Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Highlights Highlights of what work the Devs are currently working on

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-08, 08:54   #61
Daishi2442
Default Re: Kokan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector View Post
Looks great but wouldnt the trees around the US base not be there as they would need a clear view to watch for incoming attacks?
I was wondering about this. Isn't there a standing order to have 100m of clear view prior to the entrance of a base?
Old 2010-10-08, 09:33   #62
Deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Savage View Post
This is a stunningly beautiful map that is rich in details. You can really see the time and effort Deer put into making all of the complexes unique from the rest.
Thanks =) It was quite horrible to work with buildings which are basicly stacks of 50-150 objects oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbrad150X View Post
If you read the info on the first post you wouldnt need to waste your time asking.

jeez guys the amount of questions that are all ready answered on the first post ....
Asking causes no harm =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector View Post
Looks great but wouldnt the trees around the US base not be there as they would need a clear view to watch for incoming attacks?
Good question. Mainbases and that extra hesco base are made so that you dont want to camp in those bases to defend em, hesco walls and towers are supposed to be quite useless firing positions and trees are there to block the view out of the base as well as in to the base. Idea is that this would reduce baseraping as well as camping in the main instead of patrolling.

The extra hesco base is like second main, it has few spawnable vehicles (including IFV) but no spawnpoint, so players must build the spawnpoint themselves. Taliban cant go camp the secondary base because of combat area, but there is still ways to destroy the spawnpoin in there. The base is made so that no more than 0-4 ppl wants to defend it. Main purpose of this secondary base is to provide safe heaven to build firebase or regroup, because usually firebases doesnt last very long in insurgency maps.. will see how this works, if it doesnt work then server can run the "alt"-layer which doesnt have this secondary base =)
Last edited by Deer; 2010-10-08 at 10:18..
Old 2010-10-08, 09:47   #63
Protector

Fair enough, I'm sure for playability it will work fine I was just going for realism. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 2010-10-08, 15:19   #64
Smiddey723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excavus View Post
Looks good, but I'm seriously getting sick of the Afghanistan theater.
What do you mean your sick of them? there are only 3 maps that are currently held in afganistan Korengal, Archer and Lashkar and they are all completely diffrent maps, its not asif they are all based in a big valley surrounded by hills that you can climb they all have their own unique style
Old 2010-10-08, 19:38   #65
Excavus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiddey723 View Post
What do you mean your sick of them? there are only 3 maps that are currently held in afganistan Korengal, Archer and Lashkar and they are all completely diffrent maps, its not asif they are all based in a big valley surrounded by hills that you can climb they all have their own unique style
I'm sick of it, because everyone is making them and they are played all the time.
Old 2010-10-08, 19:41   #66
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

I have a nitpicking question, you have some fords on the map, and the road texture stays the same when the road is above or under water.
Im trying to desribe these fords :
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2.../screen037.jpg

IRL the vehicles driving trough river wouldnt left same nice trails as on ground. Its really minor, but maybe you could try to remove the road from the river stream, and leave there just ground texture.

Im not sure I managed to express myself

Old 2010-10-08, 19:44   #67
hobbnob

Excavus, afghan maps are played IMO because this is a realism mod, based on the environment of today (or near future). A lot of fighting is going on in and around Afghanistan in real life, so surely it's plain old logic to have it in a game trying to emulate real life combat? Sure it would be cool to have a map where you defend your own house, but unless you've been on the wacky-jacky I don't think there's a large army waiting on your doorstep is there?

Loving the map btw, will it be coop compatible or is it exclusively for mp? (I went catatonic when they removed Korengal from coop lol)
Old 2010-10-08, 23:49   #68
Excavus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbnob View Post
Excavus, afghan maps are played IMO because this is a realism mod, based on the environment of today (or near future). A lot of fighting is going on in and around Afghanistan in real life, so surely it's plain old logic to have it in a game trying to emulate real life combat? Sure it would be cool to have a map where you defend your own house, but unless you've been on the wacky-jacky I don't think there's a large army waiting on your doorstep is there?

Loving the map btw, will it be coop compatible or is it exclusively for mp? (I went catatonic when they removed Korengal from coop lol)
Just because this is a realism mod doesn't mean we have to have completely realistic maps with realistic scenarios. Are Israelis fighting Russians in Lebanon? No. Is this US fighting the Chinese and Russians on their own turf? No. Is there a faction called the MEC? No. Yet we still have these scenarios ingame because they are interesting. I never said I wanted a map based in my home town, however it would be interesting to have a Russian paratrooper and amphibious invasion on the United States.

Afghanistan maps are being milked dry and there is only so much you can do with them. They are really starting to look similar now that more and more of them are being made.
Old 2010-10-09, 00:48   #69
dtacs
Supporting Member

Kokan looks good, there are a few major problems I can foresee but I think it will be an interesting map to try out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excavus View Post
I never said I wanted a map based in my home town, however it would be interesting to have a Russian paratrooper and amphibious invasion on the United States.
You're in luck, I was considering an invasion of Seattle akin to the World in Conflict level "Spaceneedle"
Old 2010-10-09, 02:35   #70
HileMighClub

this looks sooooooo epic. Very very nice work Im hoping ill be able to run the map :S i get choppy as hell on falujah west =\
Closed Thread

Tags
kokan