields from people who have first hand experiance with them.

How big are minefields in relation to battlefields, give an example of how big they could be in PR. i imagine they can go from several meters to hundreds of kilometers, such as korea.

Is it better to have deployable clusters of mines?...

Is it better to somehow place markers and triangulate an area, within such an area people and armour are blow up randomly.

I dont really know weather the second option is possible in BF2 engine. as the weapon system has shown to require rojectiles only. (EG: knifes are a one meter range projectile thats invilible and dropps to the floor) the other problem with the second suggestion is, how do you clear such an area.

Current problems with mines:
You can see their exact position. This is only good for friendly vehicles. they stick out from the rest of the terrain.
You can only deploy up to 8 per person. Its not effective in the round timelimit. and they become obsolete and nearly lose their initial purpose when the engineer that places them dies, becuase they dissapear after a few minutes.

What could be done to upgrade the mines?
the diamond idea? that still borderlines on placing them inividually, but its extremely effective with denying access to narrow corridors/passageways/streets/avenues.
The visability: get rid of the visability and have tape up instead(for everyone) Or keep the visability, and have an irritating piece of vanilla still there
The explosions. Are they realistic? are they great enough? do they give off a scary realistic sound or empression? The current ones serve their purpose, no doubt about it. but in PR the infantry have been slowed doen successfully imo. what about vehicles? are they slow enough?

just being devils advocate to get my ideas out
Psyko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 18:07   #47
Waaah_Wah
Banned

Did DEVs say anything about the deployable minefield idea?
Waaah_Wah is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-26, 18:49   #48
AnRK
Supporting Member

I think I read w hile back that minefield aren't doable, but I could very well be wrong.
AnRK is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 17:57   #49
AREM117

Personnally I think that the mines in PR are set up unrealisticly. And when you get a minefield set up you have to stay alive for in to do any good. And mines are currently used in a more offensive manor than defensive i.e. dropping mines under enemy vehicles. They are either used as a replacemant for C4 or a booby trap. Not often do I see players setting up minefields in the first place.
Last edited by AREM117; 2008-10-27 at 20:45..
Old 2008-10-27, 20:47   #50
AREM117

Mines should be in a field setup and they should be a deployable asset. But the problem is how to do it realisticly. I think that it should work as follows.

The Squad Leader brings a command truck to the position where they would like to lay the mines. He drops 2 supply crates and requests a Minefield Order from the commander.The commander accepts the rerquest and a marker appears on the map. The Squad leader has a 100,200, or 400m radius in which to request mines depending on the map. Also the limit of 10 20 or 40 mines depending on map. In this radius FOPs connot be built until the Minefield is removed. Minefields can only be built while a commander is present.

The way a minefield is set up is while a squad leader is in a Minefield radius his button changes from Build FOP to Lay Undeployed Mine. After a mine has been layed an Engineer must use his wrench by right clicking to set it up ,5-10 seconds, when a mine is deployed it may be burried by only an Enginner's Shovel which would take 30 seconds. Un-wrenched mines may be left alone or burried as dummies.

To remove a Minefield the commander must right click the mine marker on his command map and click the Remove Button after he clicks this a minefield cannot be set in the Minefield Radius for 20 minutes(simulating removal time).

This setup would remove the mine from the engineer leaving the slot open for a grappling hook or explosives.

EDIT: If a deployable mine is not doable give the Squad Leader a mine on his 9th Slot that has the limit based on the map and fits into my suggestion. For this you would have to replace Green Smoke with Faction Smoke.
Plese feel free to comment on this suggestion.
Last edited by AREM117; 2008-10-27 at 20:53..

Tags
minefields, modern