project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
23 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2013-02-28, 06:39   #71
pr|Zer0
Default Re: [Map] Umm Qasr (4km) [WIP]

im in a process to replace all afghan buildings...ive noticed that during LM, the wreck model is being LM'apped.
pr|Zer0 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 11:23   #72
pr|Zer0

Found another annoying mistake Ive made on the map...didnt think to combine different walls with a single one( 2x20m=1 of 40m). Im talking especially about brickwall statics which, in my case occupy 170.8 kb EACH( and I have 1011 brickwall LM files o_0 )
The question I have now, except the obvious(combining or not) is this: is sun position and light setting in general, influence the size of lightmaps? I mean, on my case, statics casts a fairly long shadow on the ground. Changing sun's position (lets say mid day position) will affect the LM size?
Old 2013-02-28, 18:56   #73
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

No, i dont believe so.

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 11:35   #74
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr|Zer0 View Post
Found another annoying mistake Ive made on the map...didnt think to combine different walls with a single one( 2x20m=1 of 40m). Im talking especially about brickwall statics which, in my case occupy 170.8 kb EACH( and I have 1011 brickwall LM files o_0 )
The problem with most walls in BF2/PR (and many other statics but walls are most common) is they have a hell of a lot of wasted LM space, which if you look in the features bit of the new wooden fences highlight I did a bit ago it goes into it: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f19...e-statics.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Added Custom Lightmap UVs that minimize the amount of wasted lightmap space while keeping the quality of a high-rez lightmap by using non-square lightmap sizes, like 512x128px sized lightmaps. Also these Custom LM UVs also come with LM samples for use with BF2 Editor LMing that support the new LM sizes, although 3DsMax LMing scripts have yet to be modified to support the new LM sizes, that should be with us by the time we need them. This is something that to my knowledge has never been done in BF2 before and will save a huge amount of lightmap space, really just this is probably worthy of its own blog post
Also goes into it a little bit here with the tent_v2b tent: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f19...ing-tents.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Tent_v2b Series:
The "v2b" statics are improved and optimized versions of the old "v2" tents which can be seen in many current PR maps, with the most significant difference being the optimized lightmaps which are 1/4 the size they where before with still keeping quality high, if not improved in some areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr|Zer0 View Post
The question I have now, except the obvious(combining or not) is this: is sun position and light setting in general, influence the size of lightmaps? I mean, on my case, statics casts a fairly long shadow on the ground. Changing sun's position (lets say mid day position) will affect the LM size?
No difference what so ever. You still generate a full rez LM, even if it has a constant light all over it (although if it dose, you could manually optimize the LM but very unlikely you will find such an object on your map, providing you have good LM settings).

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 13:58   #75
pr|Zer0

The "temporary" workaround I could find quickly, is to render all brickwall statics on medium. Im doing this to get the map thru the testing process. Honestly I have no idea how Im gonna get rid of this atlas issue on final for ALL statics ( following my above post, I optimized the wall statics by using optimal lenghts and the issue got worse: from 138 I end up with 141 LM atlases. Damn), but for the moment I hope this "trick" will work.
Final option would be to save the map only with the walls on it and LM?ng them on 3dsmax, but using custom LM UV is a bit over my head
Last edited by pr|Zer0; 2013-03-01 at 14:05..
Old 2013-03-11, 10:10   #76
pr|Zer0

Nothing works.
Project scrapped.

Thanks.
Last edited by pr|Zer0; 2013-06-12 at 12:17..
Old 2013-06-12, 10:01   #77
IINoddyII
Retired Moderator
Supporting Member

Default re: [Map] Umm Qasr (4km)

Exciting news - pr|Zer0 has found a way forward. Map back in development
IINoddyII is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-12, 11:41   #78
Arc_Shielder
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: [Map] Umm Qasr (4km)

Glad to know about this. Keep it going mate.
Arc_Shielder is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-12, 11:48   #79
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

you fixed the lightmap issue? this is good news, another map risen from the deep hells of dead community maps!

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-14, 06:00   #80
pr|Zer0

Update on first post with some SS's in the editor+the minimap.

Tags
4km, map, qasr, qasr4, scrapped, umm, wip