project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > PR Highlights > PR Dev Journal Archives > 2007
29 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-31, 02:41   #51
Teek
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-trooper View Post
Also, if the plane only has 30 flares on board, then why only have a short reload time of 30s? why not make it as long as a reload/landing-takeoff would take. That way people will watch out when they have used the flares and not just fly around in a corner of the map for 30 sec.
But if they fly around in the corner, they cant reload can they?
+ they may need the flares to make it back to base
+ what if you cant get a lock, use some of the flares, would you land IRL? or make another pass after 30s?
food for thought.

Old 2007-12-31, 03:05   #52
Sabre_tooth_tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrelson View Post
this will force pilots to release flares randomly in a hostile area which to me is realistic

Ive read the oppisite is actually true. I will try and get the link but a Merlin flying over Iraq automatically fires off flares without even asking pilot permission such is the danger they face from insurgents.

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/maysan.htm

Quote:
Larger aircraft usually fly a little higher, and rely more on countermeasures to foil missiles. Countermeasures can be seen activating from helicopters over Baghdad every single day. This is no secret: Millions of Iraqis must see the flares popping out of aircraft to foil surface-to-air missiles. Yet, the countermeasures often seem to pop for no apparent reason. No missile is tracking us. Pilots say that the sensors still can be foiled by a glint off the water, or a refinery gas fire, for instance.

Old 2007-12-31, 03:17   #53
Z-trooper
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teek View Post
But if they fly around in the corner, they cant reload can they?
+ they may need the flares to make it back to base
+ what if you cant get a lock, use some of the flares, would you land IRL? or make another pass after 30s?
food for thought.
well the advisor said that the plane only carries 30 (if I didnt missunderstood that) so if you run out of the 30, then you should have 0, and not 30 after 30s again. you play with the toys you have. so if you waste the 30 and need some for the way back, then you wasted too many. though luck I'd say

"Without geometry, life is pointless"
Old 2007-12-31, 03:27   #54
Nickbond592
Retired PR Developer

Should make Flying a lot more tactical now

Smeg: Fuzz commands a lot and promotes good teamwork, db flips vehicles, Bosco is an all-round nub, Outlawz is an SP whore, Nickbond is a friggin ninja and Rhino gets kicked for being a n00b.
Old 2007-12-31, 04:08   #55
El_Vikingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre_tooth_tigger View Post
Ive read the oppisite is actually true. I will try and get the link but a Merlin flying over Iraq automatically fires off flares without even asking pilot permission such is the danger they face from insurgents.

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/maysan.htm

Would you take the risk of not deploying flares?
Old 2007-12-31, 04:20   #56
Hotrod525

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Vikingo View Post
Would you take the risk of not deploying flares?
Its the Computer decision, not the pilot one.Flare are automaticly released.... (according to that ref)
Old 2007-12-31, 06:24   #57
Sabre_tooth_tigger

If you mean the article then I wasnt critising it. I'd be dam scared as a pilot in that area tbh, somehow I doubt he'd have much chance to do anything if it was fired on from nearby. I have zero combat or flight experience so really its just me referencing an article out of interest.

I thought helis/planes carry hundreds of flares, they arent bulky and what other defence do they have at all

In game, we shall see I guess. If theres 30 flares I would use them often whether they were needed or not.
I use flares all the time in game now, even on the chinese scout heli which cant be locked anyway, usually to try and confuse the enemy slightly.

I think tanks should flare when they smoke, I'm not sure if it'd help in 0.7
Old 2007-12-31, 07:48   #58
Spearhead
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-trooper View Post
Also, if the plane only has 30 flares on board, then why only have a short reload time of 30s? why not make it as long as a reload/landing-takeoff would take. That way people will watch out when they have used the flares and not just fly around in a corner of the map for 30 sec.
That was my original plan but we settled for 30 secs now. In my opinion 120s would be good. We'll see how it plays out and then make corrections accordingly.

Old 2007-12-31, 12:58   #59
Gunwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Spearhead View Post
That was my original plan but we settled for 30 secs now. In my opinion 120s would be good. We'll see how it plays out and then make corrections accordingly.
I hope this means that choppers like the Apache will do what they do in real life. IE stay a good 1200 yards out of the main battle zone, and then launch attacks from safty. IE in real life the only choppers you would see ever going into the thick of ground combat are AH-1Z Cobras (Made and built for USMC close air support), MI-24D Hinds (Troop transports/Gunships), and heavy lift choppers/troop transports like the Chinook, or the UH-1Y Huey (Letest model for the USMC). Even BlackHawks don't rush into the thick of combat because they are too big of a target for the enemy. IE the Movie BlackHawk down was made as a homage to the US Militaries major mistake of not useing the BlackHawk for the missions it was made for.

It was made for Night time, and used as a vary succsesfull inifltrating platform. But in the day it's a huge target that stands out in the sky unlike the newer, smaller, and now faster UH-1Y Huey the USMC use.
Old 2007-12-31, 17:38   #60
Sabre_tooth_tigger

Why is the cobra any better then the apache for cas, in the game its no different anyhow?
Closed Thread

Tags
flares, gameplay