project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2006-06-05, 22:42   #81
coolhand

10+ seconds seem to be an aweful longgg time to get the 'perfect' shot. I personally don't have any problems w/the sniper rifles in game. I NEVER have a problem w/the M24; I kill 9/10 shots with that scope. The SVD & the Type95 is only about 4/10 (for 1 shot 1 kills - 6/10 for 'hits'). That seems pretty fair with me because the M24 is a precision rifle with superior optics. It's also bolt action which minimizes recoil unlike the autoloading SVD and Type95.

Sniping in PRMM is fairly hard; some people argue it's easy but it takes patience to line up a good shot. I take around 3-5 seconds to line up my M24 scope and I will almost, always get a kill. The SVD and 95' have much more deviation so I aim it on my victim's neck, to allow deviation and still hopefully land either a head or a chest shot case my bullets miss.

The key to PRMM's sniping is the fact that you have to be more patient. Shooting at a moving target (unless you're -175m away, or he is moving towards/away from you) is a waste. It's when you 'track' your target with your scope a long distance that I feel like the sniper rifle's deviation increases. So just be patient, your target will get to the frontlines soon enough and he will stop in cover and check things out. When he settles like that, you have your 3-5 seconds to take that shot.

Then.. stop shooting. Make your shots count: You have limited ammo that runs out very fast & the sniper rifles in the game is VERY loud so take care that no one figures out what side your coming from. ONLY SHOOT when you know you are going to make that kill.

They're fine for now. But I do agree the SVD and 95 can use some tweaking because their deviation is almost similar to the M16/AK47. Those rifles should never be as accurate as the M24 but definately should be more accurate than assault rifles. I feel like it should be about 60% halfway between the accuracy of the M16 and the accuracy of the M24 feels like a good fit.
coolhand is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-05, 23:11   #82
TobiasReaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand
I personally don't have any problems w/the sniper rifles in game. I NEVER have a problem w/the M24; I kill 9/10 shots with that scope. The SVD & the Type95 is only about 4/10 (for 1 shot 1 kills - 6/10 for 'hits').
would you mind to tell me at what distances?
I consider myself a quite acceptable sniper, but still, this sort of hitrate I can only archive at below 150 meters or something... but at this distance my hitrate with the m16 is not soo much different... (sinlge shot, 1 shot a second)

example: today I played at this map where you have one checkpoint flag right in the middle of a very long bridge, USMC versus MEC.
I was a MEC sniper lying at the big crane next to the harbor, overlooking the bridge. Checkpoint 200 m or something away.
The head of the targets is completely covered by the tip of the SVDs "crosshair" when it's right to hit.
I was shooting REALLY slow, like 1 shot every 5 to 10 seconds. not moving my body at all, and changing aim only from left to right side of bridge (~5 degree). Always waiting atleast 2 seconds motionless abouve my targets head before pressing the mousebutton very slow and gentle (so as to not twitch the mouse on the last moment).

Still my hitrate was about 2 in 10...
So in other words: I was killing someone every 1 o 2 minutes, even though I had tons of motionless targets only like 200 m away, that were busy shooting their suport machinge guns down the bridge...

needless to say, I did NOT feel like a sniper at that moment...
TobiasReaper is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-06, 02:24   #83
coolhand

If the tip of the SVD sightlines covers the head+neck of your target then the distance is too far away. You start relying more on luck, rather that weapoon & skill. I find that the best sniping distance is when the target's head perfect gets covered up by the M24's corosshair. You can land almost ALL body shots w/the M24 w/that distance. But w/the SVD, it's harder.

I don't bother sniping distances where the enemies are only a few pixel tall/wide - like the distance from the each beach flags in Oman. At that distance, you have to shoot really accurately which is hard w/the fat thick crosshairs. You'll luck out w/the M24 a lot more than if you use an SVD. So I only go for headshots when I can still see the edges of the 'head' around the crosshairlines. Aim, pause, shoot.
+

EDIT:

Oh, and if there IS one thing that I would like to see changed w/the sniperscopes is for them to get much better, thinner crosshairs like the one on the L96A1. That scope is sweet, the fat crosshairs get annoying sometimes.
coolhand is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-06, 03:34   #84
Dylan

Well today I was sniping Kronos team with my m24 at around 350-400 meters and got 6 kills with 7 shots. They had helis searching for me, about 3-5 ppl spotted me on my 7th shot and I was toast. El Alamein is a great sniping map indeed.
Dylan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-06, 04:17   #85
Crawley
Banned

Quote:
El Alamein is a great sniping map indeed.
Overall the map blows
Crawley is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
accuracy, increase, rifle, sniper