project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-02, 20:47   #1
Wolfe
Lightbulb Would you sacrifice move/shoot to 100% eliminate prone spam?

What if you could 100% eliminate prone spam?
What if you could 100% eliminate run'n gun?

UPDATE:

You can.
I did.
Move while shooting with deadly accuracy.
Iron sights more useful in CQB than scopes.
Run'n gun & prone dive reduced by 90%.

Stay tuned...

--------------------

Please disregard the information below. It is the original post which no longer applies because a new method has been developed.

You can.

By increasing the movement deviation while proportionally increasing the rate at which it narrows to a point.

The effect:
Any x/y movement (forward/backward, left/right) causes your weapon to shoot into the air or into the ground. Movement of your mouse is not affected, so you can still track moving targets or spin around without penalty. After moving, a 1 second pause allows you to hit a target 10m away. A 2 second pause gives the weapon full/normal accuracy, allowing you to hit targets far away, as normal.

In other words, a stationary soldier will always kill an enemy soldier on the run, and has 1-2 seconds to kill that enemy solder after he has stopped. After that, the enemy soldier has just as good accuracy as the stationary soldier. This places a significant advantage to the defender, far more than currently exists.

Testing results:
Six of us tested this feature. After hundreds of attempts, the number of run/prone shooting deaths was zero. The defender (who didn't move) ALWAYS killed his moving attacker who attempted to shoot while moving, or shoot immediately after moving (not waiting the 1-2 seconds), even at point-blank range.

Additionally, it also eliminated the peek-a-boo shooting tactic, where a player side-steps back and forth while looking through a window then headshots you. The peek-a-boo player is forced to stop for 1-2 seconds to aim which was plenty of time for the motionless player to pick him off.

The catch:
Since any x/y movement makes the weapon shoot the sky/ground, you are not able to crawl/shoot or walk/shoot without waiting that 1-2 seconds. For example, standing and looking through the scope while slowly walking forward would have 0 accuracy until that player stopped moving for 1-2 seconds.

The question:
Would you trade the ability to walk/shoot and crawl/shoot to 100% eliminate run'n gun, prone spam, and peek-a-boo shooting?

What about CQB?
Under the tested deviation model, walking from room-to-room and shooting targets while moving was not practical without waiting a second to fire. Now, I have played with the settings and it is possible to acquire a middle-ground (moving + killing targets 5-10m away) but that also means a prone-diver could prone dive at your feet and kill you.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Wolfe; 2008-05-10 at 22:45..
Old 2008-05-02, 20:55   #2
=Romagnolo=

Eliminate the prone spam is a dream. The PR team should put it in a test release and see what most of the testers think about it.
Old 2008-05-02, 20:57   #3
bosco_
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I'm all for it.

Old 2008-05-02, 21:03   #4
Deadfast
Retired PR Developer

What about moving with your sights up?

Is it affected as well?
Old 2008-05-02, 21:08   #5
Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadfast View Post
What about moving with your sights up? Is it affected as well?
Yes, that's the catch. Any movement whatsoever, regardless of stance, will cause your deviation to be affected for 1-2 seconds.
Old 2008-05-02, 21:23   #6
TheSkudDestroyer
Supporting Member

Lets save this for a test session.

Old 2008-05-02, 21:31   #7
Emnyron
Supporting Member

Let me get this straight, you can move your aimpoint freely around.(Your mouse)
But if you move around, you aint gonna hit squat.(Movement)

Correct me if Im wrong, but this whoud be awesome..
Old 2008-05-02, 21:35   #8
jOHNNYdOUBE
Supporting Member

Please do.

Old 2008-05-02, 21:49   #9
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Hmmm.

I suspect the law of unintended consequences would come into play here. In theory, it sounds excellent - everything that the mod needs.

In practice, it makes clearing buildings completely impossible if the defender can keep far enough away from grenades being chucked through doors, windows etc.

In practice, it means that instead of prone diving the next best thing in close quarters will be to run around street corners and wait for your target to follow you; because they'll be unable to shoot you at all as they come around.

In practice, it makes it likely that public play will crawl to a virtual standstill as the majority of players take to high positions and stay still in order to wrack up kills instead of getting bodies onto flags to capture them.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but I can really see this being detrimimental as the suggestion currently stands - and it's just as unrealistic as prone diving. Soliders can fire semi-accurate shots whilst moving slowly. It's not ideal, sure, but it beats standing completely still.

In short, this would completely reduce combat to "whoever sees the other guy first". Two people moving, first guy to lift his finger off the move button will win the engagement - not the best shot.

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." - Washington Post
Old 2008-05-02, 21:57   #10
Zimmer
Supporting Member

yes it is highly unrealistic to get a huge deviation when moving and it will be a campers game.

Removing insta prone is easy just make a small delay when you can shoot like one second then the guy standing will be the one going out victorius its my opinion though.

People don't realize that autism doesn't mean they're "stupid". Just socially inept. Like rhino... > > or in a worst case scenario... Wicca. =)- Lithium fox
I found this sentence quite funny and since this is a war game forum I will put it here. No offense to the french just a good laugh.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. All you do is leave behind a lot of noisy baggage."
Closed Thread

Tags
100%, eliminate, move or shoot, prone, sacrifice, spam