project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > PR Highlights > PR Dev Journal Archives > 2009
24 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-26, 11:56   #51
George
Default Re: [Weapon] M252 81mm Mortar

Does any one else think mortars will cause a tactical revolution?,

Rolling barrages anybody?
Imagine dropping mortar bombs on a flag for 1 minute while simultaneously an infantry squad advances, reaching the flag just as the mortars stop falling, with NO casualties!

Substantial Smoke Screening
Got a large expanse of cover and concealment free desert? No problem, if each smoke mortar bomb is equivalent to, in size at least 2 smoke 40mm grenade launcher shells, and we drop 4/5, that's alot of concealment!

2 Minor repeated before details but with a new Phenomenal result!

_FB deployable (not main base)
_Had a range of a 750m (cirlce of radius 750 around the mortar),

This would Force players defending a flag to employ more flexible defences, where they have to send out patrols in area around the flag, searching for enemy FBs and the mortars located close by.

Would this mean an End of camping forever?
Players would no longer be able to hold on to a flag by just sitting on it with a machine gun! Because unless they got off their asses and sent out some patrols they would soon have mortars bombs knocking on their door!

Think YOU could organize half of the players defending a flag to dig in while getting the other half to go on patrol?

So who else sees the new and exciting tactics mortars will bring to PR?
Old 2009-01-26, 13:07   #52
Hitman.2.5

Wa hey bout time IMO, you could use the way of aimimg the mortar on FH2 that worked pretty well, or you could just use the 100m, 150m, 200m...

Mayby a range of 1500m would be substantial? but thts me
Old 2009-01-26, 13:08   #53
Hitman.2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
[B]So who else sees the new and exciting tactics mortars will bring to PR?
Epic win?
Old 2009-01-26, 13:09   #54
Hitman.2.5

Would this also be mounted in the back of a stryker?
Old 2009-01-26, 16:57   #55
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
aimimg the mortar on FH2 that worked pretty well,
In order to be added to PR, the aiming system would have to be much more robust to the FH2 system, that system is completely unacceptable in a PR gameplay, sorry.
Old 2009-01-26, 17:32   #56
Tirak

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]fuzzhead View Post
In order to be added to PR, the aiming system would have to be much more robust to the FH2 system, that system is completely unacceptable in a PR gameplay, sorry.
Is it the right click to see target area thing? If so, that's not so much a problem, removing that would a realistic and teamwork building way of doing it. SL lases target, Mortar team receives Coords and fires their barrage, SL radios back effect on target, rinse and repeat the PR way Maybe also add a CO designate system as well.
Old 2009-01-26, 17:54   #57
M.Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]CodeRedFox View Post
Just realize this wont be a Desert Combat kinda mortar (i.e. shoot it at people in front of you). Were currently working on the who, what, and wheres of how this works. But we wont be spilling any beans for while. And because PR cant have 16k maps we will make a system that is fair yet rewarding (but not in a noob kinda way).
That takes me back... Although I never used the Mortars like that, I was much more intrested in the M270 MLRS and the M-109 Paladin. Artillery was one of my most favorite assets, even to the point that I enjoyed it much more than flying aircraft in that game.

Problem was that you always needed someone to spot targets with binoculars. The fact of needing a spotter wasn't the bad thing. It was just that the majority of the time the spotter was sighting targets that were too far away to see or the angle was bad.

... Of course, playing Omaha Beach and parking the Fletcher 2 all the way at the bottom of the map and lobbing shells towards the very top 2nd tier was a lot of fun. Everyone was like "ZOMG how's he getting those SHELLZ UP HEAR!11!one!!oneone!!11!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]fuzzhead View Post
I'm assuming that if memory serves me well, FH2 had made an offshoot of the BF1942/Desert Combat artillery perspective. Essentially elevating a camera above the spotter and it tracks incoming projectiles towards the target.

Was always fun to watch the effects. But I certainly can do without.

Of course, atleast this will give Combat Engineers something to do in the meantime. You won't always be in a position to deploy mines and there is significant down-time after building all the assets. It then comes down to vehicle repairs and twiddling your thumbs, which is fine by me. I'd certainly enjoy manning a Mortar to pass the time by.
Old 2009-01-26, 18:11   #58
xatu miller

Looks great!
Old 2009-01-26, 18:59   #59
markonymous

Looks awesome
Old 2009-01-26, 19:41   #60
Ainslie

Schweet.