project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Modelling & Animations
04 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Modelling & Animations Everything but Static Objects

Old 2014-04-04, 11:47   #71
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Vehicle] CV9035NL (WIP)

As I said before, light green edges on a light green model is a bad idea as its hard to see the verts... Use Black edges in future...

Anyways you don't need all these verts here, you can easily get away with removing all/most of these without major UV distortion, depending on how your UV is setup ofc. Remember the overall colour of a surface is what's important, not small little errors here and there and as for the drivers hatch base poly, I don't think there can be anything worse than a black spot under it after removing it

Same verts should be removed from the otherwise etc too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AfterDune View Post
lol @ windows xp screen
I think it would be better to go with the r/l screen: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6y0z4yy6w...AB%20UTAAS.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]Glimmerman View Post
if i can make a suggestion about the boxes under the seats, they dont have wooden fixed boxes under those seats irl.

This is because the should be totally free from the floor as a shock protection measure against IEDs and mines.
To pimp up the interrior you might make them look like to aluminium ammo boxes or maybe the soldiers kit?
I wouldn't have wooden boxes either unless you've got a ref that says they use that. Metal/plastic ones would be far more realistic afaik and ye, only put them under the seats if you have a refs showing them their commonly too.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 14:00   #72
Glimmerman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

if you ask me then I would remove the boxes and add a gunrack with some Diemaco's in them.
if its not a big hassle to do so.

+ a loading ramp that goes up and down with up and down arrow button would look very cool, dont know if its a good idea to have it?

Last edited by [R-DEV]Glimmerman; 2014-04-04 at 14:15..
Old 2014-04-04, 15:09   #73
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
+ a loading ramp that goes up and down with up and down arrow button would look very cool, dont know if its a good idea to have it?
I see no purpose to have it, would just add more networkables to the object, another draw call (or two more if you include the new 3p material for the interior) and it would require the 3p model to also have the interior.

Last edited by [R-DEV]Rhino; 2014-04-04 at 15:33..
Old 2014-04-04, 15:20   #74
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
if you ask me then I would remove the boxes and add a gunrack with some Diemaco's in them.
if its not a big hassle to do so.

adding gunracks is bad. That's soo many triangles wasted on something not useful.

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 15:40   #75
Glimmerman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Scratch those then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glimmerman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 00:32   #76
CTRifle
Retired PR Developer

anyone have a tut on making cols for vehicles? I can look through one on meshviewer but some info would be nice

CTRifle is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 00:55   #77
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Isn't any tutorial on them, but its pretty similar to other objects if you've ever done any others

col0 is decal/bullet col that projectiles hit. This col is normally made off of your LOD1 or LOD2 mesh and needs to basically have all your large components on it but not small details bullets are never going to hit like wires etc which why LOD1 or LOD2 is normally a base since they normally have those kinda details removed, are more optimized and generally only have the large stuff you need on a col. You also need to factor in different material elements, like if there is a face that requires a unique material like glass, metal, cloth or w/e on it, although you could optimize it, depending on the size of the face, how likley its going to be hit by a bullet and the impact that different material will have on gampelay or visuals will all depend on if you keep it or not. You also need to factor in having weaker materials on weak spots on your col mesh, even thou if there are no materials to put on them yet its still worth defining the area for possible future materials as for now you can easily set it up with the normal material in its place. But for a tank/APC, it should have different front, side and rear/top armour materials defined at the very least.

col1 is the physics/vehicles col, which is what vehicles drive into or in the case of a vehicle, also controls how your vehicle behaves in the world, with being able to drive though gaps, when it hits a wall or another vehicle etc. This is the simplest col of all and in most cases, should be made from scratch or possibly from your final LOD, and basically needs to just have the very borders of your mesh.
Materials here control what sounds/effects are played when the vehicle comes in contact with other vehicles, and why on some vehicles with a lot of glass material on them you hear glass smashing all the time when driving over the terrain etc
Also for land vehicles with turrets, the barrel should NOT be on this col as it can cause really strange stuff

col2 is your player col, which is what players walk on or in the case of vehicles, what they hit when a vehicle runs them over as well. This is another simple col although more details than col1 and should stay true to the basic shape of your vehicle where col1 doesn't need to so much but its very obvious if a player starts walking on thin air or inside the wall of a vehicle
Materials on this also define what type of footsteps a player hears as well as grip values etc when it comes to things like stair mats.

Zhi-9WA cols from col2 on the left to col0 on the right with mats displayed from this tut:https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...ml#post1860206

And ye, best to look at other vehicle cols although many vehicles have really bad cols, tbh some of the vBF2 vehicles are the best to take refs from but some of them are really bad too

Old 2014-04-12, 16:45   #78
CTRifle
Retired PR Developer

So, how does this look then?

These are the wreck cols, all will be metal mat

and here are my mats Ill use, any im missing?

CTRifle is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 17:16   #79
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Just gonna quickly type this down, in case you weren't aware(but I'm pretty sure you are ):

Indididual sub-objects need their own col mesh set. So for example in your export, the turret will be separate from the main mesh(as it needs to rotate), so that needs it's own col mesh( so the col can rotate too). Same thing for the barrel, a wheel, etc etc. So when making col meshes makes sure it fits your export scene in mind So for example for my work on the Norwegian Iveco LMV export I first setup the export scene, and then started making collision meshes for each sub-object. So for the main mesh(nor_jep_lmv), the turret, the wheels,... So yeah, my main advice is to first look into the export setup of all the objects, and then do work on collision meshes. That's how I work at least So instead of making col's for the wrecks I'd first setup the entire export scene in a nice hierarchy. Makes it easy to work I think.

That said, I have 0% clue on how the col meshes need to be made for the track-wheels and the tracks themselves.

Last edited by [R-DEV]Mineral; 2014-04-12 at 17:21..
Old 2014-04-12, 17:48   #80
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRifle View Post
So, how does this look then?
Not perpetually good tbh. Just looking at your col1 and col2, loads of pointless verts/edges and it can be simplified loads, as well as col2 needing the barrel but you should be doing the main model before doing the wreck...

Tags
cv90, cv9035nl, modelling, vehicle, wip