project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Faction Archives
22 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Faction Archives Community factions that have been archived.

Old 2013-03-29, 21:06   #1
Granine
Default Irish Republican Army, IRA, OpFor Faction?

I thought I'd throw the idea out there, I myself have no modding experience but I do have an idea as to how the organization for it's development content. If the idea catches the eye of either an individual or team of modders then I'd be more than happy and eternally grateful for the interest in pushing this through.

PR could use another insurgent type OpFor faction and the IRA seemed like a good idea.

Anyone who might take any interest please feel free to grill me on specifics!
Old 2013-03-29, 21:41   #2
Amok@ndy
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Irish Republican Army, IRA, OpFor Faction?

i dont think that the IRA would bring sth new to PR,

1. there are no maps, and IRA would prefer Urban maps which arent possible in bf2 without decreasing the detensity of the buildings

2. no new content (weapons etc) or gameplay

Old 2013-03-29, 22:18   #3
Granine

Valid points, please forgive any shortsightedness demonstrated by the idea.
Old 2013-03-30, 20:04   #4
LaSeandre
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Amok@ndy View Post
i dont think that the IRA would bring sth new to PR,

1. there are no maps, and IRA would prefer Urban maps which arent possible in bf2 without decreasing the detensity of the buildings

2. no new content (weapons etc) or gameplay
I don't see much gameplay variation in the current factions or the ones proposed by the community at the moment, so point 2 seems to be moot.

The IRA also used a few weapons which I believe not covered in PR's current armament, like the AR-18 "Widowmaker", the spiritual forefather of such weapons as the SA-80 or G36.

Countering your first point, there are many possibilities for an IRA map, like countryside ambushes, or, as you say, urban settings. While there are challenges in making urban maps, I think it would be quite interesting to see and would make for exciting gameplay, with ambushes set up.
Old 2013-03-30, 20:41   #5
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

The primary problem is maps as Andy said :P the statics required for a British Isles scenario are very limited for any urbanised area.

The closest we'd come to a British scenario imo is a rural scenario (basically Operation harvest UK PR edition lol) but that wouldn't really work for this kinda of faction. I did start working for fun on a East Anglian Russian invasion map, but I got busy IRL and dropped it.

Old 2013-03-30, 21:09   #6
BroCop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSeandre View Post
I don't see much gameplay variation in the current factions or the ones proposed by the community at the moment, so point 2 seems to be moot.

The IRA also used a few weapons which I believe not covered in PR's current armament, like the AR-18 "Widowmaker", the spiritual forefather of such weapons as the SA-80 or G36.

Countering your first point, there are many possibilities for an IRA map, like countryside ambushes, or, as you say, urban settings. While there are challenges in making urban maps, I think it would be quite interesting to see and would make for exciting gameplay, with ambushes set up.
I think you have a misguided understanding of the COMFAC's. They arent proposed, they are actually being developed by the community.

Asking DEV's to make factions aint gonna cut it, simply put.
Old 2013-03-30, 21:13   #7
LaSeandre
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
I think you have a misguided understanding of the COMFAC's. They arent proposed, they are actually being developed by the community.

Asking DEV's to make factions aint gonna cut it, simply put.
That wasn't my intention. I was just responding to the kind of negative reply. And I guess proposed was the wrong word, my bad.

I would help make an IRA OpFor if I knew what I was doing...
Old 2013-04-23, 15:06   #8
Blackburn92xBHD

i kinda like this idea.. most parts for this mods are already existing: IED's, Weapons IRA used... and even a British Army from the 80's.. only thing that would be needed is IRA soldiers, Maps, and maybe some different cars then the Arabic trashcans
Old 2013-05-01, 12:36   #9
abates56

Far as the maps are concerned makes sense

However the IRA have used plenty of weapons, probably the same amount of weapons Insurgents use....... from lee enfields, M14's, M16's to RPG's or roadside bombs

Just thought I would throw that out there, not to mention I have always thought they would be great for insurgency game modes.
Old 2013-05-01, 21:33   #10
PoisonBill
Supporting Member

I could imagine a 1 km, urban, one cache kinda skirmish/mini insurg. urban map, not much else IMO. The thing is though that it will either be unrealistic compared to the real events that took place, or have a type of combat not up to standard with other PR minimods.

-
OT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Ar...%93Israeli_War

Would be more interesting, IMO.

Last edited by PoisonBill; 2013-05-01 at 21:39..

Tags
army, faction, ira, irish, opfor, republican