project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
30 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2005-09-02, 10:49   #1
Toy
Default 203 round vs vehicles

Hailo suggested that I post this here to see what you guys think, so here goes.

Does anyone what 203 round is used in BF2? Just that it seems extraordinary to me that a 203 round can take out a lightly armoured vehicle in one hit - BOOM, that's it, you're dead.

I know the 203 takes numerous different ammo types but I would have thought that standard issue for the assault class should be a HE round, which is primarily designed for use against infantry targets. Surely the HEDP grenade type, which could take out a vehicle in one hit, would not be as widely available and therefore would not be standard issue for the assault class?

It seems to me that there should be two alternatives here:-
â$¢ 203 rounds are M406 HE grenades, great against soft targets, not so good against even light armour.
- Tanks should be virtually immune to these grenades, however the turret gunner is still liable to be taken out.
- Humvee and Vodnik take light damage, 2-3 grenades should be required to destroy.
- Jeep and Buggy's occupants should be killed when hit, and the vehicle should take moderate damage.

â$¢ 203 rounds are M433 HEDP grenades, more expensive and less widely available. They can pierce upto 2 inches of armour plate, and have the same splash damage as HE grenades.
- Tanks should be lightly damaged, destroyed in 4-5 hits.
- Humvee and Vodnik should take large amounts of damage, 1-2 grenades to destroy.
- Jeeps and Buggy's are destroyed when hit.

What do you think?

EDIT: Good reference here: http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/i...40mm_ammo.html
Toy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-02, 15:43   #2
Djuice

Even with the HEDP rounds its wont even hurts/damage tanks, as most tanks in the game have armour ranging from 600mm+ in the frontal zone, its cant even penetrate the rear or top sections of tanks. It might be able to damage APCs as they usually only have 20-40mm of armour.
Djuice is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-02, 16:18   #3
Hoss

THe nade launchers need major tweaking as they stand in vanilla BF2 IMO, I hate the bunny hopping noob tubers in servers right now.
Hoss is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-02, 18:13   #4
Eddie Baker
Banned
Default Re: 203 round vs vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy
It seems to me that there should be two alternatives here:-
â$¢ 203 rounds are M406 HE grenades, great against soft targets, not so good against even light armour.
- Tanks should be virtually immune to these grenades, however the turret gunner is still liable to be taken out.
- Humvee and Vodnik take light damage, 2-3 grenades should be required to destroy.
- Jeep and Buggy's occupants should be killed when hit, and the vehicle should take moderate damage.

â$¢ 203 rounds are M433 HEDP grenades, more expensive and less widely available. They can pierce upto 2 inches of armour plate, and have the same splash damage as HE grenades.
- Tanks should be lightly damaged, destroyed in 4-5 hits.
- Humvee and Vodnik should take large amounts of damage, 1-2 grenades to destroy.
- Jeeps and Buggy's are destroyed when hit.

What do you think?

EDIT: Good reference here: http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/i...40mm_ammo.html
Djuice is correct, the damage to tanks would be nil, even with the HEDP round. Against IFVs it would be more effective, but 4-5 rounds is still a bit too few. The high velocity 40mm grenades used by the Mk-19 proved effective against BMPs in ODS. Not sure after how many rounds, though.

There may be a few photos floating around of vehicles struck by 40mm grenades. I know I've seen one of Manuel Noriega's Learjet hit by 40mm grenade and LAW rounds.
Eddie Baker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-12, 08:57   #5
Toy

Does this mean that you guys are going to be looking at altering the amount of damage 40mm grenades do to vehicles then? - That would be brilliant.
Toy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-12, 20:50   #6
Djuice

Yes. its in thw works :P
Djuice is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
203, round, vehicles