project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR General Discussion Archives
28 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2007-02-13, 14:41   #71
Lucid Nightmare

i say, keep the nerfed RPG's, but de-nerf the grail a little.
Right now that thing is just plain stupid.
It's pretty much impossible to hit choppers (always seems to swing away at the last possible moment) and half the time, even if you have a clean lock, the missile doesn't home anyway. Not to mention the bugged lock on tone that goes on even when you unsight as well as the ability for it to lock on to aircraft out of sight and range...
So, I eventually resort to holding it over aircraft to scare them away. But that only works for a short while, and then they just ignore it....
Old 2007-02-13, 14:46   #72
Jonathan_Archer_nx01

Their RPG should be slightly more accurate, of course not that accurate as MEC RPG.
Old 2007-02-13, 15:14   #73
Aljen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid Nightmare
It's pretty much impossible to hit choppers (always seems to swing away at the last possible moment) and half the time, even if you have a clean lock, the missile doesn't home anyway. Not to mention the bugged lock on tone that goes on even when you unsight as well as the ability for it to lock on to aircraft out of sight and range...
So, I eventually resort to holding it over aircraft to scare them away. But that only works for a short while, and then they just ignore it....
I also hate AA kit now. I was not able to hit even with 1 of 10 rockets on gulf of Oman map!
In 0.4 it was a godly weapon (= too overpowered) but now it is almost useless. At least if enemy aircrafts didn't get a warning tone that they are targeted (SA-7 is IR in real life). Maybe after rocket is launched they should get a warning.
But I think its a bit OT in RPG thread.
---
I was really surprised with RPG in 0.5. I tried to kill one soldier on a roof so I waited a bit to be sure I will hit. And then "Beng" rocked hit 15m away some other house.
Another 2 rockets - another misses.
I was really surprised as to shoot with RPGs is not THAT hard (ehm ... at least I suppose ). Now I know I will aim for that "other" house to hit my target.
Old 2007-02-13, 16:00   #74
Wasteland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid Nightmare
It's buggy, but it just takes a second to figure out. I played Gulf of Oman yesterday with Heavy AT for about a third of the time, and AA the other 2/3s. I got first place for points (on a full 64 player Gloryhoundz game). It takes some getting used to, but if you have ammo and patience, you can work around the bugs. Also, reset the lock on tone between acquiring targets by aiming quickly at the ground.
Old 2007-02-13, 16:16   #75
Wasteland

I've created a new topic to cover insurgent tactics and possible future change suggestions to make them more effective on Al Basrah.

http://realitymod.com/forum/showthre...893#post271893
Old 2007-02-13, 16:29   #76
Deadmonkiefart

I have not played a whole lot with the .5 patch(3-5hours), but I spent all of my time on Al Basrah and it is the BEST map in BF2 and in BF2PR period! Out of the 3 full games I have played there, 2and1/2 of them were with insurgents. Me and my squad of 4 managed to hold all of the cps but 1 the entire game(JUST 5 PEOPLE) while the rest of my team attempted to assault tanks and APCs out in the desert. Everyone acts like it is just like a conventional army and thinks they can go out in the desert and attack Armor(which you shouldn't do with conventional armies in PR anyway). The US may have been able to call down air support in wide open areas where there were huge concentrations of insurgents(over 1/2 the team sorrounding a single building), but they cannot kill small groups of people hiding in the city(my squad the entire game). the US tried several attacks on our cp we were defending, but each time they were obliterated. Sometimes they would attack with 12-16 guys at once, but those were the only attacks we had any trouble repelling, and even then, only because of the lack of other insurgents helping us. Then there was my 1/2game with the USMC. While I racked up a
few kills staying out in the desert with idiot insurgents running at me with IEDs, the lack of a combined attack force made it impossible to take a cp. Everyone was just sitting out in the desert sniping infantry with tanks and APCs, because whenever anybody whent near a building, they were almost immediatly annhialated. I really just think that people need to get used to things before they start to realize how easy it is to defend with insurgents.

On another note I teamkilled 2 people in my squad and killed myself 4 times with my own RPG, and while I love the contrasting USMC and insurgents, the RPG REALLY needs to be just a bit better. Not as good as in .4, but it should not kill you when you use it, especially with how careful I was.

Anyway thanks for an THE BEST map in PR.
Old 2007-02-13, 22:15   #77
Rico11b

What's all this talk about not watching the KTD ratio if you are an insurgent? It seems to me that is what most people are playing for isn't it? Seems that the only goal for most players is to rack up kills, and forget about teamwork. I'm sure that a lot of guys will ONLY play US side on Al Basrah, that way they can brag about their 60:1 kill ratio. They don't have the guts to play as insurgents, but that how it is I guess. Insurgents seem to be reduced to target practice. It is starting to sound like a training ground for PR players to perfect their uber skills It also seems that by knowing the insurgents can't hit crap it would increase the RUN-N-GUN mentality among PR Players on the US side.

Someone posted earlier that Real Life insurgents are NOT trained. I'm not sure that is totally true. It is known now that Al Qaeda and other terrorist groups around the world DID and DO provide some level of training to their members. Hell you can see video clips of said training on CNN all the time. I've seen lots of training clips on CNN and other news stations demonstrating the proper way to conduct an ambush or an assault. Hell just last week they showed a clip of a training tape made to instruct terrorist on how to storm a building and take hostages. I'm sure in all that "secret training" they are taking the time to insure that a new member would at least know how the shoulder a rifle. It only takes 20 minutes to instruct someone how to load and fire a rifle. Getting to be an expect shot does take more time however. But the basics can be learned in a couple of hours. You fellow Vets surely remember all the time spent dry firing with a stupid dime or washer balanced on the rifle barrel don't ya? As for being able to hit anything while having bullets sent your way is another matter all together. That can't really be taught, you just have to learn during the experience, so to speak.

Formal training conducted by the Military is not the only way to get good with a rifle. I was hunting animals and target shooting LONG before I ever joined the Army. I was an expert shoot before I EVER touched my first M-16 rifle. Did the Army make be a better marksman than I already was, of course they did! But I could still hit a deer or even a prairie dog at 300 meters long before I joined the Army. That’s my 2 cents.
Last edited by Rico11b; 2007-02-13 at 22:20..
Old 2007-02-13, 22:33   #78
Rusty_FunP

WNxKenwayy: Maybe, maybe not.

I haven't seen anything spectacular about the US training in compared to the training in other countries. I havent actually been there to see it, but somehow I have a feeling, that this is the thing we have in common. Sure, being in the theater definitely gives people the edge, but after the basic training, im pretty much sure it doesnt matter whether you come from USA, Russia or Indochina.

</end of personal argument>
Old 2007-02-14, 00:35   #79
Wasteland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico11b
Insurgents seem to be reduced to target practice. It is starting to sound like a training ground for PR players to perfect their uber skills It also seems that by knowing the insurgents can't hit crap it would increase the RUN-N-GUN mentality among PR Players on the US side.
I haven't noticed this "insurgent innacuracy", except with RPGs. And that didn't stop me from shooting a cobra out of the sky. One single shot the insurgents are just as accurate as anything else. There is more recoil maybe from full auto, but I only use their full auto at very close quarters.

I don't know if you've been on an Al Basrah game yet, but what you're describing just isn't happening. It seems pretty even as is to me.
Old 2007-02-14, 11:45   #80
LiquidSnake

SA7 is not that bad. Played with duckhunt yesterday... both were AA guys. We got like 3 A10 and some choppers u just have to fire together. 2 Hits ----> choppers got some problems.

Edit: stay near ammo dumps!

Tags
accuracy, insurgent, reduced, rpg