project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Mapping
22 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2009-06-11, 13:17   #41
H.sta
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Map] Northern Afghanistan (WIP name)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhkhoa View Post
Lord of the Rings reference there?
The middle earth is from Norse mytology... not made up for use in the lord of the rings.

H.sta is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 13:41   #42
stiankir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicca View Post

Clashing Trolls
The arabic Troll
Middle earth
Ragnarok
The battle of Ull
The Desert Troll
What about "Operation Ragnarok"?
If not, I think you should choose another name related to Norway. Perhaps name the map after a known Norwegian military operation in Afghanistan?
---

Ragnarok has something to do with old Norwegian culture, and has the topic already sorted out; namely war.
Ragnarok is considered to be the ultimate clash between the Norse gods and the jötunns.
Info about Ragnarok:
Ragnarök - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
stiankir is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 15:18   #43
Wicca
Supporting Member

I know, i was reading through the Wikipedia aswell when i named it that. Ull is the god of Hunting and such.

What about those vikings who was figthing down in arabia? Cause the rest of europe didnt want to trade with them, they had to travel to the medetereanen, and trade there or something.

But i just think Northern Afghanistan is wrong. And well, if noone comes up with something pretty soon, im going to be sad.

Some more Suggestions:

Desert Mountains

My wife suggest.... Blø.. She isnt very into this...

Erm..

Mountain something... There are alot of mountains here... And its a hostile terrain, sauvage..

Savage Mountains?

Norwegian 2nd battalion

Norwegian Telemarks battalion.

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 18:23   #44
Zimmer
Supporting Member

Op. Ragnarock seems pretty epic.

People don't realize that autism doesn't mean they're "stupid". Just socially inept. Like rhino... > > or in a worst case scenario... Wicca. =)- Lithium fox
I found this sentence quite funny and since this is a war game forum I will put it here. No offense to the french just a good laugh.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. All you do is leave behind a lot of noisy baggage."
Zimmer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 20:28   #45
Rangu

nevemind this post, keep ut the good work
Last edited by Rangu; 2009-06-11 at 20:37..
Old 2009-06-11, 22:15   #46
Wicca
Supporting Member

Op. Ragnarok... hmmm... Interesting, although... It doesnt sound very deserty? But if no other suggestion is put forth, im going to have to go with that.

Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 00:07   #47
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Name wise, something that wasn't "Operation:" would be nice. We have plenty of those.

Something like "Savage Ground" would do, if you didn't want to refer to the actual geographical location.

However most maps in PR now have a name related to their actual area or place. Kunduz Province is in the north of Afghanistan, very rich in agriculture and was the last major city held by the Taliban before the regime was toppled from power.

Wikipedia claims the area was nicknamed the "Hive of the country" because of the agri output.

Which lends two suggestions:

1) Name: "Northern Fields"
2) Content: Put a lot of agriculture into the areas around those villages.

Some references:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...0px-Kunduz.JPG
http://www.chess-theory.com/images1/...l_reporter.jpg
http://www.defencetalk.com/pictures/...38360510ii.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_vSQCt3ix6e...+Mazar+001.jpg
http://www.throughthislens.com/image...nduzvalley.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_vSQCt3ix6e...azar%2B076.jpg

I'm also going to agree with Marco - you've got a lot of work yet to do; from those screenshots vast tracts of that land appears to be identically-textured sand. You don't appear to have any "atmospheric"-type statics in your villages, they're just plain houses.

Take a look at some exisiting maps in PR, closely. Not just from a player's point of view but from a mapping one. Pay close attention to things like roads and houses - the way that textures at the edges of them are blended with the terrain around, for example.

You have 16 square klicks to deal with. Each of those square kilometres should be lovingly crafted rather than assembled quickly. It took Rhino months to build Qinling, remember!

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." - Washington Post
Masaq is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 00:29   #48
crazy11
Retired PR Developer

Wicca mapping

Good luck mate.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.- Wayne Gretzky
crazy11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 11:07   #49
Wicca
Supporting Member

Yeah im far from completion, im not saying im getting close to it, honestly im just taking it nice and easy.

I like the second to the bottom pic, but im abit unsure if i want water on my map, one of my goals, is to make the map work quite well on your PC, not lag. But the map isnt really situated in Northern Afghanistan, more like, to the borders of Turkmenistan. But yeah i like your suggestions for mapping.

Right now im working on the road network, basic stuff, then i will add a more interesting Feeling to the road, with ditches along side it, small hills etc.

Im going to say this one last time.

This is how ive done my mapping so far. And stop saying that i think im close to being finished.

1st, i paint everything in one colour (Which was a mistake according to spyker)
2nd, i made all the valleys and hills etc.
3rd, i made terrain details, ditches small hills etc all over the map.
4th, i started placing the flags and mains
5th, i made all the rough parts of the villages
6th, i changed the villages to look more natural, and to finish the LAYOUT! not the detail
7th, im working on roads right now. Which ive done rough, do some more and then start to detail it.

After this, i think i will start to work on the mains, and finish them, so that will be 8th.
9th will be the putting houses and small stuff all over the map, making it look a bit more, like "earth"
then i will start with putting trees, and shrubberies on the map
Then the i will finish the villages.

Then after that there is tons of work left, which i just dont want to think about, the Norwegian Faction probably wont be released until 0.95 so im not saying this map is closed to completion, if anyone has thought or felt that i have said that then im sorry, but making me feel like im so much farther away from my goal, makes me feel like shit, and really almost makes me give up. Of course i wont, and i know mapping takes time. Im more of a in the moment guy when it comes to mapping, i think from big to small, therefor when im working with my map, its easier to do everything rough first.

So please, if anyone tells me one more time, that this map is far from completion, thinking that i dont know it, i will get really pissed off..

MINI UPDATE:

I am coming quite close to being able to test it. Im really glad to have come this far

Last edited by Wicca; 2009-06-12 at 21:07..
Old 2009-06-12, 21:28   #50
UKrealplayER666

I has a good name... Raveing Retards! lol no im jokeing... or am i

No i found a nice place in the middle of affganistan that would suit this map the other day (was gathering intel for me spec ops buddy ) but i cant sodding remember the name... will get back to you when i find it again...
UKrealplayER666 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
4km, afghanistan, karez, map, northern, offensive, wip