project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
18 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2011-09-22, 12:27   #81
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member
Default Re: Lack of Mumble users in PR community. Ideas?

It's all swings and roundabouts, I won't bother playing on servers that don't have a reasonable amount of mumblers - I'd rather not play that get frustated into what I see as playing mute and deaf.

Bit of a bummer as it means atm I'm restricted to NWA and TG if it's up. So I play far far less than before.
PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-22, 13:01   #82
Nixy23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes_Sbg View Post
I use PrMumble. Sometimes its helpfull, sometimes annoying. I play with some mates who dont want to use PrMumble and I do understand their reasons. I wont stop playing with them, but I hate the fact that the community breaking in two. We play a lot on the [New] server, but the day they make PrMumble mandatory we will stop playing there. We wont have trouble finding other players to play with and we already have plans for an own server. Its just sad to see the community breaking up because of PrMumble.
Teamplay is first of all a matter of attitute, not tools. There are players out there who cant speak english, dont get along with all the noise in the PrMumble-Channel, or dont want to speak to a bunch of strangers, or dont even have a mic, but still providing a lot of teamplay. Again: PrMumble can be usefull and enhance teamplay if used correctly. Im just questioning if its worth forcing it.
Teamwork is an attitude, but the attitude of not wanting to use a program is going against the entire principle of teamwork.

The noise in the PRMumble channel? There isn't any noise when you are linked and in-game. There's only a bit of noise when you are in the squadleader channel.

Not wanting to speak to strangers? This again goes against teamwork.. not having a mic falls in the same category.

As for people without mics etc providing teamwork, I beg to differ. I was flying a Kiowa yesterday, and out of pure compassion (if you can call it that) we let a 'spotter' join the squad. He didn't have a microphone and didn't use mumble. He was 'spotting' in my Kiowa: aka putting up lases, and then telling me afterwards I wasn't supposed to shoot at them because he was marking civilians.

Can you imagine me thinking that is NOT TEAMWORK. That is just being plain stupid. This is just one of the many examples of how not having at least a microphone goes against the basics of what you call teamwork.

Refusing to use the means to communicate is hurting yourself and your team.

Would you still use smoke signals when you want to tell your mom you're not coming home for dinner, or would you use your cellphone? No, you use your phone because it's available, it's easier and direct. The same goes for mumble. It's there, it's available and it's direct. Don't go use sign language when you can communicate properly, please..
Nixy23 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-22, 14:35   #83
Hannes_Sbg
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixy23 View Post
Teamwork is an attitude, but the attitude of not wanting to use a program is going against the entire principle of teamwork.
Using PrMumble = Teamwork
Not using PrMumble = No Teamwork

You convinced me.
Hannes_Sbg is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-22, 15:04   #84
Brainlaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes_Sbg View Post
There are players out there who cant speak english, dont get along with all the noise in the PrMumble-Channel, or dont want to speak to a bunch of strangers, or dont even have a mic, but still providing a lot of teamplay. Again: PrMumble can be usefull and enhance teamplay if used correctly. Im just questioning if its worth forcing it.
Wrong game? Communication, thus including and having a microphone is that what makes PR PR.

TBH I'm quite glad Mumble "splits" the community as this software can be seen as filter, which sorts out the more serious players (not all the time but most of it) and leaves behind those who are not fully committed or interested.

Don't get me wrong, there are many good teamplayers who don't use Mumble but taking a percentage of those who use and those who doesn't, you'll visualize what a dramatic difference it makes. And as you said, there are server who don't enforce it, which is good but I'm more than happy, grateful and glad about the servers that actually make the effort to make it mandatory.
Brainlaag is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 12:34   #85
Cassius
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLODDITHANLEY View Post
It's all swings and roundabouts, I won't bother playing on servers that don't have a reasonable amount of mumblers - I'd rather not play that get frustated into what I see as playing mute and deaf.

Bit of a bummer as it means atm I'm restricted to NWA and TG if it's up. So I play far far less than before.
souscrit

Mumble is needed. In the heat of battle teamchat is oftentimes overlooked. Also by the time you are done typing to warn the tank of the mine...

Quote:
or dont want to speak to a bunch of strangers
What kind of reclusive is that? My sympathy to those who cant afford a mic though. As for the noise, mumble has this awesome feature where you can mute single players, so you can mute the one or 2 guys spamming music or worse and still hear everyone else.

|TG|cap_Kilgore
Cassius is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
community, ideas, lack, mumble, users