project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
07 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2004-10-14, 16:46   #1
[tR]Greasy_Mullet
Default Recon Unit

One aspect that I think could be really well done would be Snipers/Recon class. Imagine having to spend some serious time setting up a shot. Now imagine hidden far removed from the action and relaying information on troop movements back to your team.

Here is how I would like to see it work. Since you can pair up into squads, give the sniper a two man squad. Call it the recon unit. Both players would benefit when they are close together for Sniping. On could act as a spotter and the other the shooter. The spotter would be able to give distances to the target that would relay into the scope of the shooter, perhaps even giving a bonus to accuracy.

For the shooter you could simulate the real effects a sniper would go through. Such as breathing. Anyone who has ever shot competitively knows that breathing is key to your shot. This would be an easy translation into the game. Simply have the scope figure 8 and then a breath meter to the side. As the shooter has been laying down, his breathing will steady. As it steadies, so does the rifle. Accuracy increases at the end of the breath and he holds it for a second or two before taking a new breath. During that time would be the most accurate shot.

Anyway this could be built on but it is a basic idea for improving this class and making it more team oriented. I would like to simulate trigger pull (squeeze) but I have no idea how to convert that over and make it work right without seriously sacrificing game play. The possibilities are endless. What do you guys think?
[tR]Greasy_Mullet is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 12:06   #2
Black Beret
Retired Military Advisor

Thanks for your suggestion.
Black Beret is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 12:24   #3
ArchEnemy
Retired PR Developer

hmmm but doesnt a sniper work alone?

Retired PR Lead Coder
ArchEnemy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 12:30   #4
Black Beret
Retired Military Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV
ArchEnemy]hmmm but doesnt a sniper work alone?
Of course not.
Black Beret is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 22:37   #5
Hoss

Quote:
For the shooter you could simulate the real effects a sniper would go through. Such as breathing. Anyone who has ever shot competitively knows that breathing is key to your shot. This would be an easy translation into the game. Simply have the scope figure 8 and then a breath meter to the side. As the shooter has been laying down, his breathing will steady. As it steadies, so does the rifle. Accuracy increases at the end of the breath and he holds it for a second or two before taking a new breath. During that time would be the most accurate shot.

There could be a bar moving up and down simulating a breathing "pattern". More you move, the faster it goes. Would be similar to a kicker in a Madden football game. lol

Someone was telling me about a game (not sure which) that when you were under fire you had some sort of "panic" rating (similar to the breath one) as someone fired on you it helped simulate that you were under fire and could not return fire with good accuracy. Similar idea, not sure how fun/implementable either idea it is.
Hoss is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 22:43   #6
[tR]Greasy_Mullet

Well as prone your breathing bar would start high and come down slowly. Once it gets to the end of the bar it holds for 2-3 seconds. At that spot is the best shot you can take. After the 2-3 seconds is up, the bar goes back to the top. So it could be a lot like madden. But it should be slow and smooth.
[tR]Greasy_Mullet is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 05:51   #7
BlakeJr
Retired PR Developer

There does not have to be a bar at all. Make the model move with a "breathing pattern" and then when you aim you could click and hold the right mouse button to simulate holding your breath.
When you do that the motion of the aimed view will stabilize to allow for that perfect shot.
If you hold your breath for too long the aimed view will start to weave again until you release the RMB for a few seconds to catch your breath.

{ pretty sig removed construction on new one has not begun }
... yet ...
BlakeJr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 05:55   #8
bleachy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJr
There does not have to be a bar at all. Make the model move with a "breathing pattern" and then when you aim you could click and hold the right mouse button to simulate holding your breath.
When you do that the motion of the aimed view will stabilize to allow for that perfect shot.
If you hold your breath for too long the aimed view will start to weave again until you release the RMB for a few seconds to catch your breath.
Great Idea!!

I've been wanting that(or something similar) in a game for the longest time.
bleachy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 07:00   #9
BlakeJr
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleachy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJr
Great Idea!!

I've been wanting that(or something similar) in a game for the longest time.
Try Infiltration for Unreal Tournament. That's where I got "my" idea.
Linkage : --> http://infiltration.sentrystudios.net/

{ pretty sig removed construction on new one has not begun }
... yet ...
BlakeJr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 14:22   #10
Hoss

Cool, I'll DL infiltration thjis afternoon and give it a whirl. A few minutes left of DC final right now
Hoss is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
recon, unit