project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > Project Reality News
22 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Project Reality News Project Reality news releases and announcements.

Closed Thread

Old 2005-09-20, 21:55   #61
BrokenArrow
Retired PR Developer

wouldnt it be radar type pings? sonar is the sound pickup used by subs right?

Old 2005-09-21, 03:52   #62
BlakeJr
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdcjb
Maybe giving the vehicles some kind of mode to send out a series of sonar type pings and the air vehicles would show up on the screen? Just a suggestion, trying to think of what game ive seen that on before.
Well, ummm... No?
As far as I know the only vehicles that "pings" are the old type icecream trucks.

Only vehicles that have radar in real life will have the ability to scan for aircraft and have them show up on the screen.

As for "pinging", unfortunately there are no subs in this game thus there is no use for a sonar in the game.... yet?

Broken Arrow to answer your question Sonar is used by both subs and surface aircraft as an active means of detection. There are also specialized helicopters and aircrafts, such as the old P3 Orion, that are equipped with sonars.
In the case of aircraft the sonars are put in buoys(sp?) which can be launched from the aircraft. ASW Helos have there sonars on a cable and will lower it into the water where they suspect a submarine to be lurking.

That's very roughly it.

{ pretty sig removed construction on new one has not begun }
... yet ...
Old 2005-09-22, 02:10   #63
Mr. Pink
Talking All for 9mm only

i would just like to say....

i have no problem with just a sidearm for AT. Now that PR made pistols actually realistic and kill someone, i have no problem. i wish more classes had pistols because i love using them. if you have a problem with that....well just get better at using a pistol

as for whoever said i would rather have a desert eagle..... you better make that one shot hit because thats all you'll get off with the recoil on that thing.
Old 2005-09-22, 03:00   #64
worst 3

LOL he is right the d eagle is a big gun that looks cool in reality it not a very practical gun to use.

radar is always pinging shall we say, but because it is doing that all the time when it is on they don’t call it "pinging" I believe. unlike subs who don’t use there sonar in an active way most of the time. radar is sending out the signal in a pattern rhythm with hit a target bounce back and it repeated. sonar pings are not used because it gives away your position and they only ping if they are willing to give there position away because a sub is all about stealth. radar is can be tracked in the same way but because it finds out speed position in almost real time it needs to be on like that. you could simply shut it off if you do not want to be found but turning on could give away your position, I have never seen a fighter jet so I don’t know if they can lock on to the signal like that but I think they could it would not be difficult for a computer to do the math to find out is trigonometry basically. I could even do the math with the right information I figured it out one what would be need in school and came up with a basic formula but im in school so I did not need it and is forgotten. But it has to do with the time between the original signal set and the time with it comes back the time between is the signals are measured and then multiplied by the time the signal in know to go in a specific amount of time. Then there is trig for finding out the locating in 3d using 2 different places I believe that is how it is done you but u probably know basically what is done from there. and haveing a radar on the AA would be nice as long as it not one tha picks up people and othere objects that would not be normaly seen
Old 2005-09-29, 00:40   #65
JG14_Jagr

Balancing Weapons and Damage is very difficult in this game because the larger weapons.. Helo's, Jets, Tanks, don't have much of the typical threats they would face.. AC are not facing a coordinated air defense network..ad their performance is rediculous when combined with the all seeing radar that most guys fly by. What is the fun in flying around at 300 ft following real time images of every vehicle on the map and dropping a string of bombs that would shred your AC at 1000ft let alone 300 or 150 in some cases. I don't see a need for that radar at all actually..

The man portable AT weapons are another problem.. I saw a Challenger II that took 25 distinct RPG 7 hits and withdrew on its own because one of the last hits took the weapon sight out and it needed to be replaced. Much of the man portable stuff available is not going to take out a main line MBT with 1 hit.. Other MBT's, Helo's, Strike AC will do it..but not typical man portable AT stuff..

Realistically, a front line MBT is really bad news for light infantry.. magic C4 charges are not going to penetrate its armor unless they are complex shaped charges..and even those won't penetrate composites like the M1A2 and the Challenger 2.

The best maps in the game are the ones that have no fast movers.. Even some of the attack choppers get abused quite a bit..but a lot less than the Jets.
Old 2005-10-02, 22:09   #66
Enforcer1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG14_Jagr
The man portable AT weapons are another problem.. I saw a Challenger II that took 25 distinct RPG 7 hits and withdrew on its own because one of the last hits took the weapon sight out and it needed to be replaced. Much of the man portable stuff available is not going to take out a main line MBT with 1 hit.. Other MBT's, Helo's, Strike AC will do it..but not typical man portable AT stuff...

Most of the RPGs were chinese made HE warheads, if they had used HEAT, the tanks would face a bigger threat. And not to mention the training those "gunners" had = none. Most didnt have an idea on how to shoot with an RPG launcher. Lots of rockets came to short or to high, not to mention the duds. No high tech at all. And the standard issue RPG isnt really a "anti tank weapon". If they would have had the same equipment like the rebels ( aided by ex russian military members ) in grozny who took out those T80s, it would be a lot more different.
Old 2005-10-03, 14:54   #67
DWM|SgtSwabs

Well radars/sonars dont actually HAVE to "ping" its just there as an instant warning for the guy watching the radar/sonar incase he is sleepy or not watching for whatever reason.
And in 0.2 is the "game shutdown" glitch gonna stop?
Old 2005-10-03, 18:45   #68
BrokenArrow
Retired PR Developer

depends on the sonar youre talking about, passive sonar picks up sound given off by other, in most cases, subs or ships. active sonar works by actually sending out a 'ping' and determining an objects position by the way it comes back to the sender after it bounces off the object.

in the case of radar there is no ping involved, unless you mean the noise made by the warning instruments which tell you youre being painted by an enemy's targeting radar.

I think thats how it works, correct me if im wrong.

Old 2005-10-11, 16:48   #69
DocGJ

Ive got a prob...as aim playing single player.And then out of the air, it crashes to deskop.!! hate it !
Old 2005-10-11, 17:09   #70
Wolfmaster
Retired PR Developer

yeah, it happens. don't know why you are posting this here though... scroll down a bit in the forums and check the help section to see if some of the hints you find there solve it for you.

Closed Thread

Tags
prmm