project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
21 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2009-10-13, 17:27   #931
motherdear
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: Show your models thread...(IMAGE HEAVY)

okay sounds good man didn't know realize that you had asked Z to help my bad :P but good work so far keep it up

[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto: "Talking squad level tactics in bed is actually a little known aphrodisiac"
[R-CON]Pantera : "maybe you might learn that we are not super intelligent beings chained in UKF's basement being forced to work on this".
motherdear is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 18:52   #932
162eRI

Your model is really nice DankE_SPB!!! Hope to see it in PR one day! Is the MT-LB still a lot use in the Russian army? It could be use for the MEC as well...
Good luck
Last edited by 162eRI; 2009-10-13 at 22:35..
Old 2009-10-13, 20:19   #933
Tomato-Rifle

Looking very nice DankE!
Tomato-Rifle is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 03:42   #934
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

nice Danke but you need to connect all thous doors, hatches and pannnels etc fully onto the main hull otherwise your going to have lots of wasted texture space and worse you will also have loads of zfighting errors round thous bits.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 10:44   #935
DankE_SPB
Retired PR Developer

thx for your feedback guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]162eRI View Post
Is the MT-LB still a lot use in the Russian army? It could be use for the MEC as well...
yes, there are alot of them and they are still in service, all around the world, there are also tonns of modifications for it, if you believe this there are ~4800 of them only in RF
as for actual usage, pic worth a thousand of words

even americans are using it

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
nice Danke but you need to connect all thous doors, hatches and pannnels etc fully onto the main hull otherwise your going to have lots of wasted texture space and worse you will also have loads of zfighting errors round thous bits.
i will get back to it when i'm finished with all details

[R-DEV]Z-trooper: you damn russian bear spy ;P - WWJND?
DankE_SPB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 11:21   #936
manligheten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DankE_SPB
or how z-fight looks like?
The planes which are close to one another seem to intermittently intersect. You'll see it first at some distance.

The MTLB is insanely cool BTW. The badassest APC motor sound I know. It sounds much more dangerous than it is.
manligheten is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 12:03   #937
Z-trooper
Retired PR Developer

"Z-fighting" is a result of a limited depth buffer.

When rendering an image inside a 3d software you 'raytrace' it. This means that a large number of rays are shot out from the camera (through each pixel of the final image). These rays simulate real world light rays and can thus fairly accuratly simulate shadow, reflection, lights ect... In this environment z-fighting dosn't really happen (unless the resolution of the temp variables are really crappy)

In game graphics this is fundamentally different. Here everything is based on vertex lighting.
It also operates on a series of different 'buffers'.
One of these is called the 'depth buffer'. In this series of calculations it figures out the distance to each object(surface) in the scene. The surfaces with the smallest depth value is chosen to be displayed in the particular pixel. This is a good and fast way to 'render' geometry and this is true for all game engines (except a few prototype examples).

The problem with this is that it only has a resolution of 256 values. 0 being the closest thing and 255 being the furthest away.

Now if you are in a small environment and the furthest object is 10m away, then these 10m are divided into 256 equal parts. So every ~3,9cm there is a new 'depth level', but if your view is 700m then each level is ~2,7m apart. So surfaces on the same line of sight closer to eachother than 2,7m will 'fight' over the pixels there. That is the 'fight' part of 'z-fighting'... The "Z" comes from the depth. Usually the internal axis of the cameras has the z-axis point out into the screen (some has the y-axis).

These 0-256 can be represented by a greyscale image (really helpful for debugging!) here is an example. 0 is black (near) to 255 is white (far):

Example of Z-fighting:

For the artist:

Beware of having surfaces too close to eachother. Like in DankE's model above the doors are seperate objects layed on top of the main body. So the surfaces of the door and the big plane behind it are pretty close to eachother and since it is such a large area it will be very noticable.

The viewports inside your 3d software (like 3ds max) function the exact same way as game engines handle this, and if you zoom out you will start to see stuff flickering. This is why I try to make people take screenshots of their models rather than 'rendering' them.

You will also notice this in PR. When you are in a chopper or aircraft you will see stuff flickering on the ground.

Once I get the time I will do a proper article on a whole range of these subjects with artists in mind rather than going nuts with the technical details...

"Without geometry, life is pointless"
Z-trooper is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 08:25   #938
Kenny

Ok I decide to take on something a little bigger I chose the FN-FAL for its simple shape

It's still need alot of work but it's getting their
Kenny is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 10:54   #939
Kenny

Ok this might be all I do tonight

it's getting along still need to do the cocking and fire selection mechanisms
then I need to optimize and smooth it as well as make the mag
Kenny is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 14:00   #940
motherdear
Retired PR Developer

normal map and AO bake proof of concept to myself

don't mind the rather obvious texture seam, it was a proof of concept and the uv was just a planar map basicly, quick and dirty and i only needed to edit it slightly to have no stretching of the texture.

[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto: "Talking squad level tactics in bed is actually a little known aphrodisiac"
[R-CON]Pantera : "maybe you might learn that we are not super intelligent beings chained in UKF's basement being forced to work on this".
motherdear is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
heavy, models, show, threadimage