project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support
19 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2023-01-26, 21:18   #1
nsc97
Default Ubuntu 12.04 for server?

I'm interested in hosting a server for Project Reality. I work at a datacentre and I have more than enough resources to run a VM for a server, however I ran across this while applying for a license. "The recommended server specifications are Ubuntu 12.04 64bit or a recent Windows Server configuration. Newer versions of Linux are not supported."

This strikes me as odd as Ubuntu 12.04 hasn't had support for security updates or otherwise since 2017. My company won't allow me to run EOL software on our infrastructure. So, my question is has anyone attempted to run a PR server on a newer version of Ubuntu like 20.04LTS? I have searched the forums and google and can't find a good answer.
nsc97 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-27, 17:20   #2
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: Ubuntu 12.04 for server?

You planning to host a Deployment (PvP) server, or a COOP server (players vs bots)? Linux (any) is not a viable option for COOP, just FYI

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-02, 04:51   #3
[R-DEV]​ShrapGnoll
PR:BF2 Developer
PR Server License Moderator

yes you can run on newer versions but may run into some issues along the way that need troubleshooting, if you're comfortable in bash/cli/linux in general it's no problem
ShrapGnoll is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-03, 06:24   #4
[R-COM]PvtNewb
Support Technician
PR Server License Moderator

You can run the server binary on bleeding edge linux, but the Mumble binary is a bit old and needs some old libraries dating back to the Precise era.

There are several things that you can do, first one is unpacking old libraries then linking them with the LD_LIBRARY_PATH envvar, second one is running the mumble server inside a 12.04 LXC/LXD container. It's your pick.

PvtNewb is offline Reply With Quote