project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Faction Archives > Polish Forces
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Polish Forces Discussion pertaining to the PR Polish Forces faction.

Old 2012-12-15, 21:00   #1
ddeo
Retired PR Developer
Default [Vehicle] PT91 Twardy

Quote:
"Long time" without update. As you can see we are trying to progress faster with making faction, but today I would like to show you one of models we have received from old team responsible for developing Polish Forces. It's of course polish tank PT91 Twardy (based on T72), even if model is 2 years old it still looks damn nice. Take a look: p3d.in - twardy

Author: Brother
Tweaks, fixes: PaulPL
Current progress: Fixing the model

Around 12k tris.

Cheers!
Sadly, after further look model will be completely reworked in future...
Last edited by [R-DEV]ddeo; 2012-12-17 at 20:59..
Old 2012-12-15, 21:19   #2
Adriaan
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Vehicle] PT91 Twardy

Cool, although with 12k tris I would worry about optimization. Think you could optimize the turrets geometry underneath where the ERA and other bits are, as well as lowering detail on the smoke launchers. The ERA slabs on the front of the hull could be pulled into one element, spaces in between being indicated on the texture.

Old 2012-12-15, 21:29   #3
ddeo
Retired PR Developer

Sure, I will be working on this model tomorrow, I just noticed that not everything is as it should be. It's still nice model, but it needs some more work.
Old 2012-12-15, 21:32   #4
Adriaan
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Alright.
Also, remember that the wheels need verts in the centre of them.

Old 2012-12-15, 22:00   #5
Antol

Waiting for texture. It gonna be epic
Old 2012-12-16, 01:05   #6
velocity

Does the barrel need to be completely hollow?

Never done 3D stuff apart from photoshop but from what I have picked up on here is it should just be textured?
Old 2012-12-16, 02:11   #7
Simsung

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity View Post

Never done 3D stuff apart from photoshop but from what I have picked up on here is it should just be textured?
Well, it's a matter of personal preference to be honest.
Of course, it would save few polygons, which could be used elsewhere, but game-art is really tricky in terms of aesthetics and good looks.
You gotta find a fine point between optimization and good looking model.
Old 2012-12-16, 05:02   #8
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

With your block armour you're going to have to bake them onto the face's texture under it, and not have the normal shadows underneath since they are going to zfight like crazy and the only way your going to have any chance of hiding that is by having the texture under them looking excatly like they do, with also meaning that you can remove them in a pretty early LOD, just leaving the baked blocks under where they where. Some of the blocks like the ones right above the cannon should really be moved away from the faces under them as they are going to zfight even when up close, the more distance you put between them and the face behind them, the less they will zfight.

Also you guys should think about how the cannon is going to rotate up and down, for example, on the t72 ingame the base stays static, while the cannon rotates inside of it:

I can't see how yours can rotate without something looking super wrong with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsung View Post
Well, it's a matter of personal preference to be honest.
Of course, it would save few polygons, which could be used elsewhere, but game-art is really tricky in terms of aesthetics and good looks.
You gotta find a fine point between optimization and good looking model.
The barrel shouldn't be completely hollow as it is currently. It isn't a matter of personal preference, its about spending tris where the player is going to see them. The player isn't going to see any tris in something that's going to be in total shadow and can only see them when at one very exact angle viewing into the barrel, and being close enough to see it, that's even if the inside of the barrel wasn't 100% black inside so you could see into it. As such, totally wasted tris on a model that's already over budget.

As per this post here I posted the other day:https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f38...ml#post1841523
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Also always for barrels you should always have a cone rather than a cylinder with a back face as for starters, its far less tris but not only that, it also gives a much better "bottomless" effect when textured with a shadow in the middle and takes up far less UV space and easier on the LODs

EDIT: also a serious amount of tris you can save at the top of your turret here:

Using this: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...age-heavy.html
Quote:
Optimization

and this: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...cylinders.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Now lets un-smooth this scope for say a LOD etc, so lets first undo the smoothing what we have just done by selecting one in every two of the cap faces but making sure they are above the triangle bit like so, and then hit ring to select the other ones on the other side:

Now normally using the ring tool in this kinda situation would select all the edges all the way down the scope but because we have selected the edges above a tri face and not above a quad face, the ring tool selection was stopped at the tri which for this case is what we wanted

Now if we Collapse the edges we have selected we go back to what we had before, although now the UVs are a little bit distorted.

Now before we go cleaning up thous UVs I want to unsmooth our scope more than this, so again, select one in every two cap faces round the edge and then once that's done, hit the ring tool to select them all

Now we can see this time our edges have been selected all the way down to the end of the scope which is what we wanted here and now if we collapse these edges, the entire scope is going to be unsmoothed

Now you wouldn't want to look at this scope now in a 1st person model:

But this scope is now really optimized for a 3rd person LOD etc which what we are looking for here as even at a small distances, you can't tell the difference

And you can smooth up and un-smooth these scopes even more for what ever we want

Last edited by [R-DEV]Rhino; 2012-12-16 at 05:11..
Old 2012-12-16, 09:35   #9
ddeo
Retired PR Developer

Thanks Rhino, I'm going to work on it today.
Old 2012-12-16, 11:21   #10
simeon5541

Looks very good.
Can't wait to use it with my driver friend.

Tags
pt91, twardy, vehicle