project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Suggestions Archives
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2007-02-16, 00:24   #51
Clypp

Quote:
Originally Posted by $kelet0r

don't you know that the main reason for rally points was to prevent spawning on top of control points and all the negative gameplay associated with that
The negative gameplay was spawn killing and difficulty taking CPs where the entire team kept spawning back in. Even then the negitive aspects of this were negligible. If a rally point is destroyable then this can be stopped by the attackers quite quickly. It is your CP, you should get some kind of defensive bonus and allowing spawn points in the area sounds like an excellent bonus. What kind of army does not station troops in their bases?
Old 2007-02-16, 03:08   #52
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

While you guys did a great job with rally spots, I have to give my two cent.

Games are getting much and much harder (not better) to fight, because one second your along and then 4-6 enemy warp in. I love the idea of getting rid of "spawn at the flag". But its way to easy to hide a rally points.

Here is my idea:

1. No spawn points, only at the main bases. (like it is now)
2. You can still spawn on your squad leader. (Because there should be a trooper in the area at least to spawn)
3. APC and the like are still mobile spawn point.
4. Allow troop choppers to be spawn points as well.

And thats it! THIS will enforce team play! "I have to go all the way back unless I save the Team leader?...Oh crap here I come to help"
Old 2007-02-16, 03:30   #53
Clypp

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderedfox
While you guys did a great job with rally spots, I have to give my two cent.

Games are getting much and much harder (not better) to fight, because one second your along and then 4-6 enemy warp in. I love the idea of getting rid of "spawn at the flag". But its way to easy to hide a rally points.

Here is my idea:

1. No spawn points, only at the main bases. (like it is now)
2. You can still spawn on your squad leader. (Because there should be a trooper in the area at least to spawn)
3. APC and the like are still mobile spawn point.
4. Allow troop choppers to be spawn points as well.

And thats it! THIS will enforce team play! "I have to go all the way back unless I save the Team leader?...Oh crap here I come to help"
I disagree 5000%.

Chopper spawn is not required because choppers can just go to base, pick you up and deploy you. That is much more exciting.

Rally points are very important. I would much rather lose the SL spawn than the rally point spawn. Rally points enable SLs to be effective fights who can be on the front line with the troops rather than hiding in a corner somewhere. SL revival is still important but headshots and unsafe revives often make this impossible.

Troops coming out of nowhere from a rally point is the same as troops coming from a SL. Rally points are not hard to find (except when glitched into buildings) and can be destroyed (hopefully with a knife soon). Rally points, unlike SLs, cannot defend themselves and thus are easier to eliminate.
Old 2007-02-16, 03:48   #54
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I think rallypoints are fine the way they are, they just need to be easier to destroy.

If you decrease the range from enemy/friendly CPs, you get the same thing happening from 0.4. Enemy keeps respawning next to a flag. This sucks.

On smaller maps with close flags, you dont need a rallypoint as much because the fighting is so close anyways.

In 0.6, there will be ANOTHER method of setting up a spawn point close to the flag, that will involve the commander. This will help with flag defense.

Rallypoint is to simulate dropping your third line gear in a safe spot, out of harms way, preparing for combat. It is NOT supposed to be NEAR combat.

What you guys propose is to make it more spammy. Not a good call I think.

Use the rallypoint as a regrouping point, not as a point to get closer to the action.
Old 2007-02-16, 04:32   #55
Desertfox

Rally points should be hidden, but hiding them only makes them more prone to campers. Everyone just camps the points so you cant destroy them unless you want 2+ teamkills from the people who are camping them. Its a backpack last I checked I could take a knife and rip a backpack up. Just give us something that wont make a big explosion and teamkill friendlys.

& This thread has gone so horribly off topic...
Old 2007-02-16, 08:54   #56
eggman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I don't think the thread is off topic lol .. it's about rally points still

RP distances are fine. They were never intended to be used defensively. As Fuzz implies, and we have said for a while .. there's another major element coming in v0.6. Once we have that in place we'll be able to take a more holistic look at how our new systems are working. Ya just gotta bear with it while we work on the next piece.

The issues with rally point collisions and being able to hid them are a problem right now. Not fixable until v0.6 I think, but we'll take a look at what we can do for the v0.5 server patch. Also mapper set rally points suck shite. We'll rejig those in v0.6 as well.

Cheers!
egg

Old 2007-02-16, 23:01   #57
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clypp
Chopper spawn is not required because choppers can just go to base, pick you up and deploy you. That is much more exciting.
Ok I can agree with that, your right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clypp
Rally points are very important. I would much rather lose the SL spawn than the rally point spawn. Rally points enable SLs to be effective fights who can be on the front line with the troops rather than hiding in a corner somewhere. SL revival is still important but headshots and unsafe revives often make this impossible.
I disagree, the squad leader shouldnt be in the firefight with the troops. He/she should be leading the troops and directing where they go.

Quote:
Troops coming out of nowhere from a rally point is the same as troops coming from a SL. Rally points are not hard to find (except when glitched into buildings) and can be destroyed (hopefully with a knife soon). Rally points, unlike SLs, cannot defend themselves and thus are easier to eliminate.
Troops coming from backpack is not the same as from a squad leader. A squad leader is not a doorway that troops come from. Hes a mobile leader that makes more sense that troops would be spawning from him.

For example playing on Ejod last night. Here are two backpacks sitting out in the desert and guys keep spawning in and running for cover. IT doesnt make sense. Now I can see if it was a Car or Hummve.

I guess the only way to really do it like reality would be no spawns, only at main base.

A quick thought as well..........
Expecting your teammates help when your a squad leader, before the rally points were introduced the squad leader was a very important role (ie forward spawn point), But with the addition of RP keeping the squad leader alive is no long important or necessary (besides setting up another RP).
Last edited by CodeRedFox; 2007-02-17 at 09:08..
Old 2007-02-17, 09:30   #58
jedermann

RPs sometimes change the gameplay back to vanilla. Imagine being on US side and your team managed to get city and gardens after a nice tough fight and going for north desert now. 2 enemy SLs sneaked behind you across the hills in the west maybe with a humvee and place two rally points in the city. They easily cap all the way to Ruins without a single shot, maybe even Gas Station because of the lack of defense.
Last edited by jedermann; 2007-02-25 at 08:53..

Tags
points, rally