project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2018-09-15, 12:14   #51
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Project Reality is killing itself. From a fellow asset whore point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASquatch View Post
Also, the main reason I quit this game: The game stopped working on my computer (and many other people's computers) after the 1.5 update and the Devs refuse to undo the things that caused those problems (whatever core game change made from 1.4 to 1.5)
I've not heard of this (although it's not my area of expertise but would have thought I would have heard something), got a link to a thread?

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-15, 12:57   #52
SASquatch
Default Re: Project Reality is killing itself. From a fellow asset whore point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
I've not heard of this (although it's not my area of expertise but would have thought I would have heard something), got a link to a thread?
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=146994

That's my thread, but there are others. 1.4 worked perfectly. Updated to 1.5 and got nothing but crashes
SASquatch is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-15, 15:42   #53
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Only skimmed through the topic but can't see anything in there that suggests it is a problem with the core mod and not just a client issue? I also can't think of any significant changes between v1.4 and v1.5 that would cause this? The basic core code of the mod is exactly the same with only really new assets added to the mod etc?

Have you tried running v1.4 on the same build of windows etc you have right now that can't run v1.5 to confirm that v1.4 actually does still work on it?

Again this isn't my area so other than doing a full re-install of windows I can't really offer up any solutions but that is mainly because from what I can tell, no one has identified the actual issue either. Sure we could spend hrs upon hrs trying to revert back to v1.4 code, but without the coder themselves having the issue and also even confirming v1.4 works fine, this is pretty impractical to do as it would mean sending each revert back to one of you guys to test etc.

Old 2018-09-15, 20:09   #54
doop-de-doo
Supporting Member

This reeks of "make your own server".

B4TM4N
doop-de-doo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-19, 05:38   #55
Graysun
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doop-de-doo View Post
This reeks of "make your own server".
Making a new server for this game is a terrible idea, NA can't even get ONE full server on weekdays, and its a community problem no server problem.
Graysun is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-19, 05:39   #56
Graysun
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
Yes my good friend has been unable to run PR since he got a new computer as well, it just blue screens his PC after a few minutes on a new gaming rig.
Graysun is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-19, 13:23   #57
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Graysun I thought you weren't replying to this topic because of deleted posts, if you are then it might be worth replying to my reply of you...

And also that sounds again like a problem with your friends' system more than the game, either some bit of hardware or driver or the OS itself is causing it to BSOD when playing the game, not the game itself.
I love how people think just because their computer isn't working it is somehow the games fault and not the fault of whoever made the hardware, drivers or possibly the fault of whoever installed them.....

Old 2018-09-19, 16:30   #58
Brotherscompany

Adding factions and diferente factions to diferente maps wont dont much honestly.

We have AAS with MEC vs Canada in Kashan Desert which is so freaking boring for INF but yet we never do that layer just to change a bit the air
Brotherscompany is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-21, 16:44   #59
DogACTUAL

While i love this game and the work the DEVs do, i agree with certain points graysun layed out, especially with there being a kind of 'clique' that is tight with some certain DEVs having a significant influence (you know who you are). And while i don't hold any animosity towards most of them and think they are great players and people, i think this dynamic, while having some good effects on development, also is problematic in some aspects as group think arises.

I completely agree with the tester team having a strong gatekeeping presence, with the criteria for tester selection going beyond what Rhino said about security concerns and people actually having the tester mindset.

I and others applied for testing after repeatedly seeing pleas by the DEVs that they are in great need for more testers, only to never hear back or be denied. Speaking for myself i did a lot of tedious testing in my free time by myself with the help of others, discovering many exploits, glitches and bugs by myself, sometimes even being the first to do so to my knowledge.

For example i discovered just one day after the new flight model was introduced how to take off of the short side of the amphibious assault ship with the harrier right from where it spawns, only by literally trying all kinds of key and input combinations in all kind of scenarios to see what is possible. The same way i also discovered how to hover in normal jets and the controls needed to keep them in a stable upright position without them tipping over while hovering, being able to prolong that state indefinitely.

Also discovered several exploits in the AA system and how to survive AA missiles in a jet by letting them hit the jet from a frontal angle. And various other bugs and glitches.

So i am no stranger to tedious, repeated testing of certain actions/scenarios and variations thereof. And some of my aquaintances who applied i think i can say the same of.

Yet our applications where just thrown straight into the trash can by the looks of it. I hope you see how that can make some people develop bitter and salty attitudes, after they repeatedly see DEVs pleading for tester applications, yet people being turned down once they apply. To not even give us a chance or at least a probation period, afterall if you see something you don't like you could remove us from the team swiftly anway. So why not even give people a chance?

Anyway, speaking for myself because of this and other circumstances i am not really interested in becoming a tester anymore, the only reason i applied in the first place was because dfoot suggested it to me as a method to help the development and me not being a stranger to drawn out 'boring and tedious' testing sessions.

But i think there are still many others i know who would happily help you out testing stuff if given the chance.
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-21, 17:58   #60
[R-CON]​Frontliner
PR:BF2 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
While i love this game and the work the DEVs do, i agree with certain points graysun layed out, especially with there being a kind of 'clique' that is tight with some certain DEVs having a significant influence (you know who you are).
I wanted to say my perspective regarding that when Graysun brought it up last time but FFG nudged me out of it. But since a certain group of people(you know who you are) repeatedly state things that are not true - and even if they were, you wouldn't know either how - in order to besmirch our names, I feel that at one point it's been enough. I can firmly say that if either FFG or myself had our way regarding this game, the game would not be as it is, Period. Mats, who is Lead Coder, and I sit in the same TS almost every day, yet the only major contribution that I managed to see through is not even in the game currently, and it took a forum post with more than 10,000 words, 2 reminders and 2 longer talks with the Dev responsible(it's not Mats) in order to make the change happen. Does that sound remotely like I'm having an easy time getting even the most well-developed game change drafts implemented? Last time we interacted I told you that I didn't get my way with the new Chinese Machine Gun's damage model either, instead we found a mid-ground between the different perspectives together.

So, answer me, is this about the amount of influence you expected me to have?

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Frontliner is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
asset, fellow, killing, point, project, reality, view, whore