project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Squad Leader Tactics
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

View Poll Results: What is your squad leading style?
Authoritarian 121 33.89%
Delegation 134 37.54%
Sheep 27 7.56%
Can't be arsed to put effort in 5 1.40%
I don't squad lead 49 13.73%
other (post below!) 21 5.88%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-10-21, 02:26   #51
Haji with a Handgun
Default Re: what's your squad leading style?

I usually run my squad like a semi-democracy. I don't shout orders, nor do I leave it up to my members to do their job without supervision. I usually tell my squad what were going to do, then ask them what they think and/or if they think an alternate route would be better.
When the fighting starts, then I start barking orders, but until then I leave it up to general consensus.
Haji with a Handgun is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 05:42   #52
Dirty-Lex

1. I will always place the mission 1st
2. I will never accept defeat
3. I will never quit
4. I will never surrender
5. I will never leave a fallen comrade.

These are foundations of leadership

now as far as being a squad leader is concerned:

1. Command and Control
2. Understand the capabilities of your squad, and know your buddies' limits.
3. Lead by example
4. Designate a Task, Purpose and Enstate:
5. Designate and utilize your key leaders
6. Always have the "Big picture" in mind.
7. Shoot move communicate
8. 2 levels up, 1 levels down
9. Ensure to complete the over all mission 1st,
10. THINK than ACT.

I am a LEADER, I will always have a plan, I will never be afraid to make a decision, when I make a decision I will stand by it. I am an expert and a professional, I will find a way to make it happen, adapt improvise and overcome, I will always execute my task with violence of action, without hesitation. I am responsible for the lives of the Soldiers subordinate to me and thus I will never be negligent in my duty to lead them. If challenged I will not falter, I will delegate my authority to my subordinate leaders and work as a team. when in contact I will out maneuver and destroy the enemy with extreme prejudice . Shoot! Move! Communicate!

that is a little ad-lib of squad leadership
Last edited by Dirty-Lex; 2010-10-28 at 05:48..
Old 2010-11-29, 02:31   #53
keatsy

Smile Re: what's your squad leading style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglomanii View Post
i role play, i say what kits i need in a squad, tell them what their role is, and i direct the basic course of action, how individuals perform their roles is up to them. if they dont perform they dont play in my squad.
yeah i follow same style it works for me but i also like to quickly move around but set up at least 1 fire base outside alot of zones were i believe will require help
keatsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 15:40   #54
goguapsy

A lot of my "tactics" involve bunching up and running somewhere. And staying damn close. Several times, if you strafe apart 5 feet when doing this (not all the time, but sometimes in enemy territory on insurgency as BLUFOR) will get you killed, will get us discovered and will ruin the entire cache raid.

So I get mad at people that strafe away. Oh, you got killed there? Well, now you gotta wait. I don't know why the hell did you go there, but now you are gonna have to wait 'til we do what we were gonna do before.

This is different from leaving someone behind. You get whoever was trying to accomplish your orders. You punish whoever is doing it wrong.
goguapsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 16:50   #55
Shovel
Supporting Member

I don't always squad lead, but my sqauad leaders have taken the sheep approach.

Shovel009
Shovel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-08, 16:02   #56
Tequnique

I am trying to use all methods of leading in its rightful time...

Being an authority is important to makes things clear, to build squad discipline, focus and too keep cohesion and coordination..
If the leader is too relaxed in your style of leading - its like a 4-headed tiger hunting a herd of antelopes - all with different opinions on what is the best target...

What you want is a squad - where each unit is like the limbs of the tiger... each with different functions - but they all follow the intent of the head...

However if the head is too strict, and do not allow the body parts to follow their natural conditions - and the head orders its limbs to act beyond its natural capabilities - the whole organism fails - and is not able to hunt even the most easy pray...

The soldier should know that he is not a leader - but a tool of the leader - but he must also have confidence and freedom in his ability to carry out the leaders intent - and he must have the freedom to do so.

A soldier which is without confidence in his independent abilities that is only waiting for micromanagement - will lose the power of his adrenaline, free flow and ability to use his experience and intuition in a fire fight.
This is even more so for an aggressive squad that needs low ping reactions and intuitive responses
- On the other hand a defensive squad that fights at longer ranges covering kill zones and choke points will be more of a thinking and disciplined type - as they needs the ability to calm down and focusing on a certain area for a longer time - without straying around like they have hemorrhoids smeared in acid.

The leader must know that he is NOT primary a soldier - as he is spending his time mostly at the larger and hand handing out objectives for his tools based on the dynamics of the battlefield....

I am also a fan of SOP?s or standard operation procedures.. where the squad knows by hard certain responses done in coordinated fashion based on type of situation.
This way it takes away some of the micromanagement in a tight situation - and allows pre-plan responses to auto-pilot the situation - which minimize unnecessary chatter, confusion and mistakes during tight and stressful situations...

This way I let the SOP?s be the leader - and can free my self to do a bit of soldiers work - adding another gunpoint to the situation.

If anyone have played pro-fotball you will see that SOP?s are a large part of the game - while at the same time allows for individual freedom within certain limits ...
The team with the best balance of the two - will win.

Squad leader

[PR]CATA!Tequnique
Last edited by Tequnique; 2010-12-08 at 16:12..
Old 2010-12-09, 12:07   #57
guru951
Supporting Member

1. Set the standards the boys are to abide by.
2. I lead it, but I am open to suggestions.
3. Speed is key
4. Making contact isn't always the wisest decision, sometimes it's better to let them enemy walk on by (figure out where they're walking from or to).
5. Make well informed decisions, don't guess too much.
6. If you hear me ask one of the squaddies "What's the shape of Italy?" than it means someone's getting the boot.

guru951 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 12:24   #58
dtacs
Supporting Member

Quote:
6. If you hear me ask one of the squaddies "What's the shape of Italy?" than it means someone's getting the boot.
LOL I like that one, will use that.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 14:31   #59
GeorgRavioli
Supporting Member

I like to lead my squads in an authoritarian "You do what the hell I asked you to do and trust me this will work" fashion. For example, if 2 people in my squad are disagreeing with me on how to get to an objective, I will always vote for the short way, even if that means finding more contacts. I also never let people who are inexperienced with medic use it. Having an inexperienced medic is always fatal for me.

One of the things I will do to create a more friendly atmosphere is cursing at appropriate times. For example: "Holy sh*t, tank!" instead of "Oh look a tank." My Squad mates will follow suit and usually this will eventually turn into a cynical tourette's guy style of playing.

GeorgRavioli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 14:39   #60
Wicca
Supporting Member

I usually have at first a delegation kind of squadleading, with a clear mind on what were doing, not what theyr taking.

Then if i see something i dont like after some time, or the way people play isnt working, i push my will on them.

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
leading, squad, style