project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:WWII General Discussion > PR:WWII Suggestions
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:WWII Suggestions Suggestions from our community members.

Old 2012-12-29, 18:12   #51
doggreen
Default Re: Smaller Omaha level?

GX ms paint in the post is a link where it shows where they are located all defeses German and what type of weapons that each possessed.

D-Day : Normandy 1944 - OMAHA BEACH : U.S. Troops

I like your idea, soon after the ground invasion of the beaches of normandy were modified to facilitate the access of equipment into and even the construction of the first runway for aircraft in French territory.

What do you think of sending e-mail to D-Day Museum and Imperial War Museum for another asked if they have photos of the land areas made ​​before the invasion of normandy? Why the Internet is not detailed material.

The only thing I found was this map that shows details of the types of beach and defense

Encyclop?dia Britannica's Guide to Normandy 1944

Enjoying the post

although we know only virtually, I wish everyone and their families a happy new year replete with a lot of peace, health and prosperity
doggreen is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-29, 23:26   #52
Rabbit

WN 71 I will add WN 72 after dinner

WN72

Last edited by Rabbit; 2012-12-30 at 01:02..
Old 2012-12-30, 01:58   #53
Pvt.LHeureux
-

I can translate all that if needed.
Pvt.LHeureux is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 02:04   #54
Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt.LHeureux View Post
I can translate all that if needed.
Rough translations are on the bottom, you are more than welcome to make sure they are correct though.
Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 04:18   #55
Rabbit

Old 2012-12-30, 04:38   #56
Pvt.LHeureux
-

Is the terrain THAT elevated?
Pvt.LHeureux is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 04:52   #57
Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt.LHeureux View Post
Is the terrain THAT elevated?
They are very large

Omaha Beach Bluffs | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

http://historythroughgaming.files.wo...draw-today.jpg
Old 2012-12-30, 10:48   #58
rodrigoma

have you tried using accurate heightmaps?
rodrigoma is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 11:24   #59
Kloppies

This is an awesome idea! It always bothered me that the depiction of omaha in games and movies are generally way off.

gx, if you are going to make that map, may I make a suggestion.

Looking at the area you selected, almost half of the beach is in front of the cliffs. West of the Vierville draw was Charlie sector where the Rangers landed, but I can't find any indication that they tried to scale the cliffs using ropes like at Pointe du Hoc.

There is path from the beach up the bluff in Dog white sector where General Norman Cota apparently ordered the men to go up (Cota's draw). There was less resistance and they made a breakthrough. It would be nice to include that part as another way up besides the D1 draw.

Gameplay wise I think that the NW corner of the map will be a bit of wasted space, since there will be no point of interest if sticking to a realistic layout.

Therefore I suggest including more of Dog sector to the east like so:

The red square is 2x2km. As you can see, you can still include a small part of the cliffs to the west and the defenses of WN72, as well as Cota's draw at the east.

I rotated the map a bit to NE, since it allows the allies to land at any part of the beach without having to approach at an angle.

What do you think?
Kloppies is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 15:02   #60
Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]rodrigoma View Post
have you tried using accurate heightmaps?
Yes. 2kx2k comes up as to pixelated.

Kloppies
Charlie was where most of the progress for d1 was made not to mention it would make flanking d1 slightly easier as it is not as heavily defended. Also not all of the beach will be open. Dog white was a much "easier" section if the beach and I can already tell if it was includes it would end up with 2 problems. The first being everyone would attack there as its not as defended. Destroying the purpose of the level. And second being a 2km beach is just to big for even 64the people assaulting up it.

Tags
level, omaha, smaller