project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
30 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2004-12-21, 23:44   #1
Mighty_Matt
Default Tank Crews - How many!?

i see this as something that will ultimatly define how this mod works and what it is

ofcourse True realism demands there must be a seperate driver and gunner

BUT Will i realy find someone willing to drive my ass around out of the kindness of their heart with the same dexterity i could with enough co-operation to go where i need him while he has considerably LESS fun than me (i mean think about it, he has no gun!), i understand there is a newfangled points system in BF:2 that would make it somewhat worthwhile, but still - No fun!

there Might be enough people like that, it Might work, but if it doesn't - Tank Combat will turn into an unco-ordinated mob of headless-chickens with large guns and ultimatly they may lose the usage they need altogether as people abandom them (Gunner can't drive - Driver would rather be a gunner)

I'm not saying there are NO people out there willing to contribute to this realistic gameplay, but if its anything like DCR it will fall into a very small Niche very fast

so what will it be? - Driver and Gunner or 'Commander' who does both??
Mighty_Matt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 23:57   #2
Ugly Duck

I see it as 3 people to operate a tank, each with an equaly important role.(this way a squad of 6 can operate 2 tanks in unison)

1-The Driver: Drives the tank(c'mon, these things wont be the sissy things of vannila, theyre HUGE) as well as spotting targets he can see(he has a turret behind him, he can only see in front really) and operates smoke launchers(for covering the tanks retreat or any forces surrounding it, I believe real tanks can launch smoke some distance in order to cover infantry and fellow armour).

2-Gunner: This guy has a realy REALLY big gun, and a little(by comparison) one for the pesky infantry that try to shoot out his site...

3-Commander kinda self explanitory, tells the gunner where to shoot, and the driver when to stop(if the tanks dont get stabilization the driver will need to stop to take shots).

If the tanks are given their true power, then they should need teamwork to operate. Not to mentions the split points will help, as well as many people do indeed enjoy simply helping out. Those are the kind of the people we want driving anyways.
Ugly Duck is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 06:09   #3
solodude23

Default Re: Tank Crews - How many!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Matt
i see this as something that will ultimatly define how this mod works and what it is

BUT Will i realy find someone willing to drive my ass around out of the kindness of their heart with the same dexterity i could with enough co-operation to go where i need him while he has considerably LESS fun than me (i mean think about it, he has no gun!), i understand there is a newfangled points system in BF:2 that would make it somewhat worthwhile, but still - No fun!

there Might be enough people like that, it Might work, but if it doesn't - Tank Combat will turn into an unco-ordinated mob of headless-chickens with large guns and ultimatly they may lose the usage they need altogether as people abandom them (Gunner can't drive - Driver would rather be a gunner)

I'm not saying there are NO people out there willing to contribute to this realistic gameplay, but if its anything like DCR it will fall into a very small Niche very fast

Apparently you doubt that it would work. You obviously havn't played the mod "DCR" for BF: 1942. It works fine. Many actually enjoy driving, as well as gunning. Don't worry.
solodude23 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 14:01   #4
BlakeJr
Retired PR Developer

Operation Flashpoint worked rather nicely I think. There you had 3 crewmembers. Driver, gunner and commander.
True, it takes a lot of coordination but that is part of the FUN :P .
The problem with this system as I see it is off-line playability. Will the AI be good enough to substitute human crewmembers in any multicrew vehicle?

If driving a tank is boring, wait til they introduce the loader! Now THAT is a boring position. Realistic? Sure. Not all tanks have automatic loadingmechanisms. In fact, if I remember correctly, at least some versions of the M1 MBT does not have an autoloader but requires an extra crewmember to load the main gun.
(This info comes from books written by Harold G Coyle)

{ pretty sig removed construction on new one has not begun }
... yet ...
BlakeJr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 17:43   #5
Tacamo

AFAIK the US military was never too keen on autoloaders and haven't used them on any of the M1 series. Autoloaders helped the suit the Soviet doctrine better since for every three tank crews they'd have save enough men to equal another tank crew and they had a hell of a lot of tanks.
Tacamo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 19:15   #6
Wolfmaster
Retired PR Developer

anyway, I don't think loader position should be included. because that's just to boring to do. no-one will want to do that and we might even get people tk-ing to be gunner in stead of loader.

Wolfmaster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 20:15   #7
AgentX

What if you had the gunner position manually load a round in instead of it autoloading?
AgentX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 20:58   #8
Ugly Duck

Default Re: Tank Crews - How many!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solodude23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Matt

Apparently you doubt that it would work. You obviously havn't played the mod "DCR" for BF: 1942. It works fine. Many actually enjoy driving, as well as gunning. Don't worry.

As for loader, not a good one. All you do is press a button and it loads a round. You dont see anything, you dont hear anything except the gun and the gunner telling you what round to load. All it is, is click and watch the round go into the tube.. then you get a point if he shoots something. Not to mention... 3 people is already a lot for 1 tank... 4 is pushing it. And as loader is the most boaring job, whos going to do it? What if no one uses it and tanks turn into a big mess of switching from position to position.
Ugly Duck is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 23:24   #9
hundeswehr

in americas army. the people are always wanting to drive the strykor apc. i think if it is done so that it is not something everyone can do then it'll be fun cause people will want to do it entusiastically.

imo. the game should start and eveyone should be placed in the left of a menu. to the right of the menu are classes, and people should click on the one they want and when times up the people that have not picked will get whatever is left on the rgiht menu.... just like in americ'as amry. this way drivers do the driving, not everybody and this takes the easinest or boringness of driving a tank. sinc eevryone can do it without any problem in battlfield1942
hundeswehr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 23:41   #10
solodude23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hundeswehr
in americas army. the people are always wanting to drive the strykor apc. i think if it is done so that it is not something everyone can do then it'll be fun cause people will want to do it entusiastically.

imo. the game should start and eveyone should be placed in the left of a menu. to the right of the menu are classes, and people should click on the one they want and when times up the people that have not picked will get whatever is left on the rgiht menu.... just like in americ'as amry. this way drivers do the driving, not everybody and this takes the easinest or boringness of driving a tank. sinc eevryone can do it without any problem in battlfield1942
I agree, but not with vehicles. I think that it should be like that with weapons in BF2. Example.: Each squad needs a Squad Leader, 1 Medic, 1 Gunner (AR), 2 Riflemen, 1 Gredadier, and 1 Anti-Armour. Something of that sort. Instead of 15 ppl choosing grenadier just because its better. Then there would be no purpose of riflemen and other things really.
solodude23 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
crews, tank