project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2013-10-09, 21:55   #1
Ulysses
Default Constant jet & chopper noise

I feel that the noise of jets, and helicopters on small maps, carries too far in 1.0.
On some maps you don't get a moment where you can't hear any air vehicle. Also you can often hear them starting at the enemy main base.

I assume the ranges of sounds have been changed to be more realistic, but you have to take into account that in a real battle the bases of air vehicles as well as the areas where airborne jets wait for attacking orders (not sure of the technical term for this... staging area?) would probably be a lot further away, i.e. out of earshot. So you'd only occasionally hear aircraft come in, and leave again. Pretty much as it was before 1.0 (except for the occasional soundbug).

Instead, on maps like khamisiyah and others, you don't get any quiet moments at all any more...
Ulysses is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 22:41   #2
ExeTick
Supporting Member

Default Re: Constant jet & chopper noise

this is a VERY known problem in PR. so it is nothing new.

ExeTick is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-10, 05:12   #3
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
I feel that the noise of jets, and helicopters on small maps, carries too far in 1.0.
On some maps you don't get a moment where you can't hear any air vehicle. Also you can often hear them starting at the enemy main base.
If you're hearing things start up in the enemy main and you aren't in visual range, something is messed up with your sound settings as that's not how it's intended to be.
Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-10, 13:05   #4
Steeps
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Psyrus View Post
If you're hearing things start up in the enemy main and you aren't in visual range, something is messed up with your sound settings as that's not how it's intended to be.
Oh? I thought it was just my awesome headset...

Steeps is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 00:15   #5
Murphy

I have had this "issue" for a very long time, and I know that it comes down to my external sound card and the drivers for it. I have become accustomed to hearing other vehicles from inside a tank, and I have the ability to know when CAS is up and the general area they are in. The issue is with the finer sounds, the footsteps and the reloading sounds are quite hard to pinpoint even though you hear them as if the enemy was in the same room as you.

I got used to it, and now have to accept that close combat in a busy area is solely visual.
Murphy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 17:32   #6
Ulysses

Oh. So there wasn't any change to sound ranges in 1.0 at all?
Now that i think of it, before installing 1.0 i upgraded from my ancient WinXP-32 to Win7-64. Maybe its the new drivers then...
Ulysses is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-17, 10:31   #7
[R-DEV]​camo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Same with me, i hear the helicopters start up in main from the other side of the map. Funny thing is this only ever started with a new (crappy) pair of ear buds, never had it before my old ones broke.

camo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-18, 00:19   #8
Solid Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeps View Post
Oh? I thought it was just my awesome headset...
Yeah, when I plug in my headset I can hear nearly everything on the map.
Solid Knight is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-18, 01:54   #9
saXoni
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Psyrus View Post
Uh, no... it's normal.
saXoni is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-18, 06:20   #10
Spook
Supporting Member

enable eax. if i disable it i will hear every single sound on the battlefield. if i am in our main i will hear enemies shooting inside their main. if i shoot at something out of viewrange i can hear the bullet impact 4-5 seconds later. choppers are always hearable as if they are 200m away from you even if they just start up in their main and i am 2km away from it. impossible to locate any sounds.

Spook is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
chopper, constant, jet, noise