project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Suggestions Archives
28 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2007-02-16, 02:28   #1
Lucid Nightmare

Default Arty

Well, I was playing operation ghost train the other day and this wonderful idea struck me.

How it came to be was, when either north or south bridge got neutralised, i would call arty on it and prep a grenade. As the arty was falling, my squad would close the distance, timing just right so we could get to the bunker just after the arty stopped and lob a grenade in the door. Killing those inside.

That got me thinking about what the some of the uses for arty are in reality.
Destruction and suppression.

Seeing as we already have the destruction element, I think it would be interesting to add a suppression element to it as well.

Here is the idea.
Double the arty radius, but keep the same number of shells in the barrage to make it a little bit more random and not as predictable like it is now (and to make it larger of course).
Keep the shell explosion/damage the same, but, dramatically increase the distance that you will receive suppression from that shell (ie, the blurry vision).
Increase the time that the player has this blurry vision after receiving it from a shell impact. Something around 15-30 seconds. The larger the better but it may have balancing issues.

I feel this would better simulate arty than what is in now. The suppression effect would simulate the shockwave, soldiers being cautious about popping their heads out of where ever they were taking cover, lest the barrage had only experienced a short pause, not to mention the all manner of other reasons. Both psychological and physical.

When used in conjunction with assaulting troops, this should become an extremely lethal combination.

So, only two questions remain.
Is it possible and do people like the idea?
Last edited by Lucid Nightmare; 2007-02-16 at 11:57..
Old 2007-02-16, 02:36   #2
BetterDeadThanRed

Yeah, I like it.
Old 2007-02-16, 10:29   #3
DrMcCleod

The following video (Iraq) shows an insurgent rocket launching position being used and then a US counter-artillery strike.
Go to 2:20 to see what an artillery strike looks like, it is rather like you suggest.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f736a_4507

*edited* *blush*
Last edited by DrMcCleod; 2007-02-16 at 10:42..
Old 2007-02-16, 10:37   #4
Lucid Nightmare

indeed. An invisible video link.....
Old 2007-02-16, 11:43   #5
causticbeat

what that makes me want is more smoke on arty shell impact
Old 2007-02-16, 11:47   #6
[PTG]Z.user

I love watching the arty through my scope..its sooo pretty lol.
I like the idea of a ringing noise for a few seconds after arty hits to give it that realism feel.
Old 2007-02-16, 11:48   #7
[EtE]Ryanplatt

omg the sound of that arty is fantastic.. i want one!
Old 2007-02-16, 11:55   #8
Lucid Nightmare

notice the duct kicked up by the shockwave? That'd probably knock you on your arse and make your ears hurt real bad.

All ties into my suppression idea. Unfortunately, the blurry screen effect is probably the best that could be done with the bf2 engine. It would be nice if people inside the suppression radius were forced to go prone to simulate the shockwave, but probably not possible.
Old 2007-02-16, 13:56   #9
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

impossible to edit the vbf2 arty. changes are coming however to get rid of vbf2 arty and put in PR specific long range support. 0.6
Old 2007-02-16, 14:13   #10
DrMcCleod

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]fuzzhead
impossible to edit the vbf2 arty. changes are coming however to get rid of vbf2 arty and put in PR specific long range support. 0.6

Interesting news!

(Use the sound effects off the video, oh plz, oh plz, oh plz).

Tags
arty