project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Faction Archives
22 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Faction Archives Community factions that have been archived.

Old 2012-12-06, 17:06   #1
Sex_Cactus
Default Why No Korean Factions?

I know that these factions are all being developed by the community (and I would help if I knew anything about it), but is there really no one who wants to see South Korea vs North Korea? Aside from the fact that it's a full scale war that could actually happen any day now, I think it would offer a lot of new gameplay mechanics and allow for other factions to join in on various maps, like the US, China, Canada, Britain, and Japan (if anyone makes them too). Seems like introducing Korea into the mix would be more interesting than some of the other factions that are currently being worked on, not that they shouldn't be made as well. Just my 2 cents. I don't know if anyone has discussed this before or if anyone has been working on it, and if they have then I'd like to know. Or if you can point me in the right direction to learn how to model things myself... that would also work.
Old 2012-12-06, 17:10   #2
SShadowFox
Default Re: Why No Korean Factions?

Community Factions, are made by the community, a few DEVs helps them, also there are some guys that help there and now are DEVs, nobody is making South Korea nor North Korea because nobody wants or didn't show any intention on doing so.
Old 2012-12-06, 17:35   #3
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

In the ol' days the map briefings sometimes alluded to scenarios between North korean forces and western nations. It was always a good idea for PR, but the amount of people wanting to work on Asian assets has traditionally been few.

Old 2012-12-06, 17:54   #4
Sex_Cactus

I know there's at least a few dozen Koreans running around PR, and I wonder if any of them actually know that making ROK and DPRK factions is even possible. I'm wondering how PMC's and African Resistance has gotten more attention than the Korean factions. Granted they're both interesting factions that deserve to be in the game. I just don't see why real world conditions haven't elicited more interest.

At any rate, I can't imagine either the ROK or DPRK would be that difficult (compared to, say the French) since they would naturally borrow a lot of existing models. If someone could show me where to look for learning how to model (and map), then I could at least get it started. I happen to live in South Korea, so I can ask my Korean friends about their experience in the military and whatnot.
Old 2012-12-06, 19:53   #5
simeon5541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sex_Cactus View Post
I know there's at least a few dozen Koreans running around PR, and I wonder if any of them actually know that making ROK and DPRK factions is even possible. I'm wondering how PMC's and African Resistance has gotten more attention than the Korean factions. Granted they're both interesting factions that deserve to be in the game. I just don't see why real world conditions haven't elicited more interest.
List of ongoing military conflicts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...2%80%93present

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...icts_in_Africa

How many conflicts you can see at Korean peninsula
and how many throughout African continent today and in last 50 years ?

If you really live in SK and have such a burning desire to see both Korea's in PR
then assemble developing team and start working on those factions.
Old 2012-12-06, 21:38   #6
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

There is no point starting it if unless you have a dedicated team that can get the ball rolling, and it surely helps alot to have some modding experience yourself in the first place.

I would suggest you to start getting that experience by taking tasks for other community factions or other projects like PR: Falklands

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f38...ity-tasks.html

Or the syrian uprising minimod (they neeed mappers, too, IIRC):

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f38...need-help.html

Though before you really start doing anything that goes ingame you need to do some tutorials.
For modeling, you need 3Ds Max 9 (not 2009, 9, although 8 would do too if you have it), and complete at least these basic tutorials:

As for mapping, you need to get Bfeditor and complete tutorials you find here:

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...inners-up.html

It is generaly advised to make a complete, working, small map for vanilla Bf2 before you get into PR mapping, as it will make you quite familiar with the editor and will save you a lot of trouble down the road.

I hope you are serious about this and look forward to seeing your work around here

Old 2012-12-12, 00:55   #7
colodorian

Well if you think about it, PR is swamped with BLUFOR choices. I mean you have the US(Army, Marines), the British, the Germans, the Russians (sometimes), Canadians, the IDF, the upcoming French, community factions etc. When it comes to OPFOR I think the only faction really worth working on would be a North Korean one. The OPFOR choices are usually the Russian and MEC plus an assortment of insurgent groups a la taliban, insurgents, hamas and militia which kinda just play the same to me. I don't know how the N.K fight (when was their last war besides the Korean Confict?) but it would be nice to have it like a Russian, conventional style army.

Back to my corner...
Old 2012-12-12, 05:13   #8
162eRI

Like stated above, people working on Asian assets has traditionally been very few.Even within PR as Chinese assets are not the most developed one of the mod (compared to other factions).
Here some old threads about the Korean and Japanese factions:
-https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f388-pr-bf2-community-modding/22593-faction-proposal-jgsdf-forces.html
-https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f388-pr-bf2-community-modding/51749-faction-proposal-korean-peoples-army-ground-forces.html
Anyway, as it is now, there's no point doing this faction, it's far too late and ask for too much work.
Old 2012-12-12, 10:03   #9
godfather_596

I agree there should be an NK faction it would be pretty cool.
Old 2012-12-12, 14:05   #10
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

As I just posted in the last topic, this isn't the suggestions forum...

If you want to see a faction ingame, suggesting it isn't going to make it happen. You need to put a team together and make it happen if you want, or "hope" that someone else will do it but that's all you can do.

While I do agree both a N Korea and a S Korea factions would be awesome for the mod (mainly the N Korean one), it isn't as simple as "borrowing some existing weapons/vehicles", there is a hell of a lot of work to be done on top of that. It took me and a team of some experienced developers, + a bunch of community contributors around 8 months to make PR:Falklands where yes, that was two factions but pretty much all the weapons and vehicles that where used existed already in PR, but there is soo much work to be done on top of that and there is always small, and sometimes big differences between the models/textures ingame and the ones you need. You also need to think about the maps you need to make for the new faction to play on, they take a hell of a lot of time to make on there own especially for someone starting out with mapping who don't know all the tips and tricks yet on how to seriously speed up some stages so your talking around 8 months for a mapper to make a decent sized map alone...

But if you really want to do this, all the information is out there for how to go about it, and if you can't find it, you need to ask the right questions and show a willingness to learn not just "I can help if you point me in the right direction".

- Locked for being a suggestion outside of the suggestions forum.

Tags
factions, korean