project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > OverClocking & Networking
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
OverClocking & Networking Anything related to Overclocking & Networking here

Old 2021-07-07, 16:52   #1
Trekkie
Default weird lag problems on my new PC

So I got a new computer, got PR installed, it works, but I get DDOS level lag. I restart my cable modem & router, it's fine for awhile, then the lag starts again. Even just unplugging my network cable from the computer and plugging it back in seems to solve the problem. I don't even have to disconnect, I just unplug it for like ten seconds, plug it back in, I'm still in the game, and the lag is gone and my connection is good... for awhile. Maybe a minute, maybe an hour, but eventually the lag comes back.

I don't know whether this is a Windows 10 problem, an issue with my specific computer, or maybe something about the way my computer's connecting to the web vs the way my old one was, or what. Gotta sort this out quick because I got like a week and a half to get a refund on this PC if that's what I'm gonna do.

System Information
------------------
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (10.0.19042)
Architecture: 64-bit
Current Culture: English (Canada)
Motherboard: Acer Nitro N50-600(DCH)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz (Physical: 6, Logical: 6)
Memory: 8.00 GB
DIMM Modules: ChannelB-DIMM1: 8.00 GB @ 2666 MHz
Page File: 9.08 GB
.NET Framework: 4.6+ Release Build: 528372, Runtime: 4.0.30319.42000
Trekkie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-07, 17:00   #2
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: weird lag problems on my new PC

Are you really running a single stick of 8GB RAM? It's double data rate memory, so you are not running that stick at 2666MHz, but 1333MHz - no idea if that could cause 'DDoS levels of lag', whatever that means, but it certainly is not optimal for any PC (whether made for gaming or not).

You listed no graphics card, either, and if you have none, then you will be unable to run this game (and surprised you are able to get it to load at all, really). Your i5-9400F CPU does not have a graphics processor (that is the "F" designation, means lacking integrated graphics), and that would be required for any significant PC game.

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-07, 20:27   #3
Trekkie

If it was a RAM issue then why would it temporarily go away when I disconnect and reconnect my network cable? Thanks for the advice about my memory setup.

I left out my graphics card info, my GPU is an NVIDIA 1650 4gb that comes with the Acer Nitro N50. It runs great, high framerate and everything, it's overkill for PR.
Old 2021-07-07, 20:29   #4
Trekkie

By DDoS level of lag, I mean the type of lag you get during a DDoS... position and orientation keep skipping around and it's hard to do anything. Mumble stays fine though.
Old 2021-07-08, 16:37   #5
SemlerPDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie View Post
By DDoS level of lag, I mean the type of lag you get during a DDoS... position and orientation keep skipping around and it's hard to do anything. Mumble stays fine though.
I had not realized this was a laptop, had not seen you listed the laptop mfg/model under motherboard... laptops are notoriously incapable of dealing with the heat of extended use PC gaming without good design and setup.

Troubleshooting would require keeping an eye on several things while this is happening. Assuming this is nothing simple like you've not set the power plan to maximum performance, background tasks or included bloatware uploading crap while you try to game, or other tasks taking up your available computing overhead, or operation outside the design of this laptop, there are things to try and monitor.

You should be watching usage percentage of both CPU & GPU, and temperatures on each, using an on screen display or file logging option. This seems like something is getting throttled when you are in the action - and it's not worth it to assume anything at this point without looking deeper. Odd behavior such as improvement when ethernet cable disconnected may be a genuine indicator or byproduct of the root cause, or may be an unrelated false positive or coincidence.

Start by getting eyes on the CPU/GPU usage and thermals while it occurs, then go from there. If it is running too hot, you can try positioning it off the desk, on a stand, or perhaps with a fan blowing across it. If it is pinning CPU usage at 100%, you can try limiting background tasks and other software, and increasing in-game graphics settings to take load off of the CPU and force it onto the GPU. If the GPU is pinning at 100%, you can try lowering the in-game graphics settings to lighten that load.

Seems like throttling or usage competing with other programs/tasks - if this ends when you unplug from the internet and this is the case, perhaps it is some sync task running in the background? These sorts of things can be limited on a per-program basis, and for certain Windows functions as well, but you gotta identify them first.

Best wishes and good luck - if you can't figure out what the cause is, there is no reason to believe a new/other laptop would not perform any different.

Old 2021-07-12, 07:17   #6
Trekkie

It's not a laptop, it's a desktop.

The problem mysteriously stopped. The only thing that changed was... the weather got cooler. There was a heat wave during the time when I was having the problems. So maybe it's a cooling problem. But I don't get why that would cause it to go away when I interrupt the connection. What you're saying makes more sense, maybe some background internet thing going on. I've got some heat monitoring software now, so if it happens again I'll watch the temps and see if it coincides.
Old 2021-07-12, 19:40   #7
SemlerPDX

Quote:
It's not a laptop, it's a desktop.

The problem mysteriously stopped. The only thing that changed was... the weather got cooler. There was a heat wave during the time when I was having the problems. So maybe it's a cooling problem. But I don't get why that would cause it to go away when I interrupt the connection. What you're saying makes more sense, maybe some background internet thing going on. I've got some heat monitoring software now, so if it happens again I'll watch the temps and see if it coincides.
Open the case of this desktop -- is there just ONE stick of RAM in there?

What does the CPU cooler look like? What does the cooling unit on the graphics card look like?

I get that you are trying to decide if this is a worthy system while you still have time to return it, if it has just one stick of RAM and some stock CPU starfish cooler that came with that processor, my advice would be to return it and do some proper research then build or buy a better system (price v. performance wise)

Old 2021-07-13, 05:01   #8
Trekkie

Yeah it's just one stick of RAM in there... and this system is built for high specs at low quality. The cooling situation is terrible. So yeah I'm thinking of returning it and doing a proper custom build. There is no case fan! I can install one but looking at the system I'm like "ouch" ...just everything about it is weird.
Old 2021-07-13, 16:45   #9
SemlerPDX

Quote:
Yeah it's just one stick of RAM in there... and this system is built for high specs at low quality. The cooling situation is terrible. So yeah I'm thinking of returning it and doing a proper custom build. There is no case fan! I can install one but looking at the system I'm like "ouch" ...just everything about it is weird.
To be clear: That system is built for high specs on paper for those who are not familiar with the tricks used to 'spoof specs' to look on par with expensive well designed gaming PC's.

Get your money back, do your research, and build your own PC - plenty of video tutorials on YT.