project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2006-06-05, 20:27   #71
Malik
Banned

Head out of service? Haven't they only just started using the 5.8mm recently? Weird...
Malik is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-05, 20:41   #72
the.ultimate.maverick
Banned

I was talking to a Korean about this over the last few weeks and he says that the 5.8 is now being phased out (including the Type 95 range) and is being used solely for SF units. So the QBZ-95, QBB-95 and Type88 are all going out. Factories not producing 5.8mm ammo etc.
the.ultimate.maverick is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-05, 20:51   #73
Malik
Banned

That's odd of them, I read so much about their testing of the low calibre rounds for penetration and all that about them developing the 5.8mm weapons and stuff, and to hear it's being phased out already is just... odd. Do you know if they've got some new weapons in the pipeline or are they just going back to their Type 81s? It'd be nice if they stuck to their QBZs and at LEAST changed the barrels and ammo, those things looked so awesome. :P
Old 2006-06-05, 21:03   #74
the.ultimate.maverick
Banned

The 5.8 ammo is quite old tbh - at least 10-12 yars when it started entering development and entered service in 1997. Now I'm not sure why they are moving away from it - my contact's Russian isn't good enough and my Korean and Mandarin are...well....non existant. But from what I can gather, it makes no sense. The 5.8 will have sightly better stopping power than the 5.56 round and in terms of production would not be difficult to produce. Its damned confusing.

In terms of a cross over to NATO type rounds (5.56), there is already a QBZ-97 (About 7 years now at least) that chambers a 5.56 NATO round. The Chinese are also rechambering te weapons for 5.56 rounds - including the Type 03 rifle and perhaps the Type 95 range more extensively but that is yet to be seen.

It is truly confusing but as always this is the case in China.
the.ultimate.maverick is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-05, 21:07   #75
Malik
Banned

When you talk of it being 10-12 years old, that always freaks me out. I always think of 1995 as like 5 years old, I forget it's actually nearly 12. :S

I hope the Chinese decide what they want pretty soon, I really want to see the full QBZ family in PR at one point, it'll be boring if they stick to Kalashnikovs.
Old 2006-06-05, 21:10   #76
Dylan

If your not confused your not paying attention really plays an effect here huh?
Dylan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-05, 22:15   #77
TobiasReaper

hello everybody, and welcome to my first post
let's see if we can get this thread back on topic...

If I got the drift here right, quite a few here agree with my feelings that the snipers currently don't feel quite sniper like.
Talking of myself as example: with the semiautos I have the most success when I bring up the scope, wait a second or two, and then squese off 3-4 shots in rapid succession (rapid for a sniper beeing 1-2 shots per second).
Of course the hit rate is higher if I wait 5 seconds before EACH shot. but it's not so much higher to warant shooting 5 times less bullets...
so the way the snipers handle at the moment, they have better optics then the assault rifles, but not so much better accuracy (hardly noticable).

This leaves us with the question: how could we make the snipers handle more like snipers - without making them TOO good (we don't want the game to turn into a sniper festival after all, right?)

well, how about driving this whole "letting the sight settle" story to extremes?
Allow me to explain: currently it seems like lettin the sight setle a few seconds (without moving the body) before shooting increases accuracy a bit (personal feeling is you have about double chance to hit a head at 100m after waiting for 3-4 seconds).
Now, if snipers should feel like snipers, they should be certain to hit with this ONE shot - that's currently not possible. But if we make it possible... then snipers are too good - UNLESS it takes forever to archieve that accurracy....

So how about giving snipers near-perfect precission - but needing to let the sight settle for a looong time, and basicaly beeing unable to hit anything before a few seconds have passed.

If possible to implement a optimum would (imho) be:
after moving the body, about 10 seconds to reach current accuracy, 15 seconds for "perfect" shot
about 5 seconds between shots for "perfect" aim... maybe 4 to reach current accuracy...
but before that time, have the deviation really, really big, so hitting something would require quite alot of luck.
Maybe it would even work having abit longer "aiming and adjustment" times - if the resulting shot is worth the wait.

Result: snipers CAN do repeatable one shot kills, but not everyone is going to play as sniper, because they require paitience and a lot of skill to get into position stealthy - there is no way to just dive into prone and pop some head 150 meters away.

abouve suggestions would transform PR snipers into true snipers: capable to reach out and touch somone (e.g.: that guy manning the stinger on the other side of the river, the machin gun gunner... what ever) but beeing pretty screwed if a full squad realises where they hide and start moving that way using cover and trying not to present a target, supressive fire on his position (if he moves for cover: re-aim again, not just popping up and shoot....)
Last edited by TobiasReaper; 2006-06-05 at 22:24..
Old 2006-06-05, 22:21   #78
hop_ic

the accuracy need to be increased on the sniper atleast on the crouching mode. A support can crouch and be accurate and a sniper can't. You need to make the sniper more accurate because I mean why would they give a sniper to someone who cannot be accurate on crouch or standing. Fix it please.
hop_ic is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-05, 22:31   #79
Crawley
Banned

Quote:
A support can crouch and be accurate
Spray & Pray, small bursts.
Crawley is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-05, 22:37   #80
TobiasReaper

increasing the sniper accuracy on crouch too is interesting - but maybe a bit dangerous (Gameplay balance wise)... when I posted abouve long article I was thinking wheter it makes sense to give crouched snipers an maximum accuracy of just slightly less then what they currently have prone - when waiting loooong inbetween shots and even looooooonger after getting in postion (before the first shot)

But it would offer snipers basically endless spots to hide. Therefore in turn making it almost impossible to for the average infantry to find the hidden sniper.
And it can't be our goal that we NEED a well hidden sniper scanning all the windows for opossing snipers as the only means to get infantry across a bridge for example.

If snipers can only fire accuratly from prone it limits their hiding spaces. so a sniper can and will be found within a reasonable search time - and then be covered with loads of (inacurate at long range) fire. So he either moves, or picks off 1 or two enemys more and dies...

sure, it's still not realistic - but at least I think it could be fun, and feel better then our current snipers with their semi-auto assault rifels with scopes...
(which, btw. if I'm not completely mistaken the SVD actually is...)
TobiasReaper is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
accuracy, increase, rifle, sniper