project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Modelling & Animations
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Modelling & Animations Everything but Static Objects

Old 2014-01-23, 21:10   #51
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Vehicle] Land Rover Defender [WIP](FDF,GB)

To be frank your packing could be a lot better, as well as that being a lot of space for just the 3rd person interior? And while having both sides using an overlapping UV saves a lot of space, dose restrict what you can do with the texture a lot, as any text put on one side, would be backwards on the other for example, as well as any details like a big patch of rust or a camo pattern would be pretty obviously the same on the other side. Some things like the front look to be much larger than the rest of the body work and the underside should be downsized quite a bit as that will be pretty much only seen when someone flips the vehicle. I would also recommend where you can stitching the sides to the roof etc as it eliminate the seams as well as make it much easier for who ever textures it, but don't stitch if it means having to downsize the UV.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 11:16   #52
Kovanaama

Thanks for the advices Rhino. The model dont have camo. Its just green so the sides can be like that. But when this goes for GB forces, then we can just take the other side and move it somewhere else. But im just learning these UVW stuff so i might be wrong. Do you have some example UV sheet of a vehicle that has interior aswell in it? I tried to find something that gives the right direction where i should put pieces of the model and how big each piece should be.
Kovanaama is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 12:45   #53
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovanaama View Post
The model dont have camo. Its just green so the sides can be like that. But when this goes for GB forces, then we can just take the other side and move it somewhere else.
Even so, IMO your far better off flexibility wise to keep both sides separate on the UV since its they are both major parts of the vehicle and changing the UV (if it can be avoided) for another faction isn't a good idea tbh as it means twice as much texturing work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovanaama View Post
But im just learning these UVW stuff so i might be wrong. Do you have some example UV sheet of a vehicle that has interior aswell in it? I tried to find something that gives the right direction where i should put pieces of the model and how big each piece should be.
Best example off the top of my head is probably the Zhi-9 and Panther chopper series, although TBH I could do much better now with its UVs and its texture sheet setup but it was my first vehicle UV
For example I didn't need both the Zhi-9B (transport) and Zhi-9WA (attack) 1p textures on the same sheet, I really should have spilt them up into two different sheets and also should have had the 1p passenger area on its own 1p sheet, with its own "medium detail" instruments panel on it and if I did all that then the UVs would have had a much higher pixel ratio and I could have only had the pilots or passengers loaded what they needed to see in high detail instead of the pilots having to load a load of high detail textures for the seats behind them which they are quite far away from and hardly ever look back to see
The rear passenger area of the 3p is quite large since it can easily be seen into from the outside etc but the basic principle of the 3p using a flat instruments panel, with its diffuse, normal and spec baked from the 1p textures/model is the main thing to take in here.

3p:

1p:

Also the Panther CLV (Not to be confused with the Panther helicopter) also has done its 3p interior textures right, other than they look to be manually textured on rather than baked and the 3p model interior is a little miss matched and possibly a little high detail in places and I would have had the left side of the vehicle flipped upside down and stitched onto the roof like the right side is rather than under it, then put the rear down there etc which would have also worked better for the rear's texture bleed but a small detail:

3p:

1p:

Old 2014-01-27, 07:58   #54
Kovanaama

Thanks Rhino! This will help me very much!
Old 2014-03-03, 11:19   #55
Kovanaama

Hello everyone. I`ve been busy with IRL and tried to model this car when i have the time. Now the major problem with this car has been the straight up going sides. I have remade the whole walls and roof and back of the car again! huh.. i give some pics for you guys soon. I must check the car again and then we can move forward with this one.
Old 2014-03-26, 10:24   #56
Kovanaama

I tried to find a good tutorial for UV:ing the steering wheel but i didnt find any. Can someone give some advice or links? Thanks!
Old 2014-03-26, 10:34   #57
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Unwrapping Donuts! How? - Polycount Forum

Old 2014-03-26, 10:45   #58
Kovanaama

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Aah! you are my hero.
Old 2014-05-22, 22:13   #59
Amok@ndy
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

any news on this Kovanaama ?

Amok@ndy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-11, 05:38   #60
Yrkidding
PR Server License Moderator

Also, am I crazy or does it seem like its just a little too long somehow? Perhaps most notably in the wheelbase? Maybe I'm going crazy?

Yrkidding is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
defender, land, rover, vehicle, wipfdf