project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2013-01-13, 04:23   #51
Spec
Retired Moderator
Supporting Member

Default Re: Room Clearing

Everyone here appears to think that slicing the pie is some sort of slow-motion activity. You could simply call it "look around and don't stare 12 o'clock when you enter the room", and there wouldn't be an argument. It is a fluid motion and I assume that everyone who clears a room does it. Everyone who enters a room does it, unless they know it is clear. It's not done 5 minutes before entering. It is done while you go through the doorway. Hard to even make out that it is a distinct activity. Of course it works. It simply means using the doorway as cover while looking into the room. A target running into a room is just as easy for a camper to hit as a target who goes into the room slightly slower while looking around.

--- currently reduced activity ---
Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature!
Old 2013-01-13, 04:47   #52
Alfa

If I know there's a guy watching a door, and I have a general idea of where he is in the room, what I like to do sometimes is to scope in and start firing just before I enter, and then guide my bullets to the target. It helps to even the odds of you killing him first, because if the enemy is already scoped in on the door, he's usually going to kill you before you can scope in and fire. Realistically though you're always going to be at a disadvantage, there's nothing that can really change that, besides the skill difference between the opposing players.

This is of course if I absolutely have to clean the room, and I don't have a grenade. A lot of people forget sometimes that they have those handy dandy grenades
Alfa is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 18:34   #53
Stemplus

Granades are not the best friend of mine, because when I don't use them the enemy will sit in the room forever, but when I take my nade out he runs out of the room before I throw it. I know it's just a coincidence, but it's so common that I'll rather sit next to the door and wait hours for the enemy to get out.
Stemplus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 22:20   #54
Mikemonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]Spec View Post
Everyone here appears to think that slicing the pie is some sort of slow-motion activity. You could simply call it "look around and don't stare 12 o'clock when you enter the room", and there wouldn't be an argument. It is a fluid motion and I assume that everyone who clears a room does it. Everyone who enters a room does it, unless they know it is clear. It's not done 5 minutes before entering. It is done while you go through the doorway. Hard to even make out that it is a distinct activity. Of course it works. It simply means using the doorway as cover while looking into the room. A target running into a room is just as easy for a camper to hit as a target who goes into the room slightly slower while looking around.
Don't tell the tacticool people that!

Let's be honest, your best bet if clearing a room in PR against someone who's camping (which allegedly can't exist in PR) is to go full auto and just chainsaw him, or as mentioned start firing on full auto scoped in before you go around the edge of the door.

I would presume in that situation in 'real life' you could get a mate to cover you and fire through the 100mm blockwork that divided you both (or throw a nade to badly shake the guy), but in PR you don't have that option as the walls don't disintegrate in a cloud of dust and mortar/brick fragments.
Mikemonster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 19:48   #55
redman0123

Yeah pretty much every time your spidey sense tingles about a corner/bldg you should go through a small mental checklist:

1) Reload if possible

2) with your rifle out but hipped take a "quick peak" or two at deeper and deeper angles around the corner/door.

3) If you got shot at from close get back and throw grenades or smoke shells be creative. If you get shot its easier for the medic to revive with you out of the room/corner

4) Yourself and nearby squad mates rush in at the same time and spread out while shooting

Full auto hip shooting doesn't have much use past 10m or so, besides suppresive fire which can save your butt.
redman0123 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 07:38   #56
Onil
PR Tournament Management

Most of these replies are all the same and some are quite ridiculous.

- Slice the Pie - Most people think this is a slow scoped in movement and they would be wrong and would die most of the times they attempt it. Taking a quick peak of the interior helps you to visualize the room, reduce vulnerable angles and sometimes even spot the enemy. This is done quite fast and can be quite effective, without getting shot in the process. If you haven't noticed anything, you immediately make the breach... it doesn't even take a second to do this. If you do spot something you either breach while spraying the target area or you use a nade if you're any good at basketball

- Throwing a Grenade - Are you gonna do this for every single room you encounter? Not unless you know there is enemy inside... and to know that you either need to get a visual or sound spot. After that, sure you can throw a grenade but 90% of the community will probably miss the window anyway... or if they do get it in, it will most likely only suppress the enemy since getting the grenade to fall right next to the enemy requires skill.

- Run and Gun - The lamest of the players will probably run and prone-dive while spraying like crazy. Players with more fair play will enter and spray a target location without abusing lame game mechanics. If you know or can predict where the target is, start to shoot before you get a visual as to regain advantage.

Once in, do stick to the walls/corners! It limits your vulnerable angles and allows you to use crossfire without team-killing your mates.

I find it funny how people make fun of each-others more/less developed "tactics". Just because you "slice the pie" doesn't mean you're a strict milsim type of player and follow every single real tactic to the letter and just because you don't follow tactical guides doesn't mean you don't use some techniques that are probably in them. The best approach is always adaptability between the two options... some real life stuff works in PR, others don't and it is up to you to determine which are useful and adapt them if needed be.
Onil is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 07:52   #57
007.SirBond

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]Spec View Post
Slicing the pie is taking the corner as much as you can handle. Depending on circumstances and knowledge of what you are pieing, this is done either fast or slow. If you have knowledge on the room you are about to enter, you can pie it fast because you can acquire targets quick, matter of fact, the more you train, the easier it becomes to acquire targets when slicing the pie. The stances the enemy takes in BF2 makes target acquisition very easy compared to real life.

Sometimes it is beneficial to slice the pie slowly and sometimes it is in your benefit to do it fast. If I'm pieing a corner that is a very large room or a large space with a ton of crap that can be targets when I'm using weapons that have no help in identification. I would slice slower than I would compared to a small office room while applying recon by fire during recent contact.

After technique and precision, faster is better.
Last edited by 007.SirBond; 2013-07-06 at 17:45..
Old 2013-07-12, 18:57   #58
[FSA]IrRahman

FSA Close Quarters Combat Training:

LiveLeak.com - TRANSLATED: FSA Close Quarters Combat Training
[FSA]IrRahman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-12, 21:46   #59
Tarranauha200

Quote:
Originally Posted by [FSA]IrRahman View Post
Looks like one of them arab merceneries cause he actually knows something about combat.

Running, gunning and shouting allahu akbar does the job for most of them lol.
Tarranauha200 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-12, 22:31   #60
Spec
Retired Moderator
Supporting Member

No politics.

It's actually some relatively good advice in that video, no matter who these are. Doesn't translate that well into PR though, things like weapon collision isn't an issue here, and our default movement pace in PR makes some of these things harder than they are IRL.

Excellent point about the sectors, though. As in, when entering a room, not all focussing on the first guy they see.

--- currently reduced activity ---
Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature!

Tags
clearing, room